• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Speaks

Tigris

Good morning Aspiecentral,

this is Tigris. I am not a regular here as much as my own autism or Special needs community. However, I just received some data about Autism
Speaks. Basically I have heard of very bad things about them but I don't live in US or UK where their activities are most focused so I am not sure of their darksecrets.

The reason why I am looking for information on them is because a member of my community has alerted me that Autism Speaks is also extending their reach
to Asia as well. Our country's autism service provider I believe as I was told, is now working with Autism Speaks more and more frequently.

In the meantime, I am looking for net information. However if anyone here knows what is this group and how has this organization harmed Aspies in general, please do provide me with some hard core evidence. I am trying to convince the parent community in my country to see the evidence for themselves and make a better choice for their Aspie kids.

I may be getting this wrong but...
my understanding why people don't like them is that they market autism like its a tragedy. I personally hate there commercials, but i'm all for supporting parents who have idea and are facing something that is completely new to them

All I can really say about Autism Speaks is - look at their ad about autism. It is readily available on YouTube and speaks volumes about their views on autism.

Basically, they are a group that pushes for a cure for autism, and also - as far as I know - none of the people who run Autism Speaks are actually on the spectrum.

People on the autism spectrum who speak up against Autism Speaks are generally painted as being "not autistic enough" or are generally ignored.

I just watched 4 of their ads on youtube. They are negative. I know it's autism awareness day, but I think they do send out the wrong message.

Anyone who wonders what the controversy about Autism Speaks is should just read the "Controversy" section on the Autism Speaks Wikipedia article:

Autism-Speaks---Wikipedia,-the-free-encyclopedia_1333423684700.png

Anyone who wonders what the controversy about Autism Speaks is should just read the "Controversy" section on the Autism Speaks Wikipedia article:

Autism-Speaks---Wikipedia,-the-free-encyclopedia_1333423684700.png

In support if this, let me note the YouTube video, I Am Autism Speaks:

Video courtesy of YouTube and user MisterZonkerHarris; all rights remain reserved.

I find it a devastating, yet eminently fair, portrayal of how
the parents and families of persons with low-functioning autism
view people like me and our efforts to resist their views of our
plight.

Personally, I would love to see an image of Calvin (from the comic
strip Calvin and Hobbes) urinating on the logo for Autism Speaks
like he does on the logo for Ford Motor Company, the logo of some football
team that someone loves to hate, bla bla bla....

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I, living in Asia, does my best to promote support sites such as Aspies Central to friends and other people on the autism spectrum. Our message of hope and mutual support may help us to understand ourselves better, as well as gaining more support for those of us on the spectrum.

It would be a good alternative to witchhunters who want to hunt our autism down; the same could also be said of places where we follow a leader and then expect to do projects together, which (did happen to people around me) make us more lethargic than helped, or that we feel insulted ourselves, or even feel that they shouldn't be born as a person of the 'wrong socio-economic group' in the present age of exclusion.

New Threads

Top Bottom