• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Diagnosis Pros vs Cons.

SimplyWandering

What would you say are the pros and cons of your diagnosis of Autism, Aspergers, or however you feel comfortable with being labeled - ASD?

Pro: After 23 years of wondering and the "system" trying to discover what was "wrong" with me, we finally had an answer.

Con: Try and get a job in the NT world with a diagnosis? OK I know that legally I don't have to mention it at application stage, but my trouble is I'm too honest and open and declare it and my other disabilities every time, consequently I'm still out of work, I haven't even done anything voluntary for about 16 months because there's nowt going that's suitable except Charity shops, and I've been there, done that and literally worn the T shirt in some cases.

I definitely think Pros are the ones to go to. I don't think Cons really have the training to do it properly. Probably a lot cheaper though.

The pros: Self-awareness equates to being forewarned and thus forearmed. Perhaps the most profound way to possible improvement of one's life.

The cons: That's more complex. Depending on your country and how it legally may approach healthcare, apart from autism in particular. Where a formal diagnosis may help you with benefits if required, or follow you around to possibly be discriminated against regardless of civil laws to the contrary.

You're going to be on the spectrum diagnosed or not. The biggest PRO for me is getting answers finally and accepting who I am for once. Con - The thought of one day the government going into these kinds of files and removing guns from the house based only on a diagnosis.

I am not even sure what is an official diagnosis. My psychologist told me after a number of months (I was seeing her due to suicide attempt and depression). I think you have to split the question into two parts. What is the advantage of an official diagnosis? and What are the advantages to finding our you have aspergers?

I don't think an official diagnosis helps and I think and earlier entry is right. the moment it is 'on record' then you have to declare it to the various insurance companies etc. So big downside.
The second question is different. I did not know about aspergers or ASD. So being told I am on the spectrum was a huge help. If you know you are ASD then diagnosis will not help you. A good psychologist is more important to help you deal with it. If you don't have money then maybe an official diagnosis would mean you could get help with a psychologist.

No con's. Just the pro's of understanding what makes me, me. Finally understanding that I'm not broken, I'm not a freak, I'm not helplessly dysfunctional. Finally understanding that I can stop trying to be like THEM because I'm not built the same as they are. It's freedom. It's a doorway to insight and understanding and growth. It's for me to keep to myself when appropriate, and to share with others when appropriate. By learning more and more about the AS mind, I can describe how I work to others without having to bring up a diagnosis (a lot of people react negatively to diagnosis talk; they think you're excusing yourself or looking for pity or something). To others who are mindful and educated about autism, I can bring it up so that they have a better scope through which to understand me.

Recently received a professional diagnosis of being on the spectrum. This was confirmed in part by brain scans.

It has been a relief for me to have my diagnosis 4 years ago at age 34.

To know that I do not have to try harder to be like everybody else. That I can just be who I am :)

I’m fine with the labels: ASD Aspergers Autism Aspie anything like that. I don’t see it as a label so much as a starting point. Something to help others get to know who I really am, and for them not to judge my behaviour in an unfair way.

New Threads

Top Bottom