• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Parents and Kids' Parties- Your worst stories...

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
My child is over eighteen now, but when she was a kid, I always made sure, even in years where we were very poor, that she had a big birthday party. I made sure and invited lots of people and drained resources to get her wonderful experiences.

That being said, I am autistic, and crowds exhaust me.

I love genuinely love being around children. But if they are the type that screams and acts out, I want to send them back to mom and dad. I just can't.

Anyway let's all vent with funny yet frustrating stories of kids' parties we've had to endure. Especially as hosts.

Last edited:
1. My daughter's fifth birthday party. Chuck-E-Cheese's. A roughly four year old boy stood at the top of the play structure and peed. I watched in horror as the urine trickled 8 feet down into the ball pit. Lil Bastard.

2. Also her fifth birthday- She was fine that morning. Brought her to Chuck-E-Cheese dressed as she chose, in a ballet tutu and faerie wings. By the end of the party, her nose was running, and she seemed like she just wanted to lay on Grandpa's shoulder. That night she had a fever and was wheezing. I took her to the E.R. She had Swine Flu. A week later, so did most of our guests.

3. My daughter's fourteenth birthday. We invited all the neighborhood kids over, regardless of age. So there were little kids running around in her room. This was fine with me, because we just dug in the boxes and found her old toys, and thought the kids would be entertained, while the older kids were out in the front of the house.

I go back and check on the little guys, and the room is a blast zone. Crap laying everywhere. Anything that could be pulled out of anywhere- was. And a little girl was looking forlorn. I asked her "What's wrong?" She replied "I lost my gum. It fell out of my mouth." I was so terrified it was in the carpet. I asked "Where did you lose it sweetie?" She pointed to my daughter's dresser. "Somewhere in there".

At that point I pointed to the door. Party's over. We spent the evening cleaning up, searching like bloodhounds for the missing gum, and swearing oaths never to invite little kids to a party at our house ever again.

My seventeenth birthday. I wanted to order teriyaki takeout from my favorite local joint. My mother exposed her racist streak by telling me that a small business owned by Asians was a sign they were laundering money, and she insisted we went to the local mega Chinese buffet instead. I had frozen Tv dinner Chinese food that was better than the thoroughly inedible garbage they served there.

I remember for my 15th birthday, I convinced my mother into taking the family to the movies to see Romeo is Bleeding for my celebration. It was worth it just to see how she reacted to Lena Olin’s performance alone. She was mortified.

Chuck E. Cheese + kids. Now there's a test for most anyone on the spectrum to see how much sensory input they can truly handle. :oops:

Then again they've been in quite a downward slide for a while now.

Took mine recently to celebrate his 6th. Luckily it was a Wednesday so it was pretty dead so they had the run of the place. I also only invited a couple of families and a close friend so we kept it small manageable. I can't do the large parties.

Took mine recently to celebrate his 6th. Luckily it was a Wednesday so it was pretty dead so they had the run of the place. I also only invited a couple of families and a close friend so we kept it small manageable. I can't do the large parties.
A former girlfriend and I would occasionally take her daughter (similar age) there as well. I managed, but I can't say I enjoyed it. But it was for her little girl who needed a smile on her face.

Not really a fun place for any adult I'd say. Just sit and watch the kids play and that's about it. My son has an enthusiastic personality so he loved it. I'm glad he doesn't request any big parties or expect any grand show or presents. For now

I have a vivid memory of a meltdown I had as a child at a large birthday party where there was loud music and lots of people dancing in a very cramped room. The intensity of my anger was frightening.

Oh Chuck E Cheese's- If you're a single mother, it's a blessing.

Weekday afternoons, they're pretty empty. They don't charge admission either. You only pay for food. And that's not even required.

I was in nursing school at the local community college, when my daughter was little. I would let her play on the slide and in the ball pit while I did my homework.

It would be 35 degrees and raining out, and my daughter could play, read books that we brought from home, or even nap, while I did my homework.

If I had any extra money we might buy a pop and play a few games together. But that was rare.

It was exactly what both of us needed at the time.

I love Chuck E Cheese's for that reason. I would not have had any academic success had it not been for that establishment.

Not really a fun place for any adult I'd say. Just sit and watch the kids play and that's about it. My son has an enthusiastic personality so he loved it. I'm glad he doesn't request any big parties or expect any grand show or presents. For now
Oh my daughter never even requested the parties. She's a very sweet girl.

I just never had birthday parties when I was a little girl. Many years I didn't even get gifts or even a recognition. "Just another day". So I wanted to make it special. I would skip paying the power bill for a couple months just so I could give her memorable birthdays. If both of us needed new shoes, I always got them for her, and then let myself walk around getting wet feet all winter. Stuff like that.

She's turned it around on me now. She's 19, and works three days a week, and also does online school. She helps pay the bills, and with extra money, she buys me nice things. I didn't own a jacket with a zipper that closed for three years. I could have replaced zippers, but I couldn't even afford to buy the thread or the zipper. She bought me brand new jacket last month.

One day I was crying because I didn't know how I was going to afford everything, and she sang that song that goes "I will buy you a garden, where your flowers can bloom..." Ever since then, she's been so sweet and generous.

That one about the swine flu is terrifying. How many people died from that one party?
That's a funny one.

The news had been going wild about swine flu, remember?

My daughter had heard about it.

Anyway we get to the E.R. and they do all the tests. Then the doctor comes back in and says that my daughter has a case of Swine Flu.

My little 5 year old birthday girl looks up at the doctor and says "Swine flu? That's it? I'm hardly sick!"

The little trooper had a fever of 102 and her o2 was something like 92 percent. She was very ill. But I guess she expected to feel a whole lot sicker based on what the news was saying.

So, you know, pre covid, people just let their kids get sick, stay home from school, and then they went on with their lives. It was so different. Swine flu? Everyone got it, and if you made a big deal about it, people told you to grow a pair. The culture was so different.

My daughter and I still laugh about the "That's it?" comment she made. Because although she was very ill, she expected it to be like way worse, even at the tender age of five.

Oh my daughter never even requested the parties. She's a very sweet girl.

I just never had birthday parties when I was a little girl. Many years I didn't even get gifts or even a recognition. "Just another day". So I wanted to make it special. I would skip paying the power bill for a couple months just so I could give her memorable birthdays. If both of us needed new shoes, I always got them for her, and then let myself walk around getting wet feet all winter. Stuff like that.

She's turned it around on me now. She's 19, and works three days a week, and also does online school. She helps pay the bills, and with extra money, she buys me nice things. I didn't own a jacket with a zipper that closed for three years. I could have replaced zippers, but I couldn't even afford to buy the thread or the zipper. She bought me brand new jacket last month.

One day I was crying because I didn't know how I was going to afford everything, and she sang that song that goes "I will buy you a garden, where your flowers can bloom..." Ever since then, she's been so sweet and generous.
Oh sorry never meant to imply that she did, just that because I'm not a birthday party kinda person (or any birthdays at that), that I'm glad he is sparing me by not requesting anything as I know some kids can be demanding when it comes to their day. I stress myself out too much when it comes to parties and planning and being around judgemental parents.

The last couple birthdays we invited a small group and went to a pumpkin patch farm and it's always been a hit. We just bring some cake, have pizza delivered and that's that. No decorations or party favors. Kids and parents have a blast though since the place has a huge playground, gem mining, duck races and hayloft.

My youngest son is super shy and doesn't like all the noise and attention like me so his last birthday I invited a small group over and called it a play date instead of a birthday party. No games or shows.. just let the kids play. It was car themed since he LOVES cars so did do some car decorations.. but we just covered our living room with cars, trucks, and hot wheel tracks and the kids just played. We also invited everyone to bring their driver cars and remote control ones to play out in the street which was fun. I'm hoping to keep it this simple as long as I can.

That's a funny one.

The news had been going wild about swine flu, remember?

My daughter had heard about it.

Anyway we get to the E.R. and they do all the tests. Then the doctor comes back in and says that my daughter has a case of Swine Flu.

My little 5 year old birthday girl looks up at the doctor and says "Swine flu? That's it? I'm hardly sick!"

The little trooper had a fever of 102 and her o2 was something like 92 percent. She was very ill. But I guess she expected to feel a whole lot sicker based on what the news was saying.

So, you know, pre covid, people just let their kids get sick, stay home from school, and then they went on with their lives. It was so different. Swine flu? Everyone got it, and if you made a big deal about it, people told you to grow a pair. The culture was so different.

My daughter and I still laugh about the "That's it?" comment she made. Because although she was very ill, she expected it to be like way worse, even at the tender age of five.
I had horrible anxiety because of swine flu. I know all about how it killed most people in 1918 who were otherwise healthy and meanwhile the anti-vax geniuses were horrible and it was all just a warm-up to covid. There's going to be a new pandemic from China soon, too. Better start stocking up on toilet paper while I still can.

Secretly, sometimes (many times?) I could kiss my kids for being autistic:

- What would you like to do for your birthday this year, would you like to have some friend over or a party?
- Not really ,can we look at my collection of lego minecraft characters?
- We sure can!

New Threads

Top Bottom