• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Behold! The Sperm Whale Railgun

premiumsockets

person who thinks too much
Last year I discovered my love of sperm whales. I love the way they're shaped like submarines, their capability for emotion and complex social dynamics, their dumb skinny mouths with teeth only on the bottom, the way they glide through the ocean, their SIZE, and of course their Weapons-Grade Phonic Projectiles (aka clicks!). I love playfully referring to their clicks as the "Sperm Whale Railgun" because of the way they use them to stun prey. So, I was recently inspired to draw a sketch of a sperm whale absolutely OBLITERATING a giant squid with its "railgun." Enjoy!

whalegun.jpg

I have never encountered Sperm Whales. Grey, Humpback, and Blue, yes. I was on an Oceanic Society cruise to the Farallons from San Francisco on a 32 foot boat. The Blue Whales that came alongside us were at least 3 times that length. Magnificent.

I am unbelievably jealous. I need to invest more time and energy to seeing more whales irl. Ideally I'd want to swim with them but not too close, I just love watching them move. I'm starting, though! Went on a whale watch last year and got some really good pictures, though I wish I had a zoom lens at the time (we saw fin whales, minkes, and humpbacks <3).

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 45
Is this Stellwagen Bank in Massachusetts? I live right near there lol and have been on lots of whale watches.
I actually live across the street from a port that some of the boats leave from.

Is this Stellwagen Bank in Massachusetts? I live right near there lol and have been on lots of whale watches.
Very close! We left from Provincetown and stayed just a bit north of the Cape. On the map where they drew our route, it looks like we just barely tickled the south end of the Bank.
This is among my all time favourite thread titles, and the content lived up to it!
On my first day?? I'm HONORED.

Very close! We left from Provincetown and stayed just a bit north of the Cape. On the map where they drew our route, it looks like we just barely tickled the south end of the Bank.
I knew it was Massachusetts for some reason lol!
I love Provincetown btw

I love giant squids. Maybe I'll draw one with a sperm whale now. I like "railgun"

I admit I'm a whale-lover but know very little about squid and other aquatic life. I should look them up sometime! And who doesn't love a good railgun!

Well yes, the railgun idea makes me less upset at harm to my giant squid :)
and also I really like whales too. I saw a humpback when in california. They are so smart, I love their vocalizations.

I also love the thread title and your artwork!

I like whales, too, though belugas are my favorite, with humpbacks as a close second!

You made me think of an old video of a group of marine biologists finding a sperm whale while doing field research with an ROV.

that video is AWESOME and if you like humpbacks, here's some more from this year (i brought a zoom lens this time)

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4633.jpg
    IMG_4633.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4634.jpg
    IMG_4634.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4765.jpg
    IMG_4765.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 41
Those shots are great! Thanks :smiley: I’ve never gone whale watching myself but it’s definitely on my bucket list.

I love videos from the Nautilus crew in general. When they find something that excites them, their commentary is so fun to listen to.

New Threads

Top Bottom