• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism no excuse for beating up partners, judge says

That reminds me of years ago when I told my husband that the UK had recently recognized premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as a defense in a murder trial (which I don't think has ever been allowed in the US). He laughed and said "good" so when he kills me for having PMS, he will have a legal defense. I explained that the WOMAN raises the defense, not the man. LOL.

One of the worst defenses I've seen lately in the US is the so-called "affluenza" defense asserted for the POS kid from Texas who killed people while DUI, and his mommy (total nut jobber herself) took him to Mexico to evade trial. Poor little POS was so affluent that he allegedly did not know right from wrong, per his attorneys. Yeah, right. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell.....

The affluenza trials did not successfully use the defense strategy as both mother and son wound up in jail and with serious prison time. I think the defense team went out of their way with a “creative” defense because they had nothing else to go on. That was absolutely a travesty and legal debacle IMHO.

Sometimes all you can do is stand by, try to keep the child and others safe, and wait until it's over...which means:

You stay close.

You get them away from other people/get other people away from them.

You move fragile and potentially dangerous objects out of the child's reach.

If the child is at risk of injury from self-harm you try to estrain them or you try to redirect their aggression (e.g. old phone books to rip and claw at, punching bag or pillows or foam safety mats to hit and kick and smack your head against).*

You wait for the child to calm down.

Some children can be calmed during meltdowns (e.g. with restraining bear hugs or being wrapped tightly in a blanket, and/or hearing a calm/soothing voice). For others, this is either impossible (they are too strong/too big) or would simply escalate their feelings of panic and rage, prolonging the meltdown and/or worsening behavior over the long-term via traumatizing them. (I suppose that calming like this technically does, from a developmental perspective, have the potential to teach self-soothing, but I doubt this is what you mean by "discipline").

What would you do? Tell them to stop? Threaten consequences? Try to reason with them? Hit them? My parents did all that during meltdowns and all they ever accomplished was to make those meltdowns worse, and actually to make future meltdowns worse because I would instinctively expect to be hurt during meltdowns.

A child having a meltdown (at least what I define as a meltdown) is not able to think rationally -- you can't reason with them. Some people lose language processing abilities under stress (and a meltdown involves the most extreme levels of stress a person can experience), which complicates things even more. Many can't even remember most of what happens during meltdowns -- how are you supposed to learn from something you can't even remember?

A child having a meltdown is operating on basic instinct, in a state of extreme fight or flight where any attempt to intervene may be registered as an extreme threat -- the same level of fear as if the intervening person was an axe-weiling maniac attempting to chop off their head. The more aggressive the intervention (angry voice, shouting, physical discipline, threats) the more likely the child's out-of-control emotions and behavior will escalate and that they will simply be traumatized rather than learning anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Thinking about this, redirecting aggression counts as discipline, as it would hopefully (over time) become automatic/instinct.

You lived with these meltdowns, and learned plenty. Do you also have a child that went through this? It would be awesome if we all had this awareness, coping skill, and understanding, but 99.9 % of the population does not. This is why we keep hearing in the news about caregivers, school and police personnel, and bus drivers behaving badly with autistic children having meltdowns. No one knows what to do, but reverts to what they were brought up- which is discipline, restraint, yelling, and more. Or utter fear and helpless terror.

It takes a special person to understand, engage, and have the patience to endure all this. Only families and or specially trained people who work with Autism are taught to recognize, understand, and safely engage with the child prone to these negative behaviors.

Although I don’t condone this father’s behavior, it seems to be the culture he comes from, and he is doing what comes as his response to something he knows nothing about. He is clearly fearful, frustrated, uneducated, and enraged. So I can understand how he copes by beating his kid.

I see teenage “baby mamas” beating their kids all the time, and it’s due to lack of education, awareness, maturity, and cultural upbringing. That old saying “Spare the rod, and spoil the child” is still very much in action. It’s difficult to witness when I walk down the street, or ride the transit system.

People don’t care why a child is behaving badly, they want it to stop and stop immediately. It’s an instant gut reaction, just like when a car alarm keeps going off and no one shuts the damn thing off. Or stops their barking dog. It’s a sensory issue. It’s a fight or flight mechanism- in this case the parent “fights” his child.

Meltdowns can be so shocking to witness to the casual observer- sounds, actions, words, violence. Truly, one wants to run away, or call the police, or do something. But what? Interfering brings on potential violence but not interfering is potentially as bad.

I was under the impression that most people living on the spectrum have more of a moral backbone than this charming fellow.

The judge let him off way too easily, in my opinion.

I had many meltdowns when I was a child, but I never crossed the line into assaulting the people around me because even when I was at my worst, I knew that was a line that was not to be crossed.

I know this case very well and the report you have read is not quite what happened the report, female obviously, has reported incorrect information. Mr cawdron was the one who was assaulted as you can see by the cuts on his face, he retaliated by throwing a mobile phone at her befor leaving the area, at no point did he head butt her and he was never found guilty of that. He was found guilty of drink driving, failure to stop for police and assault by throwing a mobile phone at her. Thats it nothing more. You can check this put for yourself. As for the 3rd attack on a women, if you look into it first time he pushed passed a partner coursing no injury, the 2nd was throwing wallpaper past over a partner. All this information is available online. He states he did this to get away from this situation. At no point did he use autism as an excuse, the only time autism was mentioned, was to say when mr cawdron get frustrated as a result of his autism, he will do what is needed to keave the area. Julia Richardson the victim and head of adult social services who deal with autism knew about mr Cawdrons condition qnd still wouldnt let him leave the area and assaulted him. So Autism or not, who is to blame? Is this just another case of the autism person getting the blame? Reporter's should think before writing lies just to make it sound more intresting.

I know this case very well and the report you have read is not quite what happened the report, female obviously, has reported incorrect information. Mr cawdron was the one who was assaulted as you can see by the cuts on his face, he retaliated by throwing a mobile phone at her befor leaving the area, at no point did he head butt her and he was never found guilty of that. He was found guilty of drink driving, failure to stop for police and assault by throwing a mobile phone at her. Thats it nothing more. You can check this put for yourself. As for the 3rd attack on a women, if you look into it first time he pushed passed a partner coursing no injury, the 2nd was throwing wallpaper past over a partner. All this information is available online. He states he did this to get away from this situation. At no point did he use autism as an excuse, the only time autism was mentioned, was to say when mr cawdron get frustrated as a result of his autism, he will do what is needed to keave the area. Julia Richardson the victim and head of adult social services who deal with autism knew about mr Cawdrons condition qnd still wouldnt let him leave the area and assaulted him. So Autism or not, who is to blame? Is this just another case of the autism person getting the blame? Reporter's should think before writing lies just to make it sound more intresting.

Is that you, Mr. Cawdron, posing as "Simon"? LOL

The police arrested him after a drunken chase. His superficial injuries most likely were caused by the police, not by one of his weaker female victims. The witnesses in each of the three cases against Mr. Cawdron appeared in court, had no known reason to lie, and the Judge or jury heard the evidence presented in court and ruled according to the law. This guy is a serial violent offender against women. You don't have to break bones or permanently disfigure someone for your actions to constitute assault and battery.

No one is blaming autism for his behavior. Instead, everyone is saying that he cannot use autism to excuse his behavior.

Autism or not, violence is never the answer. People who use violence, whether they have autism or not, should face the punishment for their crimes.

To many people are quick to judge with out knowing the facts, read the real court report not a reporter who is trying to make it sounds worse then what it was to sell papers, its a fact people with autism cant cope in some situations. Anyone who really knows about autism will tell you this, not like the last guy who obviously stereotypes and pre judges people without knowing the facts, theres two sides to every story and i would love it if jan could comment on here, if you are reading this. My son as autism and he punches me almost every day if he doesn't get his own way. Theres always a tigger, its about finding out what the trigger is and trying to avoid it. To many people think autism and autistic are the same, there not so think before you post silly messages.

To many people are quick to judge with out knowing the facts, read the real court report not a reporter who is trying to make it sounds worse then what it was to sell papers, its a fact people with autism cant cope in some situations. Anyone who really knows about autism will tell you this, not like the last guy who obviously stereotypes and pre judges people without knowing the facts, theres two sides to every story and i would love it if jan could comment on here, if you are reading this. My son as autism and he punches me almost every day if he doesn't get his own way. Theres always a tigger, its about finding out what the trigger is and trying to avoid it. To many people think autism and autistic are the same, there not so think before you post silly messages.

The Court judged Mr. Cowdron after hearing all the evidence presented by both the prosecution and the defense. The Court heard both sides of the story. Everyone here knows about autism, perhaps even know more than you know about it. It would serve you well to read what other people who are on the autism spectrum have said here about Mr. Cowdron's violence and the fact that autism does not excuse violence.

If you, as a parent, are willing to allow your autistic child to hit you, then that is your choice. It would be good if you could get a grip on your child's behavior for HIS benefit so he can learn to control himself and not assault other people who likely would press criminal charges against your son and/or sue him civilly for money damages for his assault and battery on them. The rest of society does not want to be hit by anyone including someone with autism such as Mr. Cowdron.

If someone with autism is so unable to control basic instincts and their urges to use physical violence to "escape" an uncomfortable situation or their violence "triggers", then that person should be removed from society for the safety of others and for their own safety. In other words, some people are so violent and dangerous to society that they need to be locked up to protect society from them. One of these days, someone bigger and stronger than Mr. Cowdron may resort to retaliatory violence against him to prevent him from hurting them. Please note that he hits WOMEN, not men. Apparently, the arresting police had to resort to violence against Mr. Cowdron in order to subdue him and get his drunk-driving self off public roads before he killed someone. I have zero sympathy for him, although I recognize that he is obviously a troubled individual who certainly should not be drinking and driving.

I can assure you that if someone who looks like Mr.Cowdron's mug shot assaulted me, then I'd file a police complaint against him in a heartbeat. I'm a 65 year old grandmother who has never tolerated violence from anyone and have always defended myself to the best of my ability against aggression from others.

New Threads

Top Bottom