• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think people with Autism experience illness differently than neurotypical people?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punchr0ck3r17

It's been a little while.... I came down with what the doctor called a "minor bronchial infection" late last week and was out of commission for like 4 days. I had no energy, a nasty cough -which is still keeping me company sadly - a low-grade fever, a sore throat, a headache, and at one point, achy muscles. I felt awful!! :( But, my experience with being sick got me thinking... Do people with Autism have a different experience when sick that neurotypical people? Do we feel the symptoms of illness more intensely than our average, neurotypical counterpart? I was curious and wrote about it in my personal blog. Check it out if you're curious and if not, then at least leave me a comment with your thoughts on the whole Autism and being sick topic. I'm still not sure what I think....

Autistic sensory issues could certainly make any adverse symptoms worse. For instance, a sore throat that could be mildly annoying to one person might make an autistic person feel way over-stimulated. A rash that could be annoying to a neurotypical person could be absolutely maddening to an autistic. Etc.

As an old lady, I have found it best when dealing with sickness to try to accept the "sick role" and excuse oneself from obligations as much as possible. Passively lying in bed does get boring, but often it's exactly what a viral illness requires.

I'll be 46 next month. I can't tell what's normal for a woman at my age and what's not, but most other muddle-aged NT women don't seem to experience as much pain or discomfort as I do. And of course, what might start out to be a mere cold right now could really turn out to be a deadly new Chinese virus.:rolleyes:

Seriously, the memes I've been seeing lately would make you think that only Asian people can infect you with the virus, even if they've never even been to China. That's stupid and kind of racist.

Seriously, the memes I've been seeing lately would make you think that only Asian people can infect you with the virus, even if they've never even been to China. That's stupid and kind of racist.

I guess I'd better quarantine my wife.. :D

I think we feel everything more intensely. Physical sensations from illness, yes, I think so.
Just as I have strong emotions. Mostly not happy ones either.

I really have no idea, as it is not possible to know exactly how other people experience symptoms compared to mine.
One thing I have noticed, when I'm running a fever I suddenly become extremely touch sensitive, even to the point that I can't bear to have clothes on me, not sure if this is something that NTs also can experience? The stress of being ill adds to any other stress and can lead to being overwhelmed or overstimulated, perhaps.

I think the way people experience particular illnesses and symptoms vary so widely, both in how their bodies respond to a disease/injury and how they cope with what they experience, that it is impossible to say that NTs on average experience illness differently from ND people on average, there's just far too much in-group variation.

Just take how differently people respond to colds. When I get a cold I am out for the count, I feel extremely ill, achy, dizzy, exhausted, unable to concentrate, my nose runs constantly (I will get through 5 boxes of tissues a day), I am literally unable to work. My mum is the same. Meanwhile some people get a mildly sore throat and sniffle a bit and can go about their day as normal, with exactly the same virus, my dad and sister are like that. (for context, my mum and sister are NT, my dad and I are aspies).

On the other hand I cope with pain very well, I live with chronic back and ankle pain and it doesn't have any particular negative effect on my life, aside for an inability to run. I have been extremely prone to tonsillitis and ear infections since I was a small child and so I barely notice these illnesses even when they are very painful, while other people with minor symptoms will go straight to the doctor for antibiotics and take time off work.

The only way I can imagine any real difference is the potential for the symptoms to become overwhelming leading to a meltdown/shutdown.

One thing I have noticed, when I'm running a fever I suddenly become extremely touch sensitive, even to the point that I can't bear to have clothes on me, not sure if this is something that NTs also can experience?
It's not universal but isn't an uncommon experience. My (NT) mum experiences this, as did my Gran. Mum has silk pajamas specifically for when he has a temperature because it's the only material she can tolerate.

New Threads

Top Bottom