• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and Alcoholism are Genetically Linked

Thanks for the link,Smith. I went there to read the article then got lost on the site reading everything else. Did you read the article about the guy whose Irish mother drank so heavily that it eventually killed her? I was surprised she endured as long as she had. I didn't know it was physically possible for someone to drink that much & live let alone do it daily for years: I guess she built up some kind of weird resistance. When her son describes her extraordinary intellectual abilities, it made me wonder if perhaps she was an undiagnosed Aspie who was self-medicating.

Alcoholism runs in my birth family and I know I have to be very strict with myself about any substance use to avoid falling into the same trap. I've had a few battles with addiction already in my fairly short life.

I would be very curious to see the statistics on substance abuse within the Aspie/ASD/HFA community with and without the genetic predisposition to alcoholism. I've been guilty of substance abuse at various times. I have a fair bit of trouble turning down a drink, and have had a few run ins with more serious drugs as well. Several other aspies I've met have had similar problems with self medication, and I'd be curious to see if it is a trend within the community or just due to the environment I'm in and people I know.

I don't think that article is much proof there's an actual 'link' there as such. Lots of people share lots of genes. But, just because some autistic people might go down the substance misuse road doesn't mean it's mandatory. I think for a lot of us adult aspies, for example because of the lack of diagnosis and help in our early years, have been more prone to substance misuse as a way of self medicating.

Are we prone to abusing ourselves because of our problems mixing with the rest of the NTs? Probably, but a lot of NT's go down the same road, so we aren't alone in that aspect of life.

Ive gone teatotal for a couple of years now, and I'd say I'm happier now than at any other point in my life. But, it's happiness based on less stress in my life, and knowing what I am (an aspie) which has slowly but surely stopped me craving alcohol as an escape. Ive managed to change my life into something a little more bearable. I didn't really set out to stop drinking, but the need grew less and less over time. Mind you, antidepressants have probably helped!!

I find it interesting watching some of the younger adults here on AC talk about themselves, and see them drinking as a means of escape. I wonder about the difference in generations here. If I'd have known about me being an aspie when I was growing up, would I have turned to drink at all in the first place? How much of this is "peer pressure" and attempting to fit in?? If that need was removed at the start, what would drinking achieve from the social aspect?

Again, I'm not sure whether this is an aspie/autistic thing exclusively or just a "growing up" issue in general. I find I'm able to look back at my life now, and realise how much of it Ive wasted so far. That knowledge only comes with age(!!)

I don't think that article is much proof there's an actual 'link' there as such. Lots of people share lots of genes. But, just because some autistic people might go down the substance misuse road doesn't mean it's mandatory. I think for a lot of us adult aspies, for example because of the lack of diagnosis and help in our early years, have been more prone to substance misuse as a way of self medicating.

Are we prone to abusing ourselves because of our problems mixing with the rest of the NTs? Probably, but a lot of NT's go down the same road, so we aren't alone in that aspect of life.

Ive gone teatotal for a couple of years now, and I'd say I'm happier now than at any other point in my life. But, it's happiness based on less stress in my life, and knowing what I am (an aspie) which has slowly but surely stopped me craving alcohol as an escape. Ive managed to change my life into something a little more bearable. I didn't really set out to stop drinking, but the need grew less and less over time. Mind you, antidepressants have probably helped!!

Totally agree with Tarragon. I would say that the chances of us ending up as substance abusers as a form of self medication would be higher due to the extra challenges we face in an NT world.

I am kind of lucky because I have a severe allergic reaction of the sulphates that they use as a preservative in alcohol so I can't drink alcohol (except with special drops). Because it took me years to discover that the sulphates were the reason for the allergic reaction and not the alcohol I avoided it like the plague and now I can't drink more than about half a beer (me and my husband know the brands that are safe for me to drink). And honestly if I wanted to do drugs I could just go to the doctor and they would probably dope me up on all sorts of anti depressants and anti anxiety medications that I wouldn't know if I'm coming or going and I could avoid that hefty bill to some bikie drug dealer.

I found that article a bit simplistic ... too little information for my brain to accept if it was real. But I wouldn't be surprised to find a high incident of substance abuse in those on the spectrum than NTs.

Well, this also has effects to other disorders, too:

Five disorders from depression to autism share a genetic link, which could pave the way for new treatments

Autism, ADHD, bipolar disorder, depression and schizophrenia overlap at a genetic level
Two gene markers common to all of the disorders govern the balance of calcium in brain cells
New understanding could help develop treatments

Five disorders from depression to autism share a genetic link, which could pave way for new treatments | Mail Online

New Threads

Top Bottom