• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being patient with behaviors neurotypcials do not (generally) tolerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have multiple tics. Hand flapping, stroking myself, carrying round comfort objects, rocking etc I struggle to speak to people particularly strangers. I rarely make eye contact and mostly look at the floor.

Does anyone here, however, accept behaviors that hardly any neurotypicals accept? That is the question here.
Give me a specific example of a behaviour that hardly any neurotypicals accept, and I'll tell you whether I accept it or not.

I think the point that @Judge made, that 'the reality is that the vast majority of neurotypicals are either indifferent or ignorant of autism altogether' is exactly right, so I don't think there are autistic behaviors that NTs don't tolerate. To me it's rather more simple; that every behavior in others that doesn't mimic their own is apt to be not tolerated.

If they know autism at all, it is most likely to be in the narrow framework of rocking back and forth or lack of responsiveness. They don't have a clue that someone who walks and talks like they do might be on the spectrum, and the only way to tell is if they don't make eye contact or prefer a dark room.

They are generally not tolerant of what they don't understand. Much, in fact, as might tend to be ourselves.

Somehow, magically/intuitively everyone is supposed to know
what "behaviors that hardly any neurotypicals accept"?

That is a flaw in the premise of this thread.
The assumption that people reading this have access to the
thoughts & feelings of a general group of people labeled NTs.

Even if they did, how would a person identify an NT?
Through a special gift that allows them to *just know* on sight
a person's neurology?

How about listing five or ten of these behaviors?

Certainly would be useful to have some behaviors listed.

Yes, and as you might be able to see, it doesn't make sense to
propose that people guess at what behaviors you want to examine.

The thread premise is on the obscure side.
You recall this is an autism support forum, right?

And then you ask mostly asd people what behaviors
neurotypicals don't generally tolerate.

As if the general membership here had a magical insight into that
and can identify neurology on sight.

Somehow, magically/intuitively everyone is supposed to know
what "behaviors that hardly any neurotypicals accept"?
Not everyone but maybe some posters.
That is a flaw in the premise of this thread.
The assumption that people reading this have access to the
thoughts & feelings of a general group of people labeled NTs.
Not all posters here are on the spectrum.
Even if they did, how would a person identify an NT?
Through a special gift that allows them to *just know* on sight
a person's neurology?
Any autism professionals here?
How about listing five or ten of these behaviors?
Better to ask an autism professional who could know better than me or at least is better at explaining it.

In that case, what's the point of keeping this thread open?

You asked for people to tell you what behaviors NT don't generally tolerate.
Now you're backpedaling.

You could try looking up some 'typically' unwelcome behaviors.
Not expect other people to do the work of proposing a thread topic.

Yes, but as you can see from the poster I quoted, I was asking a specific person.
I don’t understand. She can still answer. I just posted my thought. I am very comfortable chiming in here and usually we can all learn together. You know, it’s a community in a public space and all.

Yes, and as you might be able to see, it doesn't make sense to
propose that people guess at what behaviors you want to examine.
I am not proposing that other people guess, I thought maybe some poster know what behaviors are not generally acceptable to neurotypicals.
The thread premise is on the obscure side.
You recall this is an autism support forum, right?
Obscure side?
And then you ask mostly asd people what behaviors
neurotypicals don't generally tolerate.
Well, they might accept behaviors most neurotypicals they know do not tolerate.
As if the general membership here had a magical insight into that
and can identify neurology on sight.
I don't get this.
In that case, what's the point of keeping this thread open?
What?
You asked for people to tell you what behaviors NT don't generally tolerate.
Now you're backpedaling.
No, I am asking those who do know, if there are any, for examples of behaviors more widely tolerated by the autistic community than by neurotypicals.
You could try looking up some 'typically' unwelcome behaviors.
Not expect other people to do the work of proposing a thread topic.
Looking up some 'typically' unwelcome behaviors? How?
I don’t understand. She can still answer. I just posted my thought. I am very comfortable chiming in here and usually we can all learn together. You know, it’s a community in a public space and all.
Yes but chiming in here is not the problem, the problem is answering a question I asked her. I kindly ask; Why not wait until she answers before posting your thought?

Yes but chiming in here is not the problem, the problem is answering a question I asked her. I kindly ask; Why not wait until she answers before posting your thought?
Because I wouldn’t logically consider that option. I just answered it when I saw it and the person you asked wouldn’t be affected by my answer, logically speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom