• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

At wit's end...

Aenea

Hi everybody, I could really use some advice.
I have been in a relationship for four years with my boyfriend. As per usual, the first months were bliss. Then the clouds gathered on the horizon.
Whenever things don't go his way, he runs away. Yelling and shouting, throwing and breaking (my) things, breaking off the relationship,... over very small things. I could give you thousands of examples, I would like to suffice with just two.
(1) This morning he was supposed to make my breakfast (before you jump on this one: I do the laundry, I clean, I cook, I take care of all the paperwork, I do the grocery shopping,... I think he has a pretty sweet deal.). I am a creature of habit, I always eat the same breakfast: 1 apple, half a cup of oatmeal, one cup of milk, 1 spoon of honey, 3 minutes in microwave oven. When I get to the breakfast table: no breakfast for me, his was ready. I ask if there is a problem about breakfast. "No", he says, "I will start it now. What do you want?" I ask for my usual oatmeal mix. His reaction: "I will have to ask you a lot of questions. What do you want exactly? What do I have to serve it in? How much oatmeal do you want? One apple or two? Do you still want the honey? How does the microwave oven work?" He must have asked me 50 questions on a thing that he has done at least a thousand times (did I mention I am a creature of habit?). After answering all of them, I begged him to just get my breakfast and told him all his questions where driving me crazy. After 35 minutes something appeared on the table. Somehow he forgot about the honey and he mixed chocolate paste into my oatmeal. When I remarked that I actually wanted honey and not chocolate paste, he took off again, slamming doors, shouting,...
(2) Monday evening I get dinner started and I ask him to get something from a cupboard that is actually too high for me to reach (Literally "Could you please get food item X from the cupboard?"). His answer: "I have to check my fish tank." I ask him again in the same wording and tone of voice: he says "I didn't know I had to help you". I ask him again: he says "Where is food item X?". I explain we only have one cupboard with food items and that food item I requested is in that cupboard. He gets super angry and accuses me of using a sarcastic tone of voice. I try to explain to him that all his ocmebacks come across as if he didn't want to get the food item and he is feeding me excuses. Which only made him angrier. He took off again, didn't come home during the night.
I am literally at wit's end. I feel like I am living with a teenager (without me being able to take away priviliges from that teenager).
We have tried relationship therapy. He just sits there and doesn't say a thing, except for a tearful "you are so accomplished and it makes me feel sad I don't have that level of accomplishment". In the beginning I was sympathetic to this complaint: e.g. during the remodeling of our house, we did a lot ourselves and I tried to teach him what I knew (not my first remodeling). After I explained something, he would say "I will try another way, yours doesn't seem right". After a lot of trial and mostly error, he would then ask me to fix whatever he botched. I really tried to not rub his nose in it, but he even took offense when I said "do you remember when we talked about this and I drew you a chart? Do you have that chart still?". He said I rubbed his nose in his failure and… he took of again. His "my way or the high way" attitude has cost us already a pretty sum of money (wasted materials, my things he keeps breaking and not replacing,...).
When I try to stop him from leaving (he has already tried to commit suicide three times), he gets violent, usually pushing and shoving but he sometimes slaps me in the face. I have very low blood pressure so a shock can make me faint, and I bang my head a lot...
On a final note: he has received Asperger and ADD diagnosis two years ago. He refuses to go to therapy to learn coping mechanisms. I have my doubts whether he takes his medication (he says his heart beats (not racing!) when he takes them). A lot of the pressure to mediate his condition falls on my shoulders: it is always my fault (I don't fill out his paper chart for chores (breakfast and moving the lawn, but he needs a paper chart for chores), I ask too much attention, I nag, I am sarcastic, I don't explain well enough, I am petty,...). I am so tired of all this...

shoving but he sometimes slaps me in the face.

And you're putting up with this abuse because...why? That's not ok. Why see someone who's practically casually abusing you like that? Even when he's having a meltdown, that shouldn't happen.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I could use some advice on how to handle this situation. I feel like I am on the inside and looking in on me, losing all rational perspective, letting my emotions (hurt, feels of abadonment,...) cloud any rational judgement/decision.

And you're putting up with this abuse because...why? That's not ok. Why see someone who's practically casually abusing you like that? Even when he's having a meltdown, that shouldn't happen.
Since he has 25 kilograms and 15 centimeters on me I physically hang on to him when he tries to leave. His doctor says I shouldn't try to stop him leaving and that his being violent is triggered by my restraint. But I am worried. Because of the suicide attempts.

Tbh it does sound like you're living with a very frustrated teenager. I would expect a mature adult to have learned some coping skills to avoid these sorts of unpleasant interactions and keep things smooth. :(

Since he has 25 kilograms and 15 centimeters on me I physically hang on to him when he tries to leave. His doctor says I shouldn't try to stop him leaving and that his being violent is triggered by my restraint. But I am worried. Because of the suicide attempts.
And ok, I may have a history of abuse (parents and ex-husband) but after 6 years of therapy I am able to set (healthy) boundaries.
I just don't want to responsible for his death if I let him leave.

It sounds like you're going through a really rough time. This is emotional abuse, you are feeling responsible for his well-being in a way that you shouldn't have to be. If he leaves, it's not on you - you are doing everything you can to maintain a normality (from the sounds of it) and he does not cooperate.

From the short description you have given, it almost sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder too - small things can trigger a big emotional reaction. Mixed in with autism and other things, it can be a very damaging mix both to yourself and him.

I think the thing you have to remember is that you would not be responsible if anything happened to him. It is not your fault and never will be. The only way that it could if you are actually abusing him - and you are not - far from it. He is an ADULT, capable of making his own decisions. Unfortunately, I have been in a position where someone threatened (and attempted) to harm themselves if I didn't do things just the way they wanted, but it's just a really sick and twisted way of manipulation. It's ABUSE to your mental health, it's not fair to put that on someone.

You do need to evaluate if you want this for the rest of your life. People like that don't change. Even if they change for a month or two - things will always revert back to the old ways. There is clearly something going on in his mind that he's not telling you - no one lashes out over small, insignificant things for no reason. There is something bigger going on that is being left unspoken.

I really hope you look after yourself, first and foremost. You are not responsible for him and you are not his carer - he is a grown-up, not a child.

It sounds like you're going through a really rough time. This is emotional abuse, you are feeling responsible for his well-being in a way that you shouldn't have to be. If he leaves, it's not on you - you are doing everything you can to maintain a normality (from the sounds of it) and he does not cooperate.

I do confess to shouting matches and maybe three frustrated slaps to his shoulder (he frequently breaks things, some things my godmother left me and I was so angry and devastated).

From the short description you have given, it almost sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder too - small things can trigger a big emotional reaction. Mixed in with autism and other things, it can be a very damaging mix both to yourself and him.
I brought BPD up with his doctor, who said that labels don't matter. I said that they do matter since they provide a framework for treatment (medication and therapy). The doctor first diagnosed the ADD, only when my boyfriend almost insisted it was Asperger did the doctor diagnose the Asperger. I feel very bad for saying this, but I feel like the Asperger diagnose mattered a lot to my boyfriend because of the "higher than average intelligence" label. He was never able to finish a degree (he started five different degrees in five different studies, only to abandon them after a couple of months). When I asked him why it mattered so much that he has Asperger instead of BNP or anything, he (you guessed it) got very angry. It was one of the three times he tried to commit suicide.

The only way that it could if you are actually abusing him - and you are not - far from it.
He claims my "insisting" on "all my rules" is abuse. I do like to keep a reaonably clean house, but before I can start cleaning I have to put away a whole of his stuff that just floats around the house (papers on the floor, wet towels on bathroom cabinets, food wrappings in the sink, clothing on the dining table,...). It wears me down.

People like that don't change. Even if they change for a month or two - things will always revert back to the old ways.
The "cycle" is much shorter than that. At its best, it is three weeks, at its worst it is less than 24 hours. The fact that I perceive it as a cycle is yet another indication it is BPD and not Asperger.

I really hope you look after yourself, first and foremost.
Thank you for your support, and actually reminding me I have to do just that. Where I live it is really sunny now, and I can't wear short sleeves because I have a huge bruise on my arm (he shoved me and I collided with the fridge). I am tired of the lie that I have sensitive skin and burn easily...

Thank you for letting me tell my story and making me not feel invisible or crazy or petty or like a narcissist (his latest insult).

I wish I could give you a hug. You've had a tough life and this situation isn't helping. What you've just described about yourself is normal, the routines and trying to keep things in order in the home, it's the way it should be for a healthy mind and environment. I guess if he takes offence to you having these, it's a sign that he doesn't see you as an equal. He doesn't respect that you also need to have your own things, space and ways of doing things. He doesn't see ALL of you as you are, and that's a very damaging situation to be in.

I'm sorry he's physical with you as well on top of all the emotional attacks. Would finding a domestic abuse/support group be an option? Because, when it comes down to it, this is what is happening. It's hard to put it out there like this, but, from the descriptions you have given, it sounds like an increasingly dangerous situation. He is manipulating you to believe if you leave, he will do harm to himself and it will be your fault. NO. It will not be. Please, no matter how hard it is to understand, it will NEVER be your fault. It's a narcissistic move. An abuser's signature move.
I'm worried that the physical harm he's doing, on top of destroying your possessions (in essence - trying to erase your worth and individuality) are only going to escalate. He's calling you all sorts of awful things to degrade you and make you believe that you are abusing him - when it's the other way around. Another signature move of a severely toxic individual.

Look at the facts. You have a bruise on your arm. You have shattered possessions that were very important to you. He's calling you awful names with no basis for it. He doesn't respect your routines or needs. He manipulated the doctor to give him a diagnosis (which he probably doesn't have) due to an inflated ego ("above average intelligence" -- that is not an indicator for Asperger's. It is a misconception). He just didn't want a negative label. Asperger's is one of the few socially accepted ones, it may be misunderstood, but it doesn't carry the same stigma as the others. What he hoped the diagnosis would give him is an EXCUSE to behave irrationally. ... but there is no excuse here. He is just a maladjusted human with something far more wrong with him than just autism.

I think all of us here would agree, that trying to leave and cut him off (or the cycle will continue in perpetuity, because he sees you as his possession) is probably the only thing you can really do. I know you'd feel guilty if something happened to him, but... the way it is escalating, you may end up with far worse than a bruise one day... :(

I highly agree with Monachopia; Leave him. Immediately. This is a HIGHLY abusive relationship. You should have left the moment this stuff happened. Staying with him despite all this because of how strongly you feel about him (and this goes for ANYONE in your position), is foolish.

am able to set (healthy) boundaries.
I just don't want to responsible for his death if I let him leave

Those two statements are contradictory.

You are not responsible for his life or death.

A healthy boundary is knowing that and acting accordingly.

Put your plans to leave in place,don't tell him till after.

Leaving is complicated. He breaks up the relationship, packs his stuff, leaves, and comes back some hours later (next day at the latest). Unpacking, acting as if nothing happened. I repeatedly told him that since he broke it up, resuming normalcy is not "automatic", there should be apologies, getting back together,... but he just ignores me on that point (he just threatens to leave again - one time I couldn't keep my big mouth shut and said "you can't break up when you're not together").
Obviously he has a key to "our" house (his name is on the deed (25% ownership) but I advanced him his share of the house, I have that in writing). But since he is part legal owner, I cannot shut him out, and I refuse to leave my property and my pets.
I feel so stupid writing this… ten years ago I was working for minimum wages, putting myself through law school. I have done good for myself, worked very hard (materially but also spirituallly). When you read about this online, you want to shout to the poster "LEAVE! RUN!". But when the exact same situation happens to yourself, you fail to see it on time.

As for the support group: I am afraid they will tell me he is a great guy and I am in the wrong/being difficult. His two psychiatrists and the suicide team in the hospital all side with him and tell me (and him) I am the problem, because I cannot let things go. When I asked if they meant I should just give up and walk away, they said I shouldn't sweat the small things and choose my moments to address issues more carefully...
I have told them I felt they transferred (too much) responsability on me, answer was "you are living with him".

I tried to talk to his parents, they say I make it all up and that they don't recognize their son in what I tell them. I feel like Cassandra...

Leaving is complicated. He breaks up the relationship, packs his stuff, leaves, and comes back some hours later (next day at the latest). Unpacking, acting as if nothing happened. I repeatedly told him that since he broke it up, resuming normalcy is not "automatic", there should be apologies, getting back together,... but he just ignores me on that point (he just threatens to leave again - one time I couldn't keep my big mouth shut and said "you can't break up when you're not together").
Obviously he has a key to "our" house (his name is on the deed (25% ownership) but I advanced him his share of the house, I have that in writing). But since he is part legal owner, I cannot shut him out, and I refuse to leave my property and my pets.
I feel so stupid writing this… ten years ago I was working for minimum wages, putting myself through law school. I have done good for myself, worked very hard (materially but also spirituallly). When you read about this online, you want to shout to the poster "LEAVE! RUN!". But when the exact same situation happens to yourself, you fail to see it on time.

As for the support group: I am afraid they will tell me he is a great guy and I am in the wrong/being difficult. His two psychiatrists and the suicide team in the hospital all side with him and tell me (and him) I am the problem, because I cannot let things go. When I asked if they meant I should just give up and walk away, they said I shouldn't sweat the small things and choose my moments to address issues more carefully...
I have told them I felt they transferred (too much) responsability on me, answer was "you are living with him".

I tried to talk to his parents, they say I make it all up and that they don't recognize their son in what I tell them. I feel like Cassandra...

Seems like there are a whole lot of other people you're going to instead of making choices for yourself.

You need to find other people for advice,work out what you want and plan it in secret.

Stop talking to people who help him beat you/dominate you

Seems like there are a whole lot of other people you're going to instead of making choices for yourself.

You need to find other people for advice,work out what you want and plan it in secret.

Stop talking to people who help him beat you/dominate you
Dear Fridgemagnetman, if you have a great idea on how to legally shut him out, I would very much like to hear it.
Like I said, I refuse to leave my property and my pets. Call me stubborn, while I may have no responsibility towards him, I do have a responsibility to my dogs.

Dear Fridgemagnetman, if you have a great idea on how to legally shut him out, I would very much like to hear it.
Like I said, I refuse to leave my property and my pets. Call me stubborn, while I may have no responsibility towards him, I do have a responsibility to my dogs.

Why not take legal advice?
First time is free.

Do you think you're victimising yourself?
Asking people on his side isn't helping you.
Regardless of the dogs.

Anyway,good luck.

Why not take legal advice?
First time is free.

Do you think you're victimising yourself?
Asking people on his side isn't helping you.
Regardless of the dogs.

Anyway,good luck.
I did take legal advice (not only my own) from two separate lawyers. He has the right to be in his property. I cannot legally shut him out unless he is officially labelled a threat. Since his three doctors and his family and friends say I am the problem, filing a legal claim may very well backfire on me, forcing me to leave my property and dogs behind.

I am not victimising myself. I came to this forum to hopefully find a way out of this (I admit self-imposed) mess. To gather people to my side, in your terms. I thought that maybe I did not see the solution.
If the only solution is that one of us has to leave the house, I refuse to and I cannot force him.

Like Monachopia said: I will have to help myself and (try to) put myself first. Next time he leaves I'll try not to intervene. See if he makes good on his word.

Where do people find all these crazy folks to date? I guess the junkies on the street that are talking to themselves have girlfriends too?

And you never share property, with anyone. That's your main issue here. Else change the locks or just move away. But since he owns a part you are stuck with him. Even if he goes to jail he still owns the property.

I'd go to a lawyer that is well-versed in property and see if he can find a way where you can sell the place. This is complicated and most likely beyond the capabilities of anyone on the forum.

Not sure why you would have an issue with him killing himself (I doubt it though, people that ruin your life never kill themselves), it would fix all your problems.

I did take legal advice (not only my own) from two separate lawyers. He has the right to be in his property. I cannot legally shut him out unless he is officially labelled a threat. Since his three doctors and his family and friends say I am the problem, filing a legal claim may very well backfire on me, forcing me to leave my property and dogs behind.

I am not victimising myself. I came to this forum to hopefully find a way out of this (I admit self-imposed) mess. To gather people to my side, in your terms. I thought that maybe I did not see the solution.
If the only solution is that one of us has to leave the house, I refuse to and I cannot force him.

Like Monachopia said: I will have to help myself and (try to) put myself first. Next time he leaves I'll try not to intervene. See if he makes good on his word.

Why can't you take the dogs?

How much is the 25% share worth?

(As you said you were doing well. Did you ask the lawyer about purchasing the share?/Selling the share?)

I'm not sure where you are (hence look up the laws of uninformed recording) - but I'd start gathering evidence. Record as much as you can of conversations. Maybe install a secret camera - if you feel you can get away with doing something like that without him finding it. Don't instigate things for recording, but, act as you would normally. Try not to hit him yourself (you mentioned a shoulder slap) - that sort of behaviour isn't good in either direction.
That at the very least will give you the ammunition you need to show people what the situation is, in its entirety rather than hearing it from him alone.

I understand "just leaving" isn't as simple as all that. There is a lot of baggage and technicalities. I wouldn't want you to leave your pets and what is rightfully yours behind. Start keeping a log. Take photos. Start recording. And endure for now, until you can act on it all in an informed and legal manner that no one can deny.

Most importantly - stay safe.

New Threads

Top Bottom