• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic meltdown: is it prerequisite for ASD?

Have you experienced autistic meltdown

• Yes I have

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No I have not

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
I guess this is the classic example of meltdown process.

From what I understand, there is a process that represents the signs of extreme discomfort. It's like the "gas tank almost empty" light. I have no way to measure how much patience or brain power I have to handle some situations, but heeding the warning is a good thing. Only from years of experience do I know what I can enjoy, tolerate, and marginally endure. Crowds, noise, and chaotic activity can cause me to shutdown. If that happens, it's time to go. I suppose everyone's tolerance level is different.

I'm self diagnosed w/ PDD-NOS, officially w/ a "cognitive delay" and I've never had a meltdown. I can get frustrated with some things however (difficult missions in some video games for example, and I do feel a great sense of relief once I finally get past it).

Thanks for the article, makes me realise I might have meltdowns occasionally too! Lots to think about now.

Is there any difference between autistic meltdowns and normal meltdowns?
Does NT experience meltdowns too?
I think they do. I was in the hospital waiting for an appointment when there was an incident; a girl down on the floor shouting and screaming, while people tried in vain to calm her down. Eventually, she got up and moved, I assume, to a quieter part of the hospital. But I don't know that she was NT, she might have been on the spectrum or have mental heath issues, there are any number of causes for a meltdown. Hospital environments aren't easy for NTs either. My dad, not autistic, used to have some quite intense frustration outbursts, my partner the same.

I think they do. I was in the hospital waiting for an appointment when there was an incident; a girl down on the floor shouting and screaming, while people tried in vain to calm her down. Eventually, she got up and moved, I assume, to a quieter part of the hospital. But I don't know that she was NT, she might have been on the spectrum or have mental heath issues, there are any number of causes for a meltdown. Hospital environments aren't easy for NTs either. My dad, not autistic, used to have some quite intense frustration outbursts, my partner the same.
I think that NT losing nerves like totally is the situation where it could look like an individual is having a meltdown.

But to my understanding this would not be considered as meltdown but rather as nervous breakdown – which is just less intense (although still very intence experience). :D

Here is video I found explaining the ”regular” nervous NT breakdown:

Is there any difference between autistic meltdowns and normal meltdowns?
Does NT experience meltdowns too?
Yes, we can! Since I’m not on the spectrum I’m not sure if they feel the same but I’ve acted in such a way that would look like a meltdown. I definitely have shutdowns.

Guess realizing if certain situations can trigger you. l used to be triggered by a outburst of anger, l trained myself to ignore this, this went back to a angry loud stepfather. l realised sometimes l need alone space to just feel "normal", and there is always the bathroom, the car, my phone games to divert and recalibrate my brain like a reset button. I think we can be proficient at identifying emotional, environmental, physical stressors that make us feel not in the moment, and we then dial back systematically until we find our cable channel that we can operate at a relatively easy frequency. Basically l disconnect, and finally have realised, l do it way too much. Sorry about my post.

New Threads

Top Bottom