• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AUTISTIC PEOPLE COMMIT MORE CRIME!!!!

S0093679

Oh dear.....

In my lecture on Tuesday, one of the (NT) students was "explaining" that "autistics" should commit more crime than "normals" because they dont have theory of mind, they cant empathise and once they have learnt rules they cant change them. So all in all, we are probably going to be criminals.

Ten minutes or so of very quiet contemplation.... and along came the meltdown......

Well, accuracy aside . . . if I were to be a criminal, I think I'd be a pretty damn good one. :rolleyes:

But that would make autistic people on par with sociopaths, psychopaths (and then some).

What people seem to forget, and I don't have any evidence (just something I've noticed while browsing aspie forums) is that quite a few of us tend to have a pretty high moral standard. And perhaps, the moment someone on the spectrum has a weird standard that is totally opposite of what society expects, then yes, it's fair to state we COULD be up to more. If someone felt being done wrong and it conflicts with his/her moral compass it can be a cause. Can, not neccesarily, will be, a cause.

But I guess that goes for anyone. Even non autistic folks. If they feel they've been done wrong, they commit crimes as well.

I agree with King Oni. I had a friend growing up who was full of ideas that lead to getting in trouble, but I knew the difference in right and wrong. Lets just say he spent some time in jail and I didn't.

Well, accuracy aside . . . if I were to be a criminal, I think I'd be a pretty damn good one. :rolleyes:
Dont make us put up the bat signal Ereth. As good as you are, he 'll have you in batcuffs, in front of commissioner Gorden, before you know it. If only she could of used her powers for good.

Haha. I'm quite sure I'd only be a criminal if I were involved with fictional characters. (They're more fun.) But being a real person in the real world, I would never do anything criminal because it would hurt people.

The only time I would ever do something criminal would be if the law itself is criminal.

(And no, Mungo, gay people arent automatically girly. But a discussion of gender expectations and stereotypes is best saved for another thread.)

He means to say there are always people who are stereotyping gays as girly. Unfortunately, he isnt good at expressing what he means.

A. We do empathise. B. The lack of "theory of mind" is itself a theory that is very very open to debate and is not definitively established as a true theory. C. After we've leant rules, we can change, if we understand the (presumably good) reason for the change.

that's worse than stereotyping gays as being girly. wait they always are. uhh carry on thread

i was joking.

As a moderator I'll let one fly and assume you are honestly joking about this.

Please be more careful in the future about similar generalisations, even if you intended to joke around a bit. Not everyone is up for these kind of jokes/remarks.

Thank you!

I remember when i was like 18yo .. I went to a car scrapyark with a friend that needed a used car part ... we found his car part, but while we were returning to the front office to pay for the part, we saw a copy of my Celica 89 ... and I needed a right side mirror ... my friend took it off and gave it to me .. and he told me to hide it ... because he said the place was making a lot of money on our back and blablabla .. to me it was extremely irrational and it was an extremely traumatizing experience. Its the only crime I committed because I was forced to. And I'd never do it again ... and I don't know that person anymore.

I'm unable to break the rules ... unless they are very illogical.

Oh dear.....

In my lecture on Tuesday, one of the (NT) students was "explaining" that "autistics" should commit more crime than "normals" because they dont have theory of mind, they cant empathise and once they have learnt rules they cant change them..

That makes about as much sense as saying that Swedish people are more likely to be criminals because they tend to have blonde hair.

Yes, many autistic people have issues with empathy, but from my experience we tend to have plenty of sympathy. Empathy and theory of mind are about the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, to sense what they might be thinking or feeling. It has nothing to do with not caring about hurting others - that would be lack of sympathy. Which we don't actually lack.

New Threads

Top Bottom