• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and being successful at work

When I first started out, I was really scared I wouldn't be able to hold down a job and be financially independent, so I guess I can consider myself successful in that I don't worry about that anymore. I think it was Neil Gaiman who said you only need 2 out of 3 traits to survive a job (I'm paraphrasing): be on time, be really good at what you do, and be the kind of person people like to hear from (it's the first two for me, heh).

I've worked with other people who are also neudivergent but probably undiagnosed, but I'm still the only one I know who's stereotypically autistic (and I'll bet there are people at work who have guessed as much). I agree with the person who mentioned burnout. I haven't even worked for 11 years yet, but I can feel myself getting there. It's always a cycle of me feeling like I have to work hard at the beginning (so I won't be fired), then people constantly expecting me to do the workload of 4 people, then me not being able to find time to goof off and socialize because of that expectation, then me feeling like my high output is the only value I can bring to the table anyway.

I have attempted to smile more and be friendlier earlier this year, but I've noticed that's impossible to do when you're hitting a new level of anxiety and depression.

Hi!! This is my first post! Anyone here had long term success with staying in a career? My work is a very social profession. I've been struggling for 4 years. But this is what I got my degree in so I'm here for the rest of my life. Wondering if anyone has advice for social work environments and if it's possible to be successful and happy. I'd love to hear any work success stories that people want to share. I hope I made this post correctly!
Hi, how’s everyone

I held down a job for 40+ years and retired last year after completing my career. I was diagnosed less than one year before I retired.

There were some things I was not good at in work, but there were areas where I did very well

I've been at the same job for 20 years, and although I am still just an employee - not a manager or boss of any sort - I'm in a fairly senior position and have the respect of a lot of people at work.

I'm a programmer and mathematician, and my autism has given me an ability to master anything that is rules and logic based. My success is due 50% to my autistic abilities and 50% to accidentally finding a good career match for my abilities.

My job isn't a very social job at all. I joke that people give me a problem and put me in a closet, and then I come out when I have it solved.

The one social thing that I can think of that I do right is to deliberately work on being friendly and cheerful to everyone. It has made a world of difference and gotten me a good reputation.
what do you do if you dont mind me asking ?

I've been looking for a job that fits me well for a long time. I quit a few jobs because, although I was good at them, they took too much of a toll on me. I seem to have found a job that suits me very well now. It's a bit early to speak about long term employment, because I've only worked here for a little under four months, but my boss has told me he really wants me to stay long time. I enjoy my work, I like my coworkers and my hard work is seen and appreciated.

what do you do if you dont mind me asking ?

I work for a gaming company - we make slot machines, lottery terminals, etc. I started out just doing programming, but I would jump at the chance to solve any math problem that came along. It was actually through work that I realized I like math so much. I breezed through math classes in college but I was so self-unaware that I never thought about it. Over 20 years, I got the reputation of being the guy to solve math problems. I've solved a few problems that made the difference between canceling a product and successfully launching it.

I work for a local government. I'm an information professional with a specialized focus on things that can be mapped. I'm not in a position that tells people 'no' however so mostly people leave pretty happy when they see me since I"m providing information they want. It's sometimes a social position by nature but usually people come to me within a very specific context(s) which I'm comfortable with. I suggest finding what situations you're comfortable with and finding a position where you're dealing with those things. Depending on where you are that may be very difficult but that's the best advice I can give you.

New Threads

Top Bottom