• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistamatic video on YouTube

Me and my hubby, Snubbyfan from Chooglin' with Snubby, bingewatched the videos last night. Can't say I was pleasantly surprised. They were more than pleasant and exactly what I expected from you. No surprise.
What I liked best was .... it was you and not me doing them! I am just too wordy. The other guys' were either too slow and humorless or loud and jumbled. Your pace and presentation were spot on warm and friendly but informative and believable. The audio and visual were just right to move it along without losing anybody. Like in your posts, you get the crucial points across with a lot less words. You say just what I mean but in a way both Aspies and NTs won't get bored off or scared off or ticked off or confused.

I can understand why we were warned about that one part where you illustrated the effect of sound. It was a fun fact that some people find that soothing. I prefer the rythm of my fan to loll me to sleep. This music was disconcerting but necessary to get the point across.

Last night I commented that Autistamatic just doubled the intelligence level of the YouTube. My Hubby, who used to tell people that he had doubled the value (which is literally true) of our automobile by putting his highly customized mountain bike on the roof rack, corrected me by saying, "No. At least tripled."

Hi all

I have just published the first video on the Autistamatic channel on YouTube. I am hoping to convey a taste of the duality of Asperger's and HFA - both the benefits and the deficits. In order to also reach the NT audience I have done it on camera, which I'm not entirely comfortable with, but it's a means to an end.

Please offer any constructive criticism, I do want to be as representative of as many of us as I can without making too many generalisations. I hope to present a genuine and favourable picture of both our struggles and our triumphs to others on the spectrum, and those outside the spectrum.
I will shortly post the second in the series and I hope to produce 2 to 3 a month in future.

If you genuinely like the video or it's message please share it with others and subscribe to the channel, it will help me a great deal because I would like to make a success of this channel. It is not currently monetised so it will not be delayed or interrupted by advertising.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy.

EDIT: Following feedback from this forum the following wording has bee added to the video description:

Warning: There is a short section including static between 9:18 and 9:25. If you are sensitive to static noise or images please skip these few seconds.

I just watched your video and think it is amazing! I appreciated that you clearly and thoughtfully shared meaningful insights into autistic and autistamatic experiences. I also watched your “newly diagnosed” video-it’s really good! I look forward to your next videos! Thank you so much

I enjoyed your video! :) The whole time you were talking about the "autistamatic zone", I was wondering how it differed from "hyper focus" in ADHD. Do you think that they could be the same thing? I definitely experience hyper focus sometimes. It is awesome, but very draining once all of my energy is gone.

I look forward to your next videos! Thank you so much
Thank you for your comments Jolynn. I think you'll enjoy the next one I'm currently working on "You don't look autistic" which touches briefly on microaggressions, and discusses the ways in which we adapt to social situations along with why doing so causes us such strain.

The whole time you were talking about the "autistamatic zone", I was wondering how it differed from "hyper focus" in ADHD
Glad you enjoyed it :)
I see no quantitative difference between what I describe as "the autistamatic zone" or hyper-focus. It's just a different way of expressing it to "de-clinicise" the concept and link it with the positive qualities that can be a product of autism.
The channel, and any other projects it may lead to, are my contribution to changing the narrative around autism. At the moment it is highly medicalised and subject to many harmful preconceptions and stereotypes. I want to see that change, which will take a long time, but I want to convey the message that we are just people who see the world differently, not some problem needing treatment or eradication, just understanding and compromise.
The word "Autistamatic" was carefully chosen (made up ;) ) to be clearly associated with autism, but also to have positive connections with efficiency and productivity. By verbally linking hyper-focus with the positive attributes we may have, our Autistamatic qualities, I hope to help in shifting the common perception away from us being obsessive, unreceptive and narrowly focused, towards being efficient and useful contributors to society.
Thank you for the question and I hope I've explained it well enough :)

Loved #4 too. Didn't know you had a twin. LOL
Do you do everything, the writing, lighting, the backgraound design, the uploading, holding the camera,etc. or does your wife help?

Thanks @TempeFan :)
At this point I do everything except hold the camera - I have a couple of tripods to do that for me ;)
My OH, whilst a very intelligent woman, is not technically or artistically minded but she's great for helping me get it right with very precise, constructive criticism. She's my "test audience".

I was about to ask the same question when my Other Half told me the answer. He is the technically and artistically minded one in our family. He speaks acronyms. I'm a wordsmith who speaks in whole sentences.

I watched LucyPurrs guy on the same subject and I wasn't particularly found of what he had to say about Aspies having to make up stories and tell half truths in order to appear more NT. It's what society demands but it's still bloody offensive and disrespectful to all. Lying and shaming is never the answer. Your video made it clear that the better way is for everybody to become better at communicating and accepting of another's differences.

I suppose it comes down to short term vs long term solutions in the end. Short term - we can fit in better by using strategies to minimise the impact our differences have on our own lives. In the long term, acceptance from both sides will yield more permanent results requiring less strategies to cope, but we ARE a long way off achieving that.

New Threads

Top Bottom