• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best CBD oil for aspergers and/or autism

Edy Howey

Hi there,

I currently have a blog which I write about CBD oil and Hemp oil. I am interested in writing something about CBD oil and Asperger's

I want to know if anyone has taken CBD oil for their or their family members Aspergers. How this has helped? and what products they use and recommend?

Interested to get some feedback!

thanks.

Hi there,

I currently have a blog which I write about CBD oil and Hemp oil. I am interested in writing something about CBD oil and Asperger's

I want to know if anyone has taken CBD oil for their or their family members Aspergers. How this has helped? and what products they use and recommend?

Interested to get some feedback!

thanks.

I tried Provacan CBD Oil 1200mg. Cost £69.99.

This brand/strength came out top in the UK of the best CBD oils.

The only thing it did was make me feel horribly sick. The smell and taste - absolutely disgusting and vomit inducing, exacerbated by sensory issues related to ASD.

Oh, I'm also in excess of £70 (oil plus postage) out of pocket and left with a defunct bottle of CBD oil.

No positives from me I'm afraid.

I use CBD isolate and mix it myself. It's a lot cheaper that way.

I started taking it for anxiety, and it does OK for anxiety, but it does a surprising amount for sensory sensitivities. I wasn't expecting that result, but it really does make sensory stuff a lot easier to deal with.

Hi, my partner is an aspie who just started using cbd oil 3 months ago. The brand is Zen CBD oil, 500mg. It has had very positive effects - let me just list a few...
1. Does wonders for sensory overload. Finally able to go shopping in crowded areas and revisit places which have been associated with panic attacks and agoraphobia.
2. Able to 'break the routine' and take various modes of public transport instead of being able to only take specific bus routes.
3. Number of meltdowns decreased a LOT, used to be multiple times a week but now twice a month or so.
4. Much more comfortable making small talk in public, and interacting with acquaintances at school (as a graduate student). She has described previously, feeling like humans are scary and unable to make eye contact at all, but after using the oil, she said she has never felt so 'light' interacting with people.
5. Communication has improved greatly between us, and with her family. Able to understand a little more, where people are coming from and not see things as 'black and white' as before.
6. Does wonders for anxiety too, and has helped a lot with manic depression and suicidal thoughts. She described that before, she used to feel like she was a black hole and any friends who got close would be 'polluted' by her dirtiness, but now that feeling has been somewhat lifted.

Have tried not taking CBD oil for a week, and can confirm that these changes can be attributed to the oil.

EDIT: My partner has Aspergers, agoraphobia, hypochondria and depression. Also has severe abandonment issues and insecurity, due to a very very trying and traumatic childhood.

Hi, my partner is an aspie who just started using cbd oil 3 months ago. The brand is Zen CBD oil, 500mg. It has had very positive effects - let me just list a few...
1. Does wonders for sensory overload. Finally able to go shopping in crowded areas and revisit places which have been associated with panic attacks and agoraphobia.
2. Able to 'break the routine' and take various modes of public transport instead of being able to only take specific bus routes.
3. Number of meltdowns decreased a LOT, used to be multiple times a week but now twice a month or so.
4. Much more comfortable making small talk in public, and interacting with acquaintances at school (as a graduate student). She has described previously, feeling like humans are scary and unable to make eye contact at all, but after using the oil, she said she has never felt so 'light' interacting with people.
5. Communication has improved greatly between us, and with her family. Able to understand a little more, where people are coming from and not see things as 'black and white' as before.
6. Does wonders for anxiety too, and has helped a lot with manic depression and suicidal thoughts. She described that before, she used to feel like she was a black hole and any friends who got close would be 'polluted' by her dirtiness, but now that feeling has been somewhat lifted.

Have tried not taking CBD oil for a week, and can confirm that these changes can be attributed to the oil.

EDIT: My partner has Aspergers, agoraphobia, hypochondria and depression. Also has severe abandonment issues and insecurity, due to a very very trying and traumatic childhood.

WOW! that's great to hear it helped so much. Thanks for all that information. Would you mind me using this or paraphrasing any of this within my article?

I use CBD isolate and mix it myself. It's a lot cheaper that way.

I started taking it for anxiety, and it does OK for anxiety, but it does a surprising amount for sensory sensitivities. I wasn't expecting that result, but it really does make sensory stuff a lot easier to deal with.
Hey, that's great to hear. I think I might suggest the option of mixing it yourself, perhaps gives more control over dosage etc.

I tried Provacan CBD Oil 1200mg. Cost £69.99.

This brand/strength came out top in the UK of the best CBD oils.

The only thing it did was make me feel horribly sick. The smell and taste - absolutely disgusting and vomit inducing, exacerbated by sensory issues related to ASD.

Oh, I'm also in excess of £70 (oil plus postage) out of pocket and left with a defunct bottle of CBD oil.

No positives from me I'm afraid.
Sorry to hear, i guess it doesn't work for everyone.

I once bought some CBD capsules to help with anxiety and sleep, but they had little or no effect - each capsule was 300mg, probably not enough to have any significant effect. Perhaps try taking a double dosage as see what happens.

I once bought some CBD capsules to help with anxiety and sleep, but they had little or no effect - each capsule was 300mg, probably not enough to have any significant effect. Perhaps try taking a double dosage as see what happens.
Yes, I think doses, on average, should be double at least.

Hi there,

Interested to get Shop CBD some feedback!

thanks.
Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice that may help our boy, we have come across articles on cannabis oil ( albeit mainly on American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ?

Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice that may help our boy, we have come across articles on cannabis oil ( albeit mainly on American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ?
Are you saying you're in the U.S. and you're asking if cannabis oil is legal in the U.S.? Cannabis is a broad term for a variety of plants. Hemp, a type of cannabis, is legal on the federal level if the products made from it have less than .3 % THC, the psychoactive substance in cannabis. CBD, another cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant is non-psychoactive.

On the state level in the U.S., legality depends on the state. A growing number of states have legalized cannabis aka "marijuana" recreationally and otherwise.

I don't have an opinion on whether parents should experiment with giving their young children CBD oil. I do know there is an FDA approved version of CBD oil that is approved and prescribed for childhood epilepsy and from my understanding is found to be effective. Giving children cannabis oil that has THC. That seems potentially problematic to me because the amount of THC can affect people differently. I personally don't think it would be a good thing to give a young child an amount of THC that resulted in them feeling "high", "baked", etc. I would consider that over-medicated in the same way I child could be overly-sedated from psych meds. I would find that sad in both cases.

As far as the brand I take, it's a locally made oil derived from organically grown hemp in my region and sold at a local CBD store. The cost if I recall correctly is $70 per 1 ounce bottle. I find that to be expensive and as such have questioned whether or not I want to continue incorporating it into my daily regimen.

Now I can speak about my experiences as an autistic adult (diagnosed) for whatever that's worth:

I've tried CBD oil that was THC free and it did absolutely nothing for me. I tried it daily for over 30 days. I've since learned that CBD without at least a trace amount of THC doesn't bind with the human body's own natural cannabinoid receptors. Personally I found it worthless to the point that I even question its true efficacy for people.

CBD oil with trace amounts of THC (aka "Full Spectrum CBD oil"): I've been taking this type of oil for around 9 months. I don't mind the taste (sublingual) and I enjoy the smell of the type I take because it's very reminiscent of some of the marijuana I used to get/smoke decades ago when I used to smoke pot. The type of oil I take is around 88mg of CBD and around 2mg of Delta 9 THC per 50ml. I take 50ml in the morning and 50ml in the evening. Does it help? I don't think it's placebo effect (ie my imagination) that I feel a noticeable (not dramatic) reduction in overall anxiety. I do know also for a fact that a surprising effect is a near complete elimination of truly random and unassociated thoughts that have plagued me my whole life also having ADHD (diagnosed). It's definitely not habit forming for me and totally non-psychoactive at that dosage level. I also have not had a desire to push the limits by taking a lot more at a time and "get high" from it. Could you get high from it? The product comes in a 1 oz bottle with a dropper. There is around 60mg of THC in the entire bottle. I would never have or leave the bottle around children because 10mg THC or higher, certainly the 60mg in the entire bottle would make most people feel very high. I do wonder if the positive effects I feel at the very small non-psychoactive dosage is really from the THC rather than the CBD. To that end, my prediction is that when more states legalize recreational cannabis, the demand for straight CBD products will wane and "Delta 8" products currently legal will likely have no demand any longer.

As an adult, I do find, as I've seen some others here comment about as well, that consuming an "edible" on occasion is therapeutic for me. Cannabis has always helped my mind relax better than anything else I personally have ever tried or experienced in my life. It's as though consuming an edible in the evening once or twice a week "resets my clock" in a good way. I personally would not give my minor children edibles as a therapy or otherwise because they do have a mildly intoxicating effect with as low as 5mg Delta 9 THC.

With all of that said, I don't advocate or recommend that people, fellow autistics try cannabis. I don't say this as some sort of legal disclaimer, I say it because I believe that kind of thing is an entirely personal journey. My experiences as detailed above may not be the same for everyone.

Last edited:
In UK CBD is sold as a dietary supplement. The higher the strength the more mad expensive it gets.
Tastes like dirt, oily, greasy and are supposed to keep it under tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.
(love to meet any young child that could manage that) :)

Are you saying you're in the U.S. and you're asking if cannabis oil is legal in the U.S.? Cannabis is a broad term for a variety of plants. Hemp, a type of cannabis, is legal on the federal level if the products made from it have less than .3 % THC, the psychoactive substance in cannabis. CBD, another cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant is non-psychoactive.

On the state level in the U.S., legality depends on the state. A growing number of states have legalized cannabis aka "marijuana" recreationally and otherwise.

I don't have an opinion on whether parents should experiment with giving their young children CBD oil. I do know there is an FDA approved version of CBD oil that is approved and prescribed for childhood epilepsy and from my understanding is found to be effective. Giving children cannabis oil that has THC. That seems potentially problematic to me because the amount of THC can affect people differently. I personally don't think it would be a good thing to give a young child an amount of THC that resulted in them feeling "high", "baked", etc. I would consider that over-medicated in the same way I child could be overly-sedated from psych meds. I would find that sad in both cases.

As far as the brand I take, it's a locally made oil derived from organically grown hemp in my region and sold at a local CBD store. The cost if I recall correctly is $70 per 1 ounce bottle. I find that to be expensive and as such have questioned whether or not I want to continue incorporating it into my daily regimen.

Now I can speak about my experiences as an autistic adult (diagnosed) for whatever that's worth:

I've tried CBD oil that was THC free and it did absolutely nothing for me. I tried it daily for over 30 days. I've since learned that CBD without at least a trace amount of THC doesn't bind with the human body's own natural cannabinoid receptors. Personally I found it worthless to the point that I even question its true efficacy for people.

CBD oil with trace amounts of THC (aka "Full Spectrum CBD oil"): I've been taking this type of oil for around 9 months. I don't mind the taste (sublingual) and I enjoy the smell of the type I take because it's very reminiscent of some of the marijuana I used to get/smoke decades ago when I used to smoke pot. The type of oil I take is around 88mg of CBD and around 2mg of Delta 9 THC per 50ml. I take 50ml in the morning and 50ml in the evening. Does it help? I don't think it's placebo effect (ie my imagination) that I feel a noticeable (not dramatic) reduction in overall anxiety. I do know also for a fact that a surprising effect is a near complete elimination of truly random and unassociated thoughts that have plagued me my whole life also having ADHD (diagnosed). It's definitely not habit forming for me and totally non-psychoactive at that dosage level. I also have not had a desire to push the limits by taking a lot more at a time and "get high" from it. Could you get high from it? The product comes in a 1 oz bottle with a dropper. There is around 60mg of THC in the entire bottle cbd vape juice. I would never have or leave the bottle around children because 10mg THC or higher, certainly the 60mg in the entire bottle would make most people feel very high. I do wonder if the positive effects I feel at the very small non-psychoactive dosage is really from the THC rather than the CBD. To that end, my prediction is that when more states legalize recreational cannabis, the demand for straight CBD products will wane and "Delta 8" products currently legal will likely have no demand any longer.

As an adult, I do find, as I've seen some others here comment about as well, that consuming an "edible" on occasion is therapeutic for me. Cannabis has always helped my mind relax better than anything else I personally have ever tried or experienced in my life. It's as though consuming an edible in the evening once or twice a week "resets my clock" in a good way. I personally would not give my minor children edibles as a therapy or otherwise because they do have a mildly intoxicating effect with as low as 5mg Delta 9 THC.

With all of that said, I don't advocate or recommend that people, fellow autistics try cannabis. I don't say this as some sort of legal disclaimer, I say it because I believe that kind of thing is an entirely personal journey. My experiences as detailed above may not be the same for everyone.
really appreciate your response and also a suggestion

really appreciate your response and also a suggestion
As an update: I stopped taking the Full Spectrum CBD oil a month ago or so. I just couldn't justify the cost. There was of course, zero withdrawal effects and as far as I can tell if there is any difference now vs. when I was taking it daily, it's negligible enough to where I can't definitively tell if there's any change at all. My opinion overall about it at this point then is inconclusive.

I'm still taking a THC edible usually once per week in the evening and I've found that for me, around 7mg is plenty since my goal isn't to get really inebriated. I say "inebriated" instead of "high" because a key reason I don't take THC edibles any more often is that to me, they feel like a cousin of drunk or something. It's not the same in effect as inhaling cannabis. It makes sense that THC edibles have some vague similarity to alcohol since THC edibles are processed through the liver whereas inhaled cannabis is not. Alcohol is of course also metabolized by the liver. Therefore, I've found that if I take more than 10mg of THC edible I feel similar to being mildly to moderately drunk and alcohol has never really been my thing.

I use a UK based company called CBD Brothers.

I use their Hybrid Gold 3% oil which is £60.

I took some cheaper stuff before, but took it now and then and never realised it needs to build up in the system, so taking it daily for weeks before you notice an effect.

As for effects. No idea. I been pairing it with various other lifestyle changes.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom