• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Beginning My Journey Into The Diagnosis Process

JessH0601

Hi everyone!
I'm Jess, and I'm 23. I have always felt a bit different, and, after some research, am fairly sure that what I'm experiencing is consistent with Asperger Syndrome. I've taken the screenings available online, and read a lot about different aspects. Looking back, it would explain a lot of things I remember from growing up.
I'm really nervous that I'll run into a roadblock of doctors telling me that they don't think so, and that they wouldn't do the assessment because of that. I know that something isn't quite what would be considered "neurotypical", and regardless of whether it's an ASD or not, I'd like to have an answer. The anxiety about asking for the referral, though, has been eating at me since I decided to go through with it.
I don't think my family will understand, nor believe me. Just hoping for some support to back me up before I even mention it to them.

Hello, Jess, welcome!

I can kind of understand what you're going through. I was only recently tested (September) & diagnosed (November) and I did have a tough time getting that diagnosis, but after a little shock & some difficulty, I find that being diagnosed has really helped me improve my own life. For example, this forum, it's very easy to get along with like-minded people, and to be honest, it's just refreshing to know there are like-minded people.

If you can just start down that path to diagnosis, you might find that it'll help you out in ways you didn't even know you needed help before, and there's a lot more support to be found, here & elsewhere than you think. Being an aspie isn't negative at all, so long as you don't let the diagnosis define you.

Again, welcome to our little corner of the internet. Have a good time!

Thanks LazyLaughter. I really hope that I start to feel a little more comfortable with myself as I go through this process!

There will be some ups and downs along the way, but if there were no ups & downs in life... Well, a flatline means you're dead! But it really helped me to be diagnosed, since now I have a roadmap for what to work on to improve myself. I'm sure it'll help you, too. You've got this! :D

Welcome Jess :)

Many of our members will be able to sympathise with your concerns. Some practitioners aren't as trained to identify AS, so if you are concerned, it may be good to do your research, and find someone with experience. I hope things go well with your diagnoses.

A few links you may find useful:

Resources: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Tony Attwood:

Home

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

AS for women:

Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania Marshall

Ah! You have a hedgehog? My current companion population includes one very grumpy hedgie, an ornery cat, and an even ornerier ball python!

Attachments

• 20150108_212950.jpg
    20150108_212950.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 152
Oh my god its face! <3

I'm not a cat guy or much a hedgie guy, but snakes are so cute! I love pictures of them with hats. :D

Attachments

• snakehat.jpg
    snakehat.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 148
Oh my gosh <3

I kinda wish I could care for a snake. I guess if I could have, though, I would have kept my tarantula. Just couldn't keep walking up to the pet store in the Minnesota winters, got quite some years in though. Miss her sometimes.

BUT THEIR FACES. Lil snakefaces. They are just super QTs.

Ah! You have a hedgehog? My current companion population includes one very grumpy hedgie, an ornery cat, and an even ornerier ball python!

No, I don't have a hedgehog, unfortunately. It would make for a cute companion, but this one's just a photo from the net. Your snake is rather cute :)

Oh my god its face! <3

I'm not a cat guy or much a hedgie guy, but snakes are so cute! I love pictures of them with hats. :D

Aww...cute! I love snakes, with hats :p

New Threads

Top Bottom