• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and PMS/PMDD?

Amethystgirl

I'm almost 40 and I get severe PMS when I get really upset and cry. Do some people with autism have more severe PMS than neurotypicals?

Going back to that time, l had severe PMS. It's starts with craving chocolate, and fatty things, severe pain, then followed with me breaking up with the guy l was dating. In fact, this guy told me, he always knew it was that time, because l broke up with him regularly. I think l couldn't cope with PMS, personal relationships, because l was working full-time. Then it just railroaded into me breaking up with men when l am severely stressed for the rest of my life. They blame themselves, but it isn't them, l just can only cope with only so much.

Have you tried a warm bath or jacuzzi? Would a heating pad help? Great post, it's important to talk about this, men don't quite understand how bad the cramping is.

I would hazard a guess that the severity of one’s PMS is unique to the person, and not really something that is divided between neurodivergents and neurotypicals. There are so many different things that can affect how one feels during this time, and I don’t think that autism has anything to do with the severity of it. It would make sense that sensory sensitivity and difficulty filtering out certain stimuli could exacerbate some symptoms, but I think there are plenty of neurotypical women who have severe symptoms for myriad reasons.

Maybe not a clear division ND/NT, but there might be something to think about here: rather than compare and try to figure out which is more severe than which, I find it interesting to see if rigidity, black/white thinking, being stuck on negative experience despite positive experiences all around them and this type of outlook in general could lead to reacting more strongly to PMS. I'm thinking about the dysphoria aspect in particular. It could perhaps be lived in an extreme way when you're autistic. Which doesn't mean that NTs with other profiles wouldn't be able to have experiences that are just as bad. But maybe (some) autistic women can be hit very hard by such symptoms because they're autistic.

Thank you for explaining what l couldn't @Sasha22 . So true, l use to get so dysfunctional because of it, it was hard to get thru work. And l wouldn't go to the doctors, because l thought l just had to deal with it. So perhaps our NT female equivalents maybe better equipped to cycle thru it.

I had really bad PMS when I had periods but it was because of endometriosis.
I think PMS is more common than people think, and so are endometriosis and PCOS but they often go undiagnosed.

If it continues to be a really serious problem, definitely mention it to your gynecologist, if you haven’t already.

I'm almost 40 and I get severe PMS when I get really upset and cry. Do some people with autism have more severe PMS than neurotypicals?
I used to get it very severe, heavy bleeding and cramps. Going vegan helped me so much.
The cramps virtually stopped.
Because of my illness I had hair loss and bad PMS, when I went vegan, my pms felt much more mild and my cramping was virtually non existent and also I felt much better at my time of month and my hair loss stopped.
Going vegan changed my life.
I have never felt better about menstruation.
And I find it helps to rest a lot of your worse days and eat healthy. You may feel like eating bars of chocolate each day but if you must eat chocolate just a small amount and really healthy the rest of the time. Even if you feel less like food, just small healthy meals and snacks.

I had painful, heavy periods and endometriosis with fibroids that were undiagnosed until in my 30's. Had a DNC for it. Didn't help much.
Cycles were irregular also.
I was given BC pills to regulate things which helped a lot.

Starting periods was something I had dreaded long before it was time.
So, the sensory and dysphoria idea sounds reasonable to me.

I had really bad PMS when I had periods but it was because of endometriosis.
I think PMS is more common than people think, and so are endometriosis and PCOS but they often go undiagnosed.

If it continues to be a really serious problem, definitely mention it to your gynecologist, if you haven’t already.
I'm another woman with endometriosis, I believe that autoimmune disorders and endocrine disorders are common in autism.
I've also had IBS since birth, both conditions run in the family.
I also have a former classmate with both autism and endometriosis.

I don't know if I have PMS but when I still had periods (I'm on birth control that completely prevents my period because of endometriosis) I would start crying just looking at a beautiful image or listening to a song lol.

I think every woman or girl, when they have PMS, feels awful. I get really bad cramping and sometimes I feel so lonely and down. I cry too. PMS is the worst.

There is also a condition called Pre Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Some women and girls, who are estrogen dominant are affected psychologically by the hormonal changes of Ovulation and Menstration. They become violent, yelling, even becoming physically abusive during this time. They may become more reckless and even commit crimes like stealing or road rage.

Estrogen dominance causes progesterone levels to plummet. Progesterone is one of the balancing female hormones that kicks in at the second half of a woman's cycle. When Progesterone is low, the female body compensates by producing higher levels of Testosterone and other androgens. On a woman, this causes cystic acne, facial hair, heavy periods, extremely painful cramping, and tumors or other growths or inflammations on the female sex organs.

Hormonal treatment is needed for the underlying cause of PMDD. Herbs can be efficient in this as well. Sometimes, though, hormone therapy isn't enough, or perhaps it causes more trouble. In these cases, perhaps, psychological medication would be necessary.

Actually on a completely selfish note, this thread had great timing as yesterday I was feeling at the bottom of a hole and then I realized it was likely PMS. And then the sun started shining again. And then I felt low again but I could disregard it and go about my business since I now had an explanation.

So I'm wondering if: since oftentimes being autistic implies being used to hearing that you're not the way you should be, and being used to not having an explanation as to why things are difficult, and having a tendency to catastrophizing, couldn't that perhaps play a role in being strongly affected by PMS too? I don't know how that would fit with the physical aspects, the pain etc, and this surely can't be the only explanation but well, that's my 50 cents. :)

Was reading that women on the spectrum can experience worse PMS symptoms or PMDD as it’s called, I definitely relate to this because during my time of the month I become very depressed and all my coping mechanisms go out the window. Does anyone here experience extreme PMS?

I've been on the contraceptive pill since I was 18 and my depression goes from bad to non-existent throughout the cycle, and peaks during my period. So since April last year I started taking the pill continuously without having a break, and it was wonderful. My depression stabilized, well, as in disappeared. But even though I had checked on Google if it was safe to continuously take the pill without a 7-day break, I discovered it wasn't meant to be taken continuously for too many months, so the doctor told me to take a break at least 3 times a year. As soon as I took the first break in 8 months, my emotions began spiking up and down again, and the depression set in.

Was reading that women on the spectrum can experience worse PMS symptoms or PMDD as it’s called, I definitely relate to this because during my time of the month I become very depressed and all my coping mechanisms go out the window. Does anyone here experience extreme PMS?
Yes I felt like i would die each time from the pain.
I have had a lot of complex hormone issues and I feel a bit of it may be genetic too
Anyway it is not easy. There is not a lot of compassion too, do you think there is for menstruation or people expect you to soldier on?
What is your view? People and workplaces have compassion and sensitivity surrounding menstruation?
It is a big deal for a woman and you we do always feel the best at that time of month.
And there are so many additives, preservatives, sugars, pesticides, packaged foods, added hormones woman put in their bodies in this day and age instead of eating fresh foods?

New Threads

Top Bottom