• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Positives

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I just learned at my autistic meetup that I do not have to serve in jury duty. I was like wow. Sometimes autism has its perks. I want this thread to be positive. What is something positive about your experience with autism?

I just learned at my autistic meetup that I do not have to serve in jury duty. I was like wow. Sometimes autism has its perks. I want this thread to be positive. What is something positive about your experience with autism?
What was the source of this information? Your courts ? I know some jurisdictions have specific laws disqualifying people with "mental disorders". (Their term, not mine.)

Over the years I've served as a juror a number of times in California. Not an easy task for much of anyone. My mental capacity never came up, though when I was gainfully employed in a complex capacity. Which also served to exclude me on all civil trials as an insurance underwriter.

I can get disqualified with my diagnosis. I looked it up on the judicial website in my state. I would recommend looking at each state because each is different. California is one of the harder states to fight with.

Frankly I find it disturbing to think that if any of us were charged with a crime, that an exclusive NT jury would not entirely represent "our peers".

That's true, in California you can't so easily opt out as a potential juror. And it does vary from state-to-state.

But it's also true that when you do serve in such a capacity, the possibility of you destroying one's life in whole or in part depending on how they are sentenced. It's an awesome responsibility, I suppose one that's not for everyone whether NT or ND.

Last edited:
I'm not really capable of separating which parts of me are due to autism and which parts aren't. Since I like myself as a whole, I'd have to say that my autism as a whole is also positive.

Frankly I find it disturbing to think that if any of us were charged with a crime, that an exclusive NT jury would not entirely represent "our peers".

That's true, in California you can't so easily opt out as a potential juror. And it does vary from state-to-state.

But it's also true that when you do serve in such a capacity, the possibility of you destroying one's life in whole or in part depending on how they are sentenced. It's an awesome responsibility, I suppose one that's not for everyone whether NT or ND.

I have to agree. I would not like to have a persons life in my hands like that. It would be so hard to follow and make sure to remember every single detail. I would be so confused.

I have to agree. I would not like to have a persons life in my hands like that. It would be so hard to follow and make sure to remember every single detail. I would be so confused.
We sent an elderly man to prison for the remainder of his life. Convicted of attempted murder. Under circumstances that made his conviction easy. His legal defense by a public defender was pathetic.

The best and worst of it all was to discover thanks to our District Attorney that the man had spent over 30 years of his life in prison in three different states. The man was a hardcore criminal before we ever set eyes on him. It was still a very sobering experience to me.

Last edited:
I was called for jury duty while in hospital stroke got me deferred. Not the first time I was called never made the actual jury.

True. OTOH, I wouldn’t want to be judged by a group made up of people who are comfortable making those decisions.

Being on the spectrum has made me more empathic as an adult. I also realized l really like ND men, l really don't like NT men.

It has made me discover this great community! I never would have thought to join if I wasn't autistic. I know I don't post here much, but I still really appreciate the forums for creating and supporting a community of autistic people from all walks of life all over the world. I've made some wonderful friends here.

True. OTOH, I wouldn’t want to be judged by a group made up of people who are comfortable making those decisions.
My impression serving on each jury over some years reflected people who weren't comfortable in the least in making such decisions. But that it was a duty as a citizen that had to be done and we did it.

Being on the spectrum has made me more empathic as an adult. I also realized l really like ND men, l really don't like NT men.
Sort of like my wife, she really likes my ability to resolve real life puzzles even the Mickey mouse ones relationship games with her girlfriends showing her their real motives. silly games using deceit.

I love my brain.

I guess if I didn't have autism, I wouldn't miss what it can do, because it's having autism that makes me love how it works. But it's a beast! Love it. It has bizarre side effects that some might find disagreeable, but it can melt steel beams (figuratively, of course).

A positive one is that it has made me much better at understanding other people. I have a good "radar" to detect when others are going through a rough time so I can help. Now, especially in the last 3 years or so, it has also made me more prone to isolation so not using that tool that often... Hoping to change that, but I need to make many more changes first. So, it's complicated :)

Discovering I was autistic rescued me from depression and anxiety. Not all of it, there is still work to be done, but I am much happier than I have been in years.

My impression serving on each jury over some years reflected people who weren't comfortable in the least in making such decisions. But that it was a duty as a citizen that had to be done and we did it.
And that, I think, is how it ought to be. Maybe I sound like an old geez griping ‘this new generation’, but my observation is that, these days, people are gratified to render judgment based on an ‘emotional reaction of the month’. There seems to be a real satisfaction in rendering life-altering judgment, especially of the ludicrously moral sort, as though it were an emotionally satisfying payback of personal grievance. So, here’s to you and them and the good ol’ days.

I can understand why other people see positives in autism, but I don't in myself.

Whenever I read about autism the only positives there are are how clever we are and how well we can memorise facts and be Rain Man. Autism doesn't affect me like that. I have trouble retaining facts and information even if it's an interest of mine.

I just hate having something that there's no social positives in or that I can't relate to any of the resources about it online. Even when I type in level 1 autism it still comes up with how intelligent we are and all that. It's annoying.

It sounds like autism is described as cold and aloof and unsociable and robotic. It's so isolating to read such stuff, and when you read about things like Downs Syndrome it says how warm and loving they are. Sounds so much less isolating.
But the thing is, I'm just as affectionate and lovable as a typical person with Downs Syndrome. This is why I don't say autism is "who I am". It isn't. I have more non-autism traits than I do autism traits. The autism traits I do have I could do without.

However, ADHD is who I am. Probably almost every part of me is ADHD, and it's what makes me so fun and lovable and affectionate and funny. I like my social hyperactivity (but not so much my cognitive or emotional hyperactivity, as that's what causes depression and anxiety).

New Threads

Top Bottom