• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Book Selection

Which book?

• The Three Christs of Yspilanti

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • American Dirt

• All the Pretty Horses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glamorama

• Total voters
Does anyone else think that it may be better to discuss the book after reading, say, every chapter or every three chapters or so? It’s such a long book, and there is so much detail that discussing the entire thing at once is going to be overwhelming. How about if we read two or three chapters at a time and then discuss them?
I do. Weekly threads to discuss one or to chapter would lead to more fruitful discussions, I think, than commenting on the book as a whole and after we're finished.

That's similar to one of the ideas I suggested a while back about making a thread at the beginning and having people discuss it whenever they want to.

The book has seventeen chapters so if we were to have weekly threads to discuss two chapters at a time, all of it would take about two months. Is something like that what is meant by these ideas?

Here are the number of pages per chapter. If you wanted to break it into a month, given that the first chapter is soo short, something like this might work per week:

Week 1
1: 6
2: 60
3: 18
4: 38
5: 17
Total: 139

Week 2
6: 20
7: 49
8: 43
9: 62
Total: 174

Week 3
10: 59
11: 38
12: 53
13: 43
Total: 193

Week 4
14: 32
15: 27
16: 34
17: 57
Total: 150

Can certainly split it over 2 months as well. :) Or maybe too many chapters equates to too many different topics? OMG the indecisiveness is going to be the end of me!

Here are the number of pages per chapter. If you wanted to break it into a month, given that the first chapter is soo short, something like this might work per week:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Can certainly split it over 2 months as well. :) Or maybe too many chapters equates to too many different topics? OMG the indecisiveness is going to be the end of me!

I think this is an excellent strategy.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

So typical of us. We will dissect the chapters, page count and time frame before we discuss the actual content. l feel so at home here.☺

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Sounds good to me. Frankly, there is already stuff in the Introduction I would be happy to discuss :p. Guesswork can be fun too after all :D.

Alright then, as far as I understand it, the first five chapters will discussed on the 17th.

I’m going to have to opt out of this round. I can’t get into this book at all. I love nonfiction, but Behave just isn’t up my alley, I’m afraid. I’ll stay tuned for the next book.

I’m going to have to opt out of this round. I can’t get into this book at all. I love nonfiction, but Behave just isn’t up my alley, I’m afraid. I’ll stay tuned for the next book.

How much of it did you read? Because I didn't enjoy the beginning when he was going on and on about complex science stuff, but as he got into the implications of the science, the real-life examples and effects, I was hooked. If you read at least three chapters and that's your conclusion, then I respectfully understand.

So many different reactions already haha! Frankly, I got lost outside the book during the complex science stuff researching each part of the brain instead of reading :oops: Got to pick up the speed!

In general, I think it's going to be normal that at times some books won't be up everyone's valley. Nothing wrong in that, if you gave it a shot, it's all good :) (For example, if we ever get a romance or something similar, I don't think I will finish it either.) Although I know that some books can be difficult to get into, but become amazing later on! Which is why I always give the first 100 pages a shot to see if it's going to get better.

So many different reactions already haha! Frankly, I got lost outside the book during the complex science stuff researching each part of the brain instead of reading :oops: Got to pick up the speed!

In general, I think it's going to be normal that at times some books won't be up everyone's valley. Nothing wrong in that, if you gave it a shot, it's all good :) (For example, if we ever get a romance or something similar, I don't think I will finish it either.) Although I know that some books can be difficult to get into, but become amazing later on! Which is why I always give the first 100 pages a shot to see if it's going to get better.
Very true, the only fiction I really enjoy is sci-fi/fantasy so I'll likely be giving some fiction selections a miss. Always worth giving a book a good try though! I count myself lucky that the first choice is right up my alley.

Reading the scientific chapter now. Finding it kinda of interesting. The gray stuff in back of my eyeballs is like a goverment bureaucracy, everybody is in everybody's business, no wonder we feel so exasperated at times, it's like all our regions are checking in with each other, maybe we have a raw wire that feels more intense interconnecting all this then NT's do, like a panic room always in the *on* state in our lobes.

Will this be the official post to review this book? l have followed you but l don't get any follow ups notifications. So l just headed back to this post.

Does everyone still want a thread made each week for the designated chapters? I only ask because only me and Aspsychata commented on the book. The rest of the comments seemed to be random people responding to my comments, unless I missed something. Should I just wait for the end of the month and make one thread to discuss the entire book?

Sorry guys, I'm happy with the threads, though it's been rather busy on my side. I should be able to comment in the evening.

Does everyone still want a thread made each week for the designated chapters? I only ask because only me and Aspsychata commented on the book. The rest of the comments seemed to be random people responding to my comments, unless I missed something. Should I just wait for the end of the month and make one thread to discuss the entire book?
Sorry I've been going through a "no interest in social media" phase this last week. I do like the thread format, I just randomly don't have any inclination to participate in online chat at the moment. I'll join the discussion when I get some inspiration to do so.

Thank you, onlything, for your immense contributions. And I had no intention of pressuring anyone to do anything. I simply wanted to confirm that the format we had chosen was still what we wanted. We'll stick with it. Thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom