• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and computer science

Mister Anonymity

Hello guys.

I've been told in the media or by people close to me that individuals who have autism are highly proficient in computer science or advanced computer programming/data theory. Is that a myth? People close to me told me that I should do computer science. They told me it would "help me". I think I should do computer science because I do have a strong aptitude for math and a good work ethic. I mean, I did manage to survive mathematics in high school, but I never pursued it in university.

I don't think it's a myth but it definitely is an overgeneralization. I also don't think being good at math always translates to being a good programmer. I am also fairly good at math but I was never able to get past 'Hello World' in programming. Everyone is different though so if you want to you should send it.

It's a generalization if anything. Even a stereotype. :oops:

I also believe you have to distance somewhat the notion of what it takes to accomplish a formal education versus one's individual aptitude for various things. They aren't necessarily one and the same. And being able to excel in secondary education is no guarantee of succeeding in higher education either.

I graduated with a degree in political science- not computer science. Math and science were definitely not my best subjects, yet I spent most of my professional days in financial analysis and insurance underwriting. Also did website design for a few years for a major corporation having gone back to vocational school as a middle-aged adult. I'm much better at building computers than doing programming.

Or as we like to say here, "If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie." While we may have any number of autistic traits and behaviors common to one another, collectively speaking we're quite different in any number of ways, much like our Neurotypical counterparts.

With lots of variables in terms of what we succeed or fail at.

Last edited:
It was true for me. I could spend hours programming (special interest) back in late 70's, early 80's, when the first home PC's came out. Not maths though, just the logic and imagination of writing code (BASIC) that did things I wanted it to do.

I think the main idea is a lot of AS people have special interests. Those special interests are often in pursuits of logic for reasons I'm not really sure I understand. Computer Science fits into that category.

But if it's not a special interest of yours already, I don't see any need to try and force it. Give it a try, if you like it, go for it. If not, pick something else.

I picked up computer programming as a special interest early on (when I was 8). It led me to a 10 year career in IT. But in the end I couldn't take the office politics, and now enjoy a life of mostly solitary subsistence farming and construction.

My best suggestions would be: Do what you love, and try hard not to let other people ruin it for you.

Stereotypes get a bad rap because people abuse them or misunderstand them. I don't believe that autistic people are automatically good at computer science. But my extensive experience in both hardware and software lead me to observe that there is some kind of truth to the stereotype. My theory is that some people--especially the less-socially-adept--are attracted by and drawn into places where two things happen. First, with your nose in a printout or schematic, you aren't required to be as proficient in the social graces (big sigh of relief.) Second, hardware and software are exceedingly predictable; when something goes wrong there is usually little question about what should be happening that isn't -- or vice versa. This was very attractive to me, and I have no doubt that I lived in a world where I wasn't quite as unusual as I am elsewhere.

My career in the computer industry was very successful. I even had my own computer sales and service company for 20 years. However back when I started in this industry the only degree program was for an associates in data processing. All my efforts to get a degree failed.

Today the computer industry has the same kind of educational restrictions as other professions. I was never able to test well academically. However in the business work, those tests I took identified me as a person with unlimited potential for success.

Something is radically wrong with our educational systems. Getting an IT degree today is as challenging as any other profession. The creative kind of person is still required to master linear tools and methods.

John

As others have said, try it. See if you like it.

I got hooked on programming in high school.
Before that course, the two-column proofs of Geometry class helped me to think like a programmer.
Algebra helps me to write tighter code [more efficient programming].
I haven't had much call for my highest math, Trigonometry.

I spend most of my time thinking how does the universe works, mainly trying to picture various hypothesis in my head as I am a very visual thinker, a bit of math, lots of logic, if I cannot picture it, I know its wrong. Example cannot visualize string theory, even most prominent physicists swear by it, loop quantum gravity, however I can visualize. I guess I'm the exception that breaks the stereotype us aspies like programming.

It’s not for everyone but good for some on the spectrum I would say. If computer science is an interest of yours go for it but if not I’d find something that better fits your interests. My ex who is on the spectrum has a computer science job and is doing very well with it.

I'm not very good with electronics. I think I could have been if I lived in the city.

As a child I'd see those "ITT Tech" commercials in the 1980s, and it looked fascinating. I really just stared at the commercials and imagined for hours and hours, working in computer aided drafting. But we were way out in the country, where most of our friends didn't have electricity, and they only had a generator to run the TV. Plus I was a girl, and it was made very clear that women don't do that kind of work. So I never pursued it.

Instead, my big obsession became the natural world. Collecting herbs for food and medicine. I go into a forest and I see it with the eyes of an herbalist.

Rather than just noticing I am in a grove of cedar, oak, and english ivy, I see a medicine chest. I know that if I mix the three plants, I have a powerful antiviral medicine that will cure pneumonia.

Or if I'm passing a creekside, and I see horsetail and mullein, I don't see weeds, I see a soothing cure for bladder infections.

If I notice a thicket of water hemlock and bittersweet nightshade, I view it with the respect that you'd give a rattlesnake. Back away and let it live in peace, and hope it never gets you.

With all plants, I kind of see the body system it treats and I imagine it grouped together for treatments. I imagine working with circuit boards is somewhat like that.

I imagine working with circuit boards is somewhat like that.
Physical electronics [hardware] & programming [software] are both very modular, comparable to Legos (which come in specific shapes).

In hardware, you have to buy physical "Legos" [components] to complete the project.
In software, you can use whatever "Legos" [instructions] you want, at will.
I am a certified electronic technician & programmer, but I prefer the latter for the reason given.

It’s not for everyone but good for some on the spectrum I would say. If computer science is an interest of yours go for it but if not I’d find something that better fits your interests. My ex who is on the spectrum has a computer science job and is doing very well with it.
Thank you for your encouragement. The reason I'm pursuing this academic discipline is because I need something structured in my life. I need rigorous patterning and rigid structure because I realize that I will never fit in with the social world. I need to be a programmer because socializing is a pain and watching other people excel at it is painful. That being said, if the computer programming doesn't work out, I can find something else to occupy my time. I'm currently pursuing english literature studies. When I'm done, I'll circle back to the computer science.

Physical electronics [hardware] & programming [software] are both very modular, comparable to Legos (which come in specific shapes).

In hardware, you have to buy physical "Legos" [components] to complete the project.
In software, you can use whatever "Legos" [instructions] you want, at will.
I am a certified electronic technician & programmer, but I prefer the latter for the reason given.
That sounds so pleasant

I’m completely brain dead when it comes to computers and math. Dyslexia and dyscalculas (sp?).

I can draw anything I look at, can see color difference so well it got me work in the yacht industry (gel coat), but not sure where this fits if at all. Was told there is an extra prism in my vision for the color, but also I’m monocular vision in both eyes (see two of everything with shadows so yeah, 4).

Again, the math and computers - I’d starve if I had to do it for a living.

Why I do believe I was correct, you are a Sister! Oh my! I do love to mix herbs and to heal with them, just started growing horsetail last year. Our Vitex trees are beautiful and they had to be made Bonzi trees since they are in pots. We have had to move a few times and have one more move this year then hopefully that will be our retirement home. We are moving to a very cold climate and I’m a bit concerned on how to keep these herbs going.

Maybe you could give me some herbal tips on growing and using ~ will send my email address via PM :)

I'm not very good with electronics. I think I could have been if I lived in the city.

As a child I'd see those "ITT Tech" commercials in the 1980s, and it looked fascinating. I really just stared at the commercials and imagined for hours and hours, working in computer aided drafting. But we were way out in the country, where most of our friends didn't have electricity, and they only had a generator to run the TV. Plus I was a girl, and it was made very clear that women don't do that kind of work. So I never pursued it.

Instead, my big obsession became the natural world. Collecting herbs for food and medicine. I go into a forest and I see it with the eyes of an herbalist.

Rather than just noticing I am in a grove of cedar, oak, and english ivy, I see a medicine chest. I know that if I mix the three plants, I have a powerful antiviral medicine that will cure pneumonia.

Or if I'm passing a creekside, and I see horsetail and mullein, I don't see weeds, I see a soothing cure for bladder infections.

If I notice a thicket of water hemlock and bittersweet nightshade, I view it with the respect that you'd give a rattlesnake. Back away and let it live in peace, and hope it never gets you.

With all plants, I kind of see the body system it treats and I imagine it grouped together for treatments. I imagine working with circuit boards is somewhat like that.

Go for it if it interests you. If you find it fascinating the time will fly by (it possibly then invades all you personal time too - but the way I see it, someone is basically paying me to do my hobby). If it doesn't interest you then I suspect it is possibly the dullest thing in the world and you'll maybe find it hard to keep up - you'd be better off finding something that really does interest you. There isn't so far as I've ever seen any data to support being intrinsically better at computer science or technology, but I do believe that it is an area where it isn't as likely to be perceived as a disadvantage. I think traditionally the culture of IT has also been well aligned to some behavioural patterns that are not necessarily well tolerated in other professions (outside academia), and so as others have indicated, people on the spectrum possibly gravitate towards it because it's possibly easier to 'fit in'. There is an inherently respectful attitude with regards to avoiding interrupting or distracting people who might 'in the zone' - task focussed or deep in thought: so long as you get the work done and aren't disruptive everyone is happy; you still need to have an aptitude for the job itself though.
I say traditionally, because there is now a shift towards what is known as 'agile' ways of working. This isn't necessarily an issue on the technical side, but it is a lot more unstructured, and involves a lot more ambiguity and a lot more collaborative work - which can involve social aspects that some might find stressful.

New Threads

Top Bottom