• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and learning difficulties or disabilities

WildCat

V.I.P Member
I had wanted to make a thread about this for a while. Not sure if this is the right section of the forum, if not then sorry.

Anyways, I've been doing some reading about the current estimates of intellectual capacity in autistics. I know that by definition that Asperger's cannot involve delays in intellect...as for autistic disorders though - one minute I see 3 out of 4, next I see 50%, then I ready a study that states that the intellect of autistics is being measured inaccurately. Do you feel that many autistics are being wrongly diagnosed and treated as intellectually delayed? Or are they right after all?

Myself, I was given the exact same type of Raven's test in one of the studies I mentioned back in my younger years. I was given a "gifted" label thereafter, yet at a certain point in my education (around the 6th-7th grade or so) I began to struggle with making sense of all the classwork and had even withdrawn from an accelerated program I was placed in. Maybe it was because I didn't try hard enough, or because I really did have learning difficulties that no one bothered to address or pick up on. No one picked up on my autism, I was just expected to keep at the pace of the rest of my peers...but I couldn't.

I am not sure about all the statistics as I truly have not researched it.

I can say that my son who is 9 and in the 3rd grade rates 5th grade on everything but math. It's not so much that he cant do it, it's that he gets bored with it. He does so much better at home with me in math as I know how to reach his interest and we can get a lot done. This has shown to be a problem however as he has learned that since he prefers my way of helping him or teaching him math. He has started to not participate in the class and is bringing home way to much math lol He has somehow been allowed to bring home classwork and I am in need of talking with his teacher as he must learn to accept others way and not fall on me as one day I wont be there to be allowed to do this for him. I hope that makes sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom