1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Australia's Fires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Judge, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

My heart goes out to all the people and living creatures being impacted by fires all over the entire continent. I'm just happy to see that my country can lend the help of professional volunteer fire-fighters that they need very badly at the moment.

This is an exposure that we here in the desert must deal with as well. Glad there are some firefighters in Nevada lending their expertise and risking their lives to our friends in Australia.

Who knows? We may need their help in the future.

A visual guide to Australia's bushfire crisis

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

Wow, that's a lot of fires. Stay safe Australian friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It's horrifying to hear that some estimate the loss of animal life at over one billion, apart from human losses and property damage.

Seeing wild kangaroos and koalas running towards well-meaning humans to give them water. Gratifying and heart-breaking at the same time. To see so much wildlife running for their lives. Very sad.

How Many Animals Have Died in Australia’s Wildfires?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Agreed. Lot of damage to ecosystem from this.

5. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It's devastating to watch this happen from afar. Australia has some of the rarest animals in the world, that live no where else.
    Some 83% of mammals, 89% of reptiles, 90% of fish and insects and 93% of amphibians that inhabit the continent are endemic to Australia.

Canada has also sent firefighters to Australia: A total of 95 Canadians from fire services in Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Parks Canada will be working in Australia this week following previous deployments on Dec. 3, Dec. 19 and Dec. 30. The first crew will return on Jan. 9 after a 38-day deployment.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Joel I

Joel I Well-Known Member

Unfortunately fire has been spreading into rainforest that takes about 50 years to recover if at all. The temperature of the fire has also increased to a point everything including old established trees that can usually survive fire are dying.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

Did you know that all of these fires are the result of man's doing? The sad irony is, it was all done with good intentions in mind. Let me explain. Ever since the 1900's, man has waged war ageist forest files, deploying fire fighters at a whims notice and using propaganda to inform the public to do there part to prevent fires in the first place. The problem is, is that without those naturally occurring fires to burn out all the dead material, it just accumulates to a critical point and BAM! Once it gets started. Decades of unburnt dead material is gonna go up just like gasoline and there's not a damn thing you can go to put it out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

This is pretty bad, that is such a beautiful country.

9. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

arson is also man’s doing and a Australian volunteer firefighter is going to be judged for committing arson, other arsonists have also been out pleasuring themselves, that has nothing to do with wildfires.

10. LucyPurrs

LucyPurrs NT, INFJ V.I.P Member

Horror and helplessness upload_2020-1-14_7-58-19.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

rfs.nsw.gov.au and rfs.vic.gov.au
    You will understand how many fires are still happening

12. Varzar

Varzar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

That was very depressing, I wish I hadn't looked now.. :(

13. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

Sad to see what's happening there. My very best to everyone over there right now.

14. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

During WW2, the Japanese firebombed the coastal forests of Oregon, and the fire was so hot it killed all the trees, even the seeds. So the state of Oregon worked together, and they planted millions of seedlings after the fire. Nowadays it is known as the Clatsop State Forest and spans a giant mountain range. The trees are so lush and gigantic that logging is a major industry there. The forest is full of elk, owls, even wolves have been spotted there for the first time in over fifty years.

I say this because I just want you to know that if you replant, there is hope for the ecosystem to come back as lush as before. We have seen it here in Oregon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

Is it bad that I don't really care or feel anything? I mean it's a terrible tragedy, but I'm not crying or worrying and I'm just moving on with my own life. So many tragedies have happened in the world in the past two decades that after a while I had to either stop caring and go numb, or go completely insane from fear and anxiety and be locked up in a home or a hospital. Again.

16. christopher.k

christopher.k roosterman

^ only if your mental health gives you the luxury to care about things happening so far away
    I wish I wasn't tied down right now or id go out there and volunteer directly
    but since I can't I also can't afford to spend my energy fretting about it.

17. Aspie_With_Attitude

Aspie_With_Attitude Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This has been my idea how Australian bushfire victims who lost their homes in the horrific bushfire crisis.

For the effort too rebuild, perhaps NASA and SpaceX can help by testing out robotic 3D printers to rebuild the homes lost in the fires.