• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Australian Candy Bar "Violet Crumble" doesn't taste like violets

Magna

V.I.P Member
Why does the Australian candy bar known as a Violet Crumble not taste like violets? I bought one today at a candy store in the U.S. because I've never seen one before.

The man who developed the candy named it after his wife's
favorite flower. He had wanted to just call the candy "Crumble"
but that wouldn't have protected exclusive rights to the name.

So, he called it Violet Crumble, instead of just Crumble.

History

A Violet Crumble shown shattered after hitting a hard surface.
Abel Hoadley opened a jam factory in South Melbourne, Victoria, in 1889, trading as A. Hoadley & Company. By 1895, business had expanded rapidly and Hoadley built a five-storey premises, the Rising Sun Preserving Works. He produced jams, jellies, fruit preserves, candied peels, sauces, and confectionery and employed a workforce as large as 200. By 1901, there were four preserving factories and a large confectionery works. Hoadley had acquired the firm of Dillon, Burrows & Co. and extended his products to vinegar, cocoa, and chocolate. In 1910, the jam business was sold to Henry Jones Co-operative Ltd. and in 1913, Hoadley's Chocolates Ltd was formed.

The same year, Hoadley produced his first chocolate assortment and packed them in a purple box decorated with violets. The packaging was in tribute to his wife's favorite colour (purple) and favorite flower (violets). Within the box, assortment was a piece of honeycomb that became so popular that Hoadley decided to produce an individual honeycomb bar.

This proved trickier than first thought because as the pieces of honeycomb cooled, they absorbed moisture and started sticking together. This hygroscopic nature of honeycomb led Hoadley to eventually dip his bars in chocolate, to keep the honeycomb dry and crunchy. Thus, in 1913, the Violet Crumble bar was created.

Hoadley wanted to call his new bar just Crumble but learned that it was not possible to protect the name with a trademark. He thought of his wife (Susannah Ann née Barrett) and her favourite flower, the violet, and registered the name Violet Crumble, using a purple wrapper with a small flower logo.[citation needed] It was an instant success. Violet Crumbles are crispier in texture than Crunchie bars, with a slightly more marshmallow taste.

Violet Crumble - Wikipedia

FAQ | Violet Crumble

Thank you for the info, tree. I also want to try another type of Australian candy bar called a Cherry Ripe. Only because it's mentioned in a favorite autism themed movie I like called Mary and Max.

Treats - Cherry Ripe
Australia_-_Cherry_Ripe.jpg

That one's more straightforward.
It's got cherries in it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/
Mary and Max - Wikipedia

Cherry ripe is good they make a few varieties now with dark choc and extra choc. it's mashed cherries with coconut in a choc coating.

I though violet crumble was cos of the violet wrapper. Haven't eaten them since skewl though, just such a sugar hit. Honeycomb in choc coating for people who don't know the product.

I have eaten Violet Crumble for years. They are relatively easy to get at specialty grocers in the Greater SF Bay Area, which includes Sacramento. They are quite tasty. I assumed that the "violet" was a reference to the delicate nature of the honeycomb filling.

Cherry ripe is good they make a few varieties now with dark choc and extra choc. it's mashed cherries with coconut in a choc coating.

I though violet crumble was cos of the violet wrapper. Haven't eaten them since skewl though, just such a sugar hit. Honeycomb in choc coating for people who don't know the product.
strange to call it that ,it's what the fruitgrowers and sellers in England shouted so people would buy their raw! ripe cherries nothing! to do with candied sugar and cherry juice

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, tree. I also want to try another type of Australian candy bar called a Cherry Ripe. Only because it's mentioned in a favorite autism themed movie I like called Mary and Max.
The man who developed the candy named it after his wife's
favorite flower. He had wanted to just call the candy "Crumble"
but that wouldn't have protected exclusive rights to the name.

So, he called it Violet Crumble, instead of just Crumble.

History

A Violet Crumble shown shattered after hitting a hard surface.
Abel Hoadley opened a jam factory in South Melbourne, Victoria, in 1889, trading as A. Hoadley & Company. By 1895, business had expanded rapidly and Hoadley built a five-storey premises, the Rising Sun Preserving Works. He produced jams, jellies, fruit preserves, candied peels, sauces, and confectionery and employed a workforce as large as 200. By 1901, there were four preserving factories and a large confectionery works. Hoadley had acquired the firm of Dillon, Burrows & Co. and extended his products to vinegar, cocoa, and chocolate. In 1910, the jam business was sold to Henry Jones Co-operative Ltd. and in 1913, Hoadley's Chocolates Ltd was formed.

The same year, Hoadley produced his first chocolate assortment and packed them in a purple box decorated with violets. The packaging was in tribute to his wife's favorite colour (purple) and favorite flower (violets). Within the box, assortment was a piece of honeycomb that became so popular that Hoadley decided to produce an individual honeycomb bar.

This proved trickier than first thought because as the pieces of honeycomb cooled, they absorbed moisture and started sticking together. This hygroscopic nature of honeycomb led Hoadley to eventually dip his bars in chocolate, to keep the honeycomb dry and crunchy. Thus, in 1913, the Violet Crumble bar was created.

Hoadley wanted to call his new bar just Crumble but learned that it was not possible to protect the name with a trademark. He thought of his wife (Susannah Ann née Barrett) and her favourite flower, the violet, and registered the name Violet Crumble, using a purple wrapper with a small flower logo.[citation needed] It was an instant success. Violet Crumbles are crispier in texture than Crunchie bars, with a slightly more marshmallow taste.

Violet Crumble - Wikipedia

FAQ | Violet Crumble
I found everything vegan in Australia tasted slightly sweeter

Floral notes in a chocolate bar would only improve it tho!
I think the idea is for digestion in chocolate, which is primarily a laxative, violet (in old English heartsease)is primarily for blood pressure reduction, so one would fight the other in terms of fragrance, although violet is a mucillage (it layers mucous on the inner of the body)

Yes - but floral notes in the taste, was what I meant. :)
You've got to think to think about the top notes like perfume as cocoa is a laxative it is very powerful, violet isn't as powerful, the price of that chocolate bar would mean cocoa and sugar cane are the top notes.

When I was younger I used to see ads for Apple Jacks cereal where the adults are stupid and when they try the cereal they would say "It doesn't taste like apples." But it does taste like apples, there's even little bits of dried apple stuck to the cereal. I never understood those commercials where the adults are completely dumb and useless, only the kids are smart. The adults are the ones who go to work, make money, and BUY the junk for their kids, so...

Anyway, for years I've eaten Big Turk chocolate bars and it wasn't until very long ago that I learned that the flavor they have is rose water because it's inspired by a candy called Turkish delight. Rose water is a popular flavoring in Turkey and the middle east, it's basically the equivalent of vanilla in western countries.:yum:

When I was younger I used to see ads for Apple Jacks cereal where the adults are stupid and when they try the cereal they would say "It doesn't taste like apples." But it does taste like apples, there's even little bits of dried apple stuck to the cereal. I never understood those commercials where the adults are completely dumb and useless, only the kids are smart. The adults are the ones who go to work, make money, and BUY the junk for their kids, so...

Anyway, for years I've eaten Big Turk chocolate bars and it wasn't until very long ago that I learned that the flavor they have is rose water because it's inspired by a candy called Turkish delight. Rose water is a popular flavoring in Turkey and the middle east, it's basically the equivalent of vanilla in western countries.:yum:

Turkish Delight is very tasty.

New Threads

Top Bottom