• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Researcher Looking for Autistic Participants - Thank you!

confused_sos

Hi all! I'm an autistic psychology student and I am currently recruiting participants to take part in my undergraduate dissertation research project. I apologise if this isn't the right place to post something like this!!

For this project, my group and I (under the guidance of our supervisor) are researching emotion recognition (ER) from bodily information, specifically hand-form information, amongst autistic and neurotypical participants. The participants that we have gathered thus far are biased toward NTs, so we are hoping to get some more autistic participants involved as very little research has investigated bodily emotion recognition amongst autistic people.

If you click the study link below you can find out further information regarding the specifics of what the study entails, as well as some background information.

If you are able, please do share this study widely or with anyone aged 18+ you feel might find it interesting! And don't worry - everything is anonymised and confidential. It should take about 20 - 30 minutes with 80 trials and some initial ASC questions (to ensure those we classify as 'Neurotypical' don't actually meet the criteria for an ASC diagnosis).

After participating, you can also choose to enter a random prize raffle to win a £25 Amazon voucher!

Thank you for reading this far and I hope that you have a wonderful day!

Study link: https://durhampsychology.eu.qualtri...AKCEjAY1KQhZZCziGiv1PhSBhEN8tpumd6VKnmKiGLH78

it looks like it says you're only looking for uk participants, is that correct or are those outside the uk welcome to participate as well?

I just completed your survey and I thought you might be interested in some of my impressions. I'm ASD2.

In real life I am very good at judging people's emotions and intentions, to the point of being a very effective con man when I need to be. I found the images in your survey very difficult to judge. Too small, not enough detail, and poor acting.

It's not easy to judge emotions in a still image unless it has been created by a skilled photographer. Emotions and intent are more easily recognised in series of movements.

I struggle with interpreting verbal information and I rely on people's body language to convey meaning, to the point that I don't even own a phone because phones are useless to me. In one on one face to face situations I am a superb communicator.

Some more feedback

Some of the pictures were unclear since the hands were not visible.
Some of the questions I declined to answer since I could not make up my mind.
It was not possible to register an email address for the draw - I got this error message System Message: Invalid survey_code.
The pictures were repetitious IMHO and a bit tedious.
FOr some quesitons you could not decline to answer but for many you could. The form is internally inconsistent.

Some more feedback

It was not possible to register an email address for the draw - I got this error message System Message: Invalid survey_code.
FOr some quesitons you could not decline to answer but for many you could. The form is internally inconsistent.
Me too.

I just completed your survey and I thought you might be interested in some of my impressions. I'm ASD2.

In real life I am very good at judging people's emotions and intentions, to the point of being a very effective con man when I need to be. I found the images in your survey very difficult to judge. Too small, not enough detail, and poor acting.

It's not easy to judge emotions in a still image unless it has been created by a skilled photographer. Emotions and intent are more easily recognised in series of movements.

I struggle with interpreting verbal information and I rely on people's body language to convey meaning, to the point that I don't even own a phone because phones are useless to me. In one on one face to face situations I am a superb communicator.
Hi there, tahnk you very much for the insight. Unfortunately, as an undergraduate in the UK system, I didn't have much control over the choice and use of the stimuli, as we are largely following the lead and directions provided by my dissertation supervisor. Though thank you very much for going through the study and I will very much consider your input when it comes to my discussion

Some more feedback

Hi there, Thank you for the feedback. The hands were removed from certain stimuli as we were attempting to discern their significance in making judgements of emotion, as studies with NTs has suggested that removing such information significantly impairs emotion recognition. And yes apologies for the number of stimuli, we had numerous actors presenting 4 emotions and had to then edit and investigate them across all stimulus conditions, hence the repetitiveness and quantity of stimuli used. I apologise for the issue with the email sign up, I will talk with my team mate who handled this section to see whether we can resolve this. And all questions relating to the choice of emotion should have not forced you to make a decision, but only demographic data, which was key for our analysis, to determine participant groupings and so on.

Some more feedback

Hi there, I do really apologise for the internal consistency aspect. I have checked through and understand that some were mistakenly inputted as being forced. I believe this was because different members of the group dealt with different sections of sorting the data for questions and I had not then individually checked through it all. Again, I do apologise

Hi there, I do really apologise for the internal consistency aspect. I have checked through and understand that some were mistakenly inputted as being forced. I believe this was because different members of the group dealt with different sections of sorting the data for questions and I had not then individually checked through it all. Again, I do apologise
I’m glad you got some valuable feedback from members here on the test itself. As a prospective researcher, remember that the design of the tool itself can really affect the results that you get.

Research surveys can be created in such a way that the data is neither objective, reliable, or valid. The way questions are asked, the length of the survey, the population and space in which you ask for feedback, and the usability of the survey will all highly affect your pool of data. The creation of a useful tool is the most important thing you can be learning about right now.

If I said the survey was created by narcisstic people would I by lying, and already implications indicating measurements of IQ

The relevance here isn't to state your parents were text book narcissists, no. It's to understand western dogmatic society uses narcisstic attitudes all the time. It also teaches you to respond to gaslighting without feeling someone gobbled up your soul. Takes a bit of time to conceptualise what narcisstic abuse is

Attachments

• images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 37
  • images.png
    images.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 41
Today we sit in front of the mirror and practice not feeling guilty, then pick a phrase that best describes how actually feel and use it, and sing walk away and never consider the others feelings again. Above is more comprehensive.....below are ideas to think about....

So what.
Who gives.
Asking questions as if I'm a reporter on a need to know basis.
Are you implying a) I'm impaired visually 20/20 b) below 130 IQ
I'm not dead or dumb or whatever, I'm echnored you.
Silence is golden so shut up n get rich.
Which part of no didn't you understand!!
Is that a rhetorical question?
When God was handing out brains, he must have spent a little less time on you.
What's it to you?
Do you always try to have sex with vegetables, no why? Because you parking in disabled spot, bozo.
Do you keep sexually harassing vegetables in the hope that one day you have a break thru ND you avoid true no?

Deaf, dumb or remedial, was in past retarded.
Some narcisstic need to be guided to self realisation, although evidence suggest like paediofiles there's no cure for certain conditions...not even special psychiatric drugs for your condition. Ok

So they found all deaf children were arrested by police man, well you see we decided to give deaf kids some fun, gave them a ball with a bell inside. They kicked ice-cream man to death.

The minute nazzi realised what high functioning was developed new systems. Like testing true photographic memory will look at a shelf and be able to identify/recall everything. Most productive use emotional memory and can only recall one or two items. The minute it became of interest suddenly the retarded ABA was replaced with ABA to manage it and series of tests to select dinner guinea pigs. Not that results yielded from low IQ tests, but to show some will only care for profit and gain.

So you an undergraduate, and how is autism your field, or is choice of mental disease out of many possibilities.

So you at least not a company who offers 'i know employment benefits, such as stand there with autism as reason for unemployment'
Ye, sure this is productive. We need people to tell us what is what.
Do you get my point here

New Threads

Top Bottom