• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being a doctor with Asperger's - Can this work?

In the US, i is very common to have to authorize employers to see your medical records or you just won't get hired. By not hiring people they consider "high risk" they used to be able to keep their medical insurance expenses down. "Preexisting conditions" is a very hot topic here in the health care debate. In 2014 discrimination because of preexisting conditions was prohibited but there are always exceptions.

People with mental health issues can't be required to state this on their application. Once they get a job offer, however, they can be required to undergo an exam and to give their medical records to the employer for evaluation. If they decide you might not be able to do the job with "reasonable accommodation", the offer can be withdrawn. ("Reasonable" is always an opinion.) Or you can be officially denied employment for reason "X" when it was really reason "Y" hiding in the back of the employer's mind if you catch my meaning. The ball is now in your court to prove they are wrong.

Now if you are enlisting in the military or applying for a position the government considers sensitive, you can be denied employment if anything at all shows up on your records because your clearance might be denied. (The clearance process is a classified government activity and not up to the employer. They decide if you are a security risk and there is no appeal.) Had I been diagnosed for depression or Asperger's or ADD at the time, I could not have spent 6 years in the National Guard nor could I have worked in aerospace for 9 years.
I hadn't been offically diagnosed with ASD, but I highly suspect it, maybe it is the best to keep it to myself and only try to improve my social skills and emotional intelligence.

In some ways I can see the medical profession as a good career for some on the autism spectrum, especially if one can find find a position with structure and not too much paperwork and confusing unknowns. At least I have seen general practitioners and felt that I could never do the organizing and so on of front desk person who deals with insurance and appointments and so on, but maybe I might enjoy the constant problem solving of the general practioner.

But maybe I underestimate the amount of paperwork or general uninteresting “busy work” all MDs must face...I just like the idea of going from one creative problem to the next.

Last edited:
Yesterday my sister told me about one of the doctors she works with in the emergency room (she’s a nurse). She said he’s the best doctor there and the most well-respected—and she strongly suspects that he is autistic. In fact, she thinks that many of his Asperger’s traits are responsible for making him so good at his job. She also mentioned that patients and family members really like him because he’s so straightforward, no-fluff, and “here are the facts.”

Yesterday my sister told me about one of the doctors she works with in the emergency room (she’s a nurse). She said he’s the best doctor there and the most well-respected—and she strongly suspects that he is autistic. In fact, she thinks that many of his Asperger’s traits are responsible for making him so good at his job. She also mentioned that patients and family members really like him because he’s so straightforward, no-fluff, and “here are the facts.”

My wife and I were just discussing doctors who paint a rosie picture that is really the very best possible scenario and not like what is likely to happen. She had cataract surgery and the doctor said she'd have perfect vision and be recovered in a week. Two weeks later and not so perfect. Yes, it is an improvement over what she had but not perfect by any means. Her eyes are dry which means a constant low-grade irritation if she doesn't keep her eye drops up. Still needs reading glasses. Haloes around bright objects at night. A bit of research and we learn that it takes months to fully heal and recover, not a week.

When I had knee surgery the doctors said I'd be out climbing mountains again in a month. A year after that and I was finally able to start hiking again. I could barely run at all. It never did heal fully. Similar experience with a hernia surgery.

I get it. The rosie scenario **** is to keep your morale up, alleviate anxiety. I'd rather be told the truth upfront and not be sandbagged by reality later.

@Dadamen if you like reading I’d suggest Adam Kay’s book “This is going to hurt”. It’s the diary of a modern day doctor that does a pretty good description of what life is like for us.

In some ways I can see the medical profession as a good career for some on the autism spectrum, especially if one can find find a position with structure and not too much paperwork and confusing unknowns.

Apparently a lot of top doctors are on the spectrum. It the ability to focus that gives them the edge. I think it was Tony Attwood who said this.

Thank you all for your support and good predictions. Yes, ASD makes people focused and sometimes even overfocused which is often good for jobs. But to be a good doctor you need to have a good comunication and empathy to make patients like you.

Aspies are definitely capable to do "anything", but we have to work harder to figure out what works for us to achieve certain things. Only we can determine that There are too many life choices and some may be more feasible for one individual than another. Each person is different. It's up to us individually ultimately to figure out what can work for us, but we can seek help along the way.

People with Asperger's can do anything, and they do.
Hi @Fino, true dat, if one can muster enough bandwidth despite cognitive interruptors. That is to say, I'm generally quite knackered off meds. But since being on them (prozac, buspirone, vyvanse) I'm able to actually do more than watch tv for a change. Been studying facial bits and body lingo lit. Gotta say, now I'm simulating with the best of 'em.

New Threads

Top Bottom