• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Pro-active

But how many people actually reside there (Scotty's Castle) year round?
8 full time permanent employees that live there all year round, and at mustering time they bring in 3 helicopter pilots. They have a base breeding stock of 16,000 head but that can get up to over 60,000 head some years.

Then again, what's a consistent high in degrees for all the huge deserts of Australia?
During summer you can expect many days to get up in to the high 40s, but being desert it does usually cool down a fair bit at night.

Another company boasted "hassle-free returns" but before I could get a return authorization, I had to take a video of my complaints and upload to a certain site and then they said it didn't upload so I had to do it again, etc. etc. I finally got my money back but it was nasty.
RMA considerations are the one thing that makes me cringe when ordering much of anything online. Where you have to inevitably "jump through all kinds of hoops" to return much of anything. Very stressful.

During summer you can expect many days to get up in to the high 40s, but being desert it does usually cool down a fair bit at night.
Around 120s Fahrenheit.

Comparable to Death Valley, though in some cases they've been higher, into the realm of the Sahara Desert.

Though I still have memories of being in 117 degrees in Walnut Creek California. About an hour from downtown San Francisco. When on occasion a summer day can seem like winter. :eek:

8 full time permanent employees that live there all year round, and at mustering time they bring in 3 helicopter pilots. They have a base breeding stock of 16,000 head but that can get up to over 60,000 head some years.
Sorry, I misread your question, I couldn't find a population for Scotty's Castle.

Sorry, I misread your question, I couldn't find a population for Scotty's Castle.
As far as I know it's a proprietary location and not a town per se. Though I suspect very few people reside there year around. A tourist attraction of sorts.

I love the desert in a nebulous way, but steer clear of Death Valley in its warmest months.

I love the desert in a nebulous way, but steer clear of Death Valley in its warmest months.
Even down in Adelaide as a kid I remember the tar boiling in the street out the front of our house. My brother and I were happily playing popping the bubbles until Mum yelled at us and put us both in a bath and attacked us with a scrubbing brush.

I drove from Melbourne to Darwin in summer once. The floor pan of the car got that hot that I had to put thongs on. You're allowed to drive barefoot here but driving with thongs on your feet is actually illegal, they can bend and get caught under the brake pedal. I had a long sleeved shirt on but the backs of my hands got that badly burnt on the steering wheel that they looked like pork crackling.

This is a common trick here as well, they make you jump through so many hoops that most people will just give up but they're legally advertising a discount.

And mangoes are a huge industry here, they grow in a large area of the country. Here's a map that shows our highest producing areas. Water can be a bit problematic here though.

View attachment 128180
This is an interesting map. I never thought there would be a map of mangos.

But...what is that dot in the middle of NT? Near Alice Springs? That's got to be desert and no water?

I'd love to live in QLD. It looks like there is a lot of mango growing near Cairns. Living on the Murray River would be nice too. Though that seems pretty far south for mangos.

...what is that dot in the middle of NT? Near Alice Springs? That's got to be desert and no water?
There's underground water there, the Great Artesian Basin. The trouble is that the water's hot, it comes out of the ground at around 80 degrees and they run it through a series of what looks like irrigation channels but it's really just to let the water cool down.

And I think you'd love the Murray River but you're correct that it's too cool for mangoes on an industrial scale. Some are grown there though, on the NSW Vic border. The riverina areas are known for oranges, stone fruits, and grapes.

I recently joined a "club" for purchases from a company which claimed I could get free shipping if I joined. Turns out the "free shipping" is really on a credit redeemable only at this company and I have to submit a copy of my sales receipt (really? this is all on line) and then WAIT for up to two weeks and then remember to go into my "points" section to redeem it. All the ads said "free shipping" and none of the bs involved to get something that was only a credit.
I forgot to mention the main reason for doing this - it's a tax write off. They can declare that they're committing so many hundreds of thousands of dollars to a marketing campaign but don't actually part with the money.

Most of the examples in that article are relative to people who have enough money to invest.

The Dodd Frank law was partially repealed in 2018. Protections in our country are being eroded by some popular politicians.

I have a much easier time advocating for others than for myself. I can get angry and get on the phone immediately to try to fix something for someone else. But to do it for myself takes much more effort.

That is an interesting phenomena and so very true. It's so much more motivating to help someone else, perhaps because you see their suffering.

Have they refunded you yet?

My least favourite unscrupulous business practice is 'free' trials that hammer you if you forget to unsubscribe

I want to be a mango farmer! I love.mangos and solitude. Imagine how fresh they'd be.
I've been growing mangos for about 30 years, BUT I moved halfway through and had to start all over again. I have about a dozen trees, each a different variety. They ripen over a period of months which is better than them coming all at once.

There is nothing better than a sun-ripened picked fresh Carrie mango.

There is nothing better than a sun-ripened picked fresh Carrie mango.
It surprised me just how many different varieties and flavours there are. Here the most popular seems to be the Bowen, named after the region in Queensland where they were developed although it's also known as a Kingston Pride.

Due to different climates there's different times of the year when they become ripe too. Darwin seems to get theirs earliest, harvesting in October, where as in Queensland their season doesn't really start until Christmas.

Have they refunded you yet?

My least favourite unscrupulous business practice is 'free' trials that hammer you if you forget to unsubscribe
So I was purchasing a very expensive HIPAA compliant cloud storage for my business, which was thousands of dollars that had to be paid by the year in one lump sum. My business closed and I kept the account open until the end of my paid year to take care of loose ends and besides it was already paid for.

So, they automatically renewed it for a full year and I did not catch it in time. They said I could cancel, but the current plan would stay in effect until July 2025 and I couldn't get my money back for the current year, even though I was only a few days late. This was about $3000.00 for a business no longer bringing in any money.

Well, it took awhile, but they did manage to refund the money. So, I guess the skills I have developed over 20+ years of advocating for my clients has come in handy during retirement.

It surprised me just how many different varieties and flavours there are. Here the most popular seems to be the Bowen, named after the region in Queensland where they were developed although it's also known as a Kingston Pride.

Due to different climates there's different times of the year when they become ripe too. Darwin seems to get theirs earliest, harvesting in October, where as in Queensland their season doesn't really start until Christmas.
Kingston Pride is grown here, but it is a "late" variety and not one of my favorites.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of mango varieties. Every time I think I have at least read of them all, I discover new ones.

Mangos are grown commercially in Florida and California and the varieties that do well in one location are not the best varieties for the other location.

Mangos are grown commercially in Florida and California and the varieties that do well in one location are not the best varieties for the other location.
This looked really weird to me the first time I saw it, every tree shaped like a perfect cube. Pruned and picked by machines. Not a lot of people like working out in the sun all day in Darwin and they always had a lot of trouble getting seasonal workers.

dyer_darwin_mangoes_020-web.jpg

There's underground water there, the Great Artesian Basin. The trouble is that the water's hot, it comes out of the ground at around 80 degrees and they run it through a series of what looks like irrigation channels but it's really just to let the water cool down.
Water coming out of the ground at 80C, that's about 176F, which is hot enough to kill most living things. (I realize there are some thermophilic bacteria, fungi, etc.) So that is why it is called Alice Springs! There must be artesian springs there. Are there "hot pots" where people can soak in hot water. Obviously not as it is coming out of the ground, but down river from where the water comes up. We do that here in places that have thermal springs, such as in the Rocky Mountains.
And I think you'd love the Murray River but you're correct that it's too cool for mangoes on an industrial scale. Some are grown there though, on the NSW Vic border. The riverina areas are known for oranges, stone fruits, and grapes.
That is weird. Here, stone fruits (peaches, etc) and grapes do not grow in the same areas as oranges. Oranges require no frost or freezes, whereas peach varieites require a certain number of "chill hours" which is temperatures under 40F. That is pushing it for oranges.

I don't grow anything commercially. I just love fruit of all kinds, but tropical fruits the best. I do visit, from time to time, some of the Australian sites. A tropical fruit forum used to have a participant from Australia, but haven't seen him in years and years.

New Threads

Top Bottom