• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Convention today

I'd go, but crowds and noise make me want to run. As far as the spectrum flyers thing, too bad we can't have our own airline, Spectrum Airways.

Right and the motto could be: When being on the ground is too much of a pain, Spectrum Airways can keep you sane.

Last edited:
Right and the motto could be: When being on the ground is too much of a pain, Spectrum Airways can keep you sane.

Sanity is overrated. ;)

That said, just make sure they don't reduce the size of the seats any further. :rolleyes:

I don't know about going, but I do know that it starts at a very specific time and everyone is expected to follow the rules to the letter unlike those other conventions. You will be told every detail on everything happening, so no surprises and certainly no obligation to be interested!

I did fly home on a CRJ200. Those are pretty small.

I jest only because just a few days ago I saw a news story where the airline industry is apparently again seeking to shrink the size of seats to increase overall capacity on aircraft in general. :eek:

People are getting bigger & seats are getting smaller. It doesn't take a business degree to realize that that isn't good business.

People are getting bigger & seats are getting smaller. It doesn't take a business degree to realize that that isn't good business.

True, but then it also appears quite apparent that the airlines industry doesn't give a damn about what the consumers want. But then many industries reflecting inelastic demand don't care either.

Operating essentially on a premise that they are a collusive monopoly.

At your convention, an adjoining quiet room could be set up much like The Diogenes Club in the Sherlock Holmes stories. There should be plenty of comfortable chairs but also a strict no-talking and no-looking-at-each-other policy. You can either sit quietly, staring out the window and scowling, or read.

I'd rather see more small planes holding fewer passengers with directs between Eastern cities, saving the bigguns for trips to the West Coast & overseas.

I like the quiet room idea. What about sensory rooms?

How would Spectrum Airways operate?

Super-quiet turbo-electric planes with super-quiet interiors?
Different cabin classes to cater to different expressions of autism?
Autistic employees?

I jest only because just a few days ago I saw a news story where the airline industry is apparently again seeking to shrink the size of seats to increase overall capacity on aircraft in general. :eek:

Again? Ugh, I already have my knees squeezed like heck and pushed to the sides of the sit and get hit with the snack cart every time they ride through the aisle... :confused:

We have two seperate threads at this point but l now christen this thread the convention slash Spectrum Airlines thread. lol

As @Kalinychta said we could also have badges that say no contact or yes, you can stare and talk to me.

At this point there should be a famous museum of popular people on the spectrum, there are many writers, comedians that are well-known. Seinfeld is thought to be.

But if a convention; darker rooms, soft microphones, soundproof walls, headphones, first aid stations with isolation tanks, and 911 for the real squeamish, but no siren.

I like the quiet room idea. What about sensory rooms?

How would Spectrum Airways operate?

Super-quiet turbo-electric planes with super-quiet interiors?
Different cabin classes to cater to different expressions of autism?
Autistic employees?

I am not sure about spectrum stewardess, if they stim alot your red wine may end up on your head, like do we test for that, (question on employment form - where do you see yourself on the stim rating scale-1 =never 5=only on airplanes 10=Severe stimming under turbulence conditions

I don't know about going, but I do know that it starts at a very specific time and everyone is expected to follow the rules to the letter unlike those other conventions. You will be told every detail on everything happening, so no surprises and certainly no obligation to be interested!

Yes, we could have airline terminal screens with all the info as you walk into convention lobby, that way you don't have to talk to anybody. And we could have robots take coats.

Last edited:
Yes, we could have airline terminal screens with all the info as you walk into convention lobby, that way you don't have to talk to anybody. And we could have robots take coats.

Robots? Think Boston Dynamics could chip in then?

New Threads

Top Bottom