• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic client worries about behavior with other staff

jduth

A guy whom I know at a program in which I work for people with disabilities. He has high functioning autism. He got in trouble for following a staff member around who is a young woman whom he likes. We had a discussions. She made a complaint. He constantly worries about other staff members who might do so if he ever makes them uncomfortable. How do I deal with that?

To be honest, this is a tricky situation. I can relate strongly to him since I also worry about coming across as creepy or making other uncomfortable, and sometimes I do without meaning to. Ultimately, though I wouldn't be quite as blunt, I agree with what @Stardust Parade said. I'm not sure what you really can do in this situation. He exhibited behaviour he didn't know made someone uncomfortable, now he does know but is worried about doing the same thing. I don't see where you come into this, and I genuinely don't know how you can help in the future except continue telling him when he's making others uncomfortable with his behaviour. I think it's best to be direct when talking with him about stuff like this instead of making hints. This is for him to figure out.

In my experience, great supervisors always listen, try to maintain objectivity, and speak in ways so that those you supervise do not feel defensive.

Him being autistic isn’t very informative to you because we all experience it differently. Just treat him like you would treat any other supervisee… Meet his needs in the best way that you can and make sure that you are speaking with clarity and supporting your staff in ways that make them feel comfortable and motivated in the workplace.

To me it sounds like a normal issue of 'social illiteracy' which is quite common amongst those of us on the spectrum. What this means is that he cannot 'read' that she isn't interested in him other than as part of her job. He may also not 'see' just how uncomfortable he is actually making her. Sitting him down and explaining the situation may help as would setting some rules.

I’m this guys supervisor.
What does that mean, exactly?

Is the program some kind of work situation?

Or by supervisor, do you mean you are sort of a case worker
assigned to various clients?

Or what?

What does that mean, exactly?

Is the program some kind of work situation?

Or by supervisor, do you mean you are sort of a case worker
assigned to various clients?

Or what?
The program is more of a work situation. I’m also a case worker
assigned to various clients.

A guy whom I know at a program in which I work for people with disabilities. He has high functioning autism. He got in trouble for following a staff member around who is a young woman whom he likes. We had a discussions. She made a complaint. He constantly worries about other staff members who might do so if he ever makes them uncomfortable. How do I deal with that?

You can try to explain to him why this is uncomfortable in a unique and threatening way, since not all discomfort is equal. That if he follows people then he is invading their space, boundaries, and need for safety. He is also encroaching on their time with others and their alone time (maybe he will relate to the latter). You can also explain that this is not how people behave when they want others to trust them, and that people have no choice but to report him to ensure their safety, since he is making them question that.

I work in a similar kind of program, and this is what I would do, anyway.

You can try to explain to him why this is uncomfortable in a unique and threatening way, since not all discomfort is equal. That if he follows people then he is invading their space, boundaries, and need for safety. He is also encroaching on their time with others and their alone time (maybe he will relate to the latter). You can also explain that this is not how people behave when they want others to trust them, and that people have no choice but to report him to ensure their safety, since he is making them question that.

I work in a similar kind of program, and this is what I would do, anyway.
Okay. How do I tell he’s not. He gets along with them. He keeps worrying about it.

I meant that it might help if you explain why he can make some people uncomfortable in a threatening way, and others in a non-threatening way. That some behaviors are very likely to lead to him being reported, and others are not. If he's no longer following people, then maybe he's learned, and will just have to deal with his worry.

New Threads

Top Bottom