• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic not artistic

Billthecat

V.I.P Member
Hi, I don't have much chance to share my thoughts with other people in the same situation as me.

well, I see that many of you have an artistic side, I think the artist inside me hangs himself out of loneliness and boredom.

I really can't understand visual arts, I love cinema and music, but I understand it's an autistic love.

I can't draw nothing so far from a sticky character and I think Guernica is just a mess of lines and unhuman puppets, even if I know what it means really well.

Last edited:
Hey, it’s not for everyone – I would place music and cinema squarely in the category of visual art, however.

Do you enjoy making music or movies?

I hope you also wanted to share your thoughts with people in the opposite situation as you – I am pretty much thinking about art all the time. One important element of art for me is using it as a medium to connect to other human beings, i.e. sharing it. Where there is a dearth of solid relationships, sometimes art makes me feel connected to others.

I respect your position on it, though. Especially if it’s not something that brings you satisfaction or joy.

obvious, respect at first place.

I don't use to feel envy anymore, but sometimes I think I could feel envy for who can make art, maybe I'm too much a simple mind to understand it

I am dentent visually but very bad musically, my coordination is also bad. So dancing and musically I have problems.

I just dont care much about music, have no favourite musical group or any desire to go to any concert. I can appreciate some music, but not enougth to spend time listening it. Sound is also my main distractor, being it music or many conversations.

Do you have problems with all kinds of art expressions? Or it is just drawing and visual arts?

I am dentent visually but very bad musically, my coordination is also bad. So dancing and musically I have problems.

I just dont care much about music, have no favourite musical group or any desire to go to any concert. I can appreciate some music, but not enougth to spend time listening it. Sound is also my main distractor, being it music or many conversations.

Do you have problems with all kinds of art expressions? Or it is just drawing and visual arts?
Honestly, I appreciate everything is armonic at my sight, I'm one of those guys making a weird face hearing a troubled engine or looking at an "ugly" car.

I've seen so many classic museums, sometimes with funny results, but nothing compared to some landscapes.

Despite being a big man, I pretend to think I can dance (like hippos from Fantasia).

I appreciate when directors can use the right music for the right images and viceversa, that's something social networks generation lost on the way

I can't draw more than a stick figure myself, but there are other ways to make art, especially if you like computers or dumping acrylic all over the place!

If you ever want to tap into that side, don't forget that traditional drawing is far from the only avenue to start from. There's loads of inspiring threads around here and likely many people (myself included) who would be happy to show you the other ways that exist to make art.

Also, being 'simple-minded' about it is the secret key to creativity. Shhh! Don't tell anyone I revealed that!

I can't draw more than a stick figure myself, but there are other ways to make art, especially if you like computers or dumping acrylic all over the place!

If you ever want to tap into that side, don't forget that traditional drawing is far from the only avenue to start from. There's loads of inspiring threads around here and likely many people (myself included) who would be happy to show you the other ways that exist to make art
The problem is my brain isn't interested, it wants to create a better copy of Mona Lisa or nothing else.

Try to guess what I said to my guide when I saw Santa Sofia basilica in Roma?

IMG_20220806_182446.jpg

Haven't you find a couple of good bricklayers to fix it yet?

I think I subsumed my creativity to serve the analytical. I am good at designing experiments, poor at art and musical endeavors.

Some make art, some appreciate it. I believe each needs the other.

Film and Music are major arts.

Last edited:
The problem is my brain isn't interested, it wants to create a better copy of Mona Lisa or nothing else.
I'm referring to this. It's a common issue. It's a sort of perfectionism. Do you consider yourself a perfectionist?

I'm the opposite. Almost everything I do is artistic or musical in some way. I'm a "creative type" lol

But there's nothing wrong with being more logical/academic/analytical either. :) I did really well in science subjects in school but sometimes I wish I could be better at math or writing too! Most of my "brains" seem to have gone either into science-related things (mostly animal biology) or into artistic/musical things.

Cinema is an art. I make videos and I consider it a form of artistic expression. I think you could do a lot with film if you wanted to use it as a creative outlet.

New Threads

Top Bottom