• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being called weird by people also considered to be weird

CJinherPJs

Professional Weirdo
V.I.P Member
I'm curious to know how others here feel about this. At school I was called weird by quite a few people because of my social awkwardness and various other traits that set me apart. Anyway, on one occasion I was called weird by a girl with a mad stare who insisted on drawing on people's faces during lessons, made disturbingly realistic dog barking and growling noises and kept a set of plastic cutlery in her pencil case. She called me weird and I just couldn't take her seriously. I laughed and said "whatever". So... what are your thoughts?

I hate it because it only increases my feelings of differentness, though I try to not let it bother me. People calling me "weird" bothered me the most prior to learning about ASDs and discovering I'm on the spectrum.

It's just really small-minded to call others weird. I'd rather associate myself with weird folks rather than normal ones.

The preps I went to school with who had dull, narrow views on the world were considered as being normal while people like myself, who actually formed thoughts of their own, were considered as being outcasts.

The truth is that most "normal" people never make it anywhere in life. You can't be innovative when you force yourself to adhere to conventions. What a boring, mundane life it would be to try to force yourself to adhere to conventions all the time . . .

Pro tip: Always try to avoid taking conventional approaches to things and try to not let it bother you if people think you're weird for doing so. Just do what feels right.

Isn't being called weird by weird people a way of them saying "welcome to the club"?.

And if they think you are weird without being aware of their own weirdness... then aren't they the one with the issues?

Isn't being called weird by weird people a way of them saying "welcome to the club"?.
It depends on which weird they are saying, some people like myself accept the fact that I'm weird and I seemed to be accepted in their social circle but sometimes they could mean the opposite. It has been nowadays where I live.

And if they think you are weird without being aware of their own weirdness... then aren't they the one with the issues?
True, that could be the possibility or to make themselves feel better by saying it to others.

Interesting thoughts guys. Like most of you I already figured out I was weird compared with my peers, even so, it did hurt at first when the popular kids called me weird until I realised I'd rather not associate myself with them.

True, that could be the possibility or to make themselves feel better by saying it to others.

I agree with both points, that's why I found it funny when that girl called me weird.

I can remember being called weird and totally not understanding why I would be called that. I remember looking at my hands and my face in the mirror and I could not find one thing that was weird about me. I was fixed on the though for at least a day or two. I then later realized that it was my mannerisms--the way I spoke, the way I focused on things, the way I was perfectly content to being by myself. I still do not understand the word weird...where is the logic in the word?

:confused2:

@ CJ: Your story kind of made me laugh a bit, because I totally understand what you mean.
But I think in many circles today there are different definitions of "weird".

Those people you described are what I consider the type of people who 'want to consider themselves weird in a unique, flattering sense", so they will openly boast 'being weird'.

But I have never known anyone to call others weird in a flattering way. Basically, in my experience- when the word applies to someone like me, it means something like "Oh, wow, okay, that is ACTUALLY weird...."

Weird, to me, seems too vague to be used as an overall adjective/label, or any serious context. I can see how a behavior is a little weird (in a statistical sense) but just somene overall as being just a weird guy or girl...hmmm...

I'm curious to know how others here feel about this. At school I was called weird by quite a few people because of my social awkwardness and various other traits that set me apart. Anyway, on one occasion I was called weird by a girl with a mad stare who insisted on drawing on people's faces during lessons, made disturbingly realistic dog barking and growling noises and kept a set of plastic cutlery in her pencil case. She called me weird and I just couldn't take her seriously. I laughed and said "whatever". So... what are your thoughts?

You'll find a lot of these people will call others weird to take the focus off themselves.

I call my wife weird all the time and she likewise calls me weird. I've never seen it as an insult really. There's no point my arguing otherwise, I really am weird. Anyone using it towards me as an insult tends to just make me feel better myself. Just one extra person who I am better than in life.

New Threads

Top Bottom