• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

befriending other autistic/Aspergers people is awesome

simply entertainment type funny
Making fun of somebody’s authentic feelings is neither simple, entertaining, or funny.

classy humor
There is neither class nor humor in “poking fun of”

The type of "poking fun" at that you and several others are implying is the type where bullies intentionally demean your character and not because they are trying to laugh for entertainment purely.
This could be unique to your experience because the way I understand poking fun, and making fun, and bullying is that it is all a gamut. There are less serious infractions and there are more serious ones. But they are all disrespecting the ideas of another at the expense of making a joke or trying to put them down.

I am never entertained by anybody laughing at someone else, when that someone else is not the one making joke. There is no humor in making another person feel embarrassed or badly.

We have better ways to present our different opinions and feelings than disregarding or putting down somebody else. As you see here, I abjectly disagree with you, but I am not taking any snipes at your character or trying to be funny.

I'm sorry that the context of this all and the differences between an actual bully and people who are truly trying to make a (good) joke is hard to understand.

This does not come across as genuine… the fact that you are “sorry.“

I am having trouble understanding this line that you have drawn.

The humor in this context is not meant to be aimed at a particular person.
I am responding to the fact that you directly told another member that their statement deserve to be “poked fun of.“ So again, I do not understand.

I straight up find autistic people so boring. I feel like I have nothing to say to them because they’re all pretty much the same in terms of how their minds work and what their motivations are. Of course that’s an unfair characterization, but it holds true in my experience most of the time.
I am guessing this must be sarcastic , because there’s no way Neurotypical people would study autistic peoples brains behaviors etc over the last 90 years, spend billions of dollars of research Oh and have eugenic programs to help eradicate autistic people in the past .
Or put them in psychiatric hospitals and asylums to experiment on them and try endlessly to conform us .

I could be wrong, but this does not sound like Nt observed Autism as “boring” behavior to me. It actually seems like they are very perplexed, confused , and energized by autistic people.

And they are no closer to understanding our motivations and our minds . I guess that’s the irony.
After all of that . If so, I guess one of them would’ve came up with the theory of relativity.

Last edited:
I am guessing this must be sarcastic , because there’s no way Neurotypical people would study autistic peoples brains behaviors etc over the last 90 years, spend billions of dollars of research Oh and have eugenic programs to help eradicate autistic people in the past .
Or put them in psychiatric hospitals and asylums to experiment on them and try endlessly to conform us .

I could be wrong, but this does not sound like Nt observed Autism as “boring” behavior to me. It actually seems like they are very perplexed, confused , and energized by autistic people.

And they are no closer to understanding our motivations and our minds . I guess that’s the irony.
After all of that . If so, I guess one of them would’ve came up with the theory of relativity.
Or the Dirac equation.

A lot of top scientists are on the spectrum. Paul Dirac is pretty obvious. If they won a Nobel prize, you could tell they are out of the box thinkers. Schrodinger, Pauli, Heisenberg. and others.

A lot of top scientists are on the spectrum. Paul Dirac is pretty obvious. If they won a Nobel prize, you could tell they are out of the box thinkers. Schrodinger, Pauli, Heisenberg. and others.
I agree , I also read Nikola Tesla’s biography, which he wrote while he was alive.His whole family and him displayed major signs of being on the spectrum. I do think there would be way to many scientists and inventors , musicians, artists, engineers , teachers etc etc , to list on my first comment .
If NTs could predict our behavior and objectives they surely would have figured this all out on their own , or at least predicted when we would …..

Last edited:
Or the Dirac equation.
Don’t worry, I caught up pretty quickly, but I started out researching how the Dirac equation could explain sarcasm!

Of course, I understand better now, but my brain doesn’t always make the right connections right away. No Nobel Prizes for me.

Don’t worry, I caught up pretty quickly, but I started out researching how the Dirac equation could explain sarcasm!

Of course, I understand better now, but my brain doesn’t always make the right connections right away. No Nobel Prizes for me.
I have the same problem . I will stick to my peace of mind prize everyday with my special interests

I agree , I also read Nikola Tesla’s biography, which he wrote while he was alive.His whole family and him displayed major signs of being on the spectrum. I do think there would be way to many scientists and inventors , musicians, artists, engineers , teachers etc etc , to list on my first comment .
If NTs could predict our behavior and objectives they surely would have figured this all out on their own , or at least predicted when we would …..
the only other thing I share with Tesla along with being on the spectrum, is his ability to visualize.

The closest I ever get to a Noel prize Peter Zeeman winning one in 1902, for physics. Hopefully sharing the same surname means something, we both like physics.

i've got a friend that's also on the spectrum, She and i understand things better and we can relate to each others experinces. She also doesn't make fun of me if i take a joke/sarcastic comment seriously and doesn't find it rude if i forget things like names etc. It's great! i recommend to all to befriend some fellow diagnosis wizards, it's like finding home
Returning to the OP for a minute, I know lots of people and I work with lots of people. I'm 'friends' with all of them. We've lived here for four years and I have done some social things with our new friends but I am either the person who is the momentary, fleeting center of attention, wowing them with some fact--or I am on the outside looking in, physically present at the gathering but somehow not able to keep up any one conversation for longer than a few salutatory comments. I have tried making deeper connections, but all anybody seems to really want is another head to count to join their group activity. Few people are interested in talking about things that matter.

Outside of my family, the only person I've met as an adult who 'gets' me is my friend who has Asperger's. Most people find me intense. She is literally the first person I have met with whom I have ever had an intense conversation. By intense I mean it's focused, intentional, we often explore whatever we're talking about to a great depth, and what we talk about matters deeply to each of us. But it's also the subtext--the inflection & prosody, length of pauses, body language and mannerisms she uses to make her point. I not only feel like I'm being heard for the first time, I feel like I'm hearing someone else for the first time, too. It's a really strange, truly exhilerating feeling.

She has this knack of pointing out things that have great meaning to me. Some of you here have that ability, too. I don't always notice this quality when I first read a reply, but when what someone has written stays with me for several days, then I know it's happened. It's why I don't always write back right away; I'm often at a loss for words. (Or I might also be busy with work & have run out of time to reply. It's kind-of hit or miss in that department.)

This sort of thing doesn't happen to me. I don't meet people with whom I resonate like this. It makes being able to come here and visit with other like-minded or like-interested people a real blessing. I am truly grateful for this forum.

My friend from work also has autism. We have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. There's things I'm good at understanding that they aren't, and vice versa. They also think about things differently than me and react to them differently. We still get along really well though, I find it easier to relate with and interact with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom