• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Astronomy

jwjones87

I am interested in learning more about astronomy. Does anyone know where I can learn more online, or any good android apps I can look at?

Thanks!

Oh ya, almost forgot this one too....this is a great program to dl, itll show you what the night sky will look like on a given date, past, present, and future Stellarium

Oh ya, almost forgot this one too....this is a great program to dl, itll show you what the night sky will look like on a given date, past, present, and future Stellarium

I also recommend Stellarium. For one it is open source (and therefore better). It is also incredibly well done and just straight up useful.

Celestia is also another supposedly good open source piece of astronomy software, but I haven't used it.

I cannot speak for Android, but NASA's iOS apps are excellent. And of course, there are a zillion blogs you could follow: Universe Today, Bad Astronomy, Preposterous Universe (the last is more pure physics than astronomy per se, but Sean Carroll is an excellent writer). And of course those also link to other great sources...

I will second the Stellarium recommendations, but if you want to spend a few bucks, I much prefer SkySafari.

I'm not sure what you are quite looking for, but if you are interested in the latest astronomical research, news and scientific advances, maybe even apps- check out; sciencedaily.com, physicscentral.com, or gemini.edu (Gemini Observatory). I am an avid fan of Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL of NASA) but I have a crush on Cassini so I am biased ;) Don't forget to wave at Saturn on July 19th Cassini Solstice Mission: Wave at Saturn hee hee

haha Cassini -the best long distant relationship an aspie could have ;) I am hanging for the Titan flyby (1 Day 10 hrs 50 mins 27 secs), although to be perfectly honest I am totally in love with Enceladus. Such a beauty.

Anybody heard of the possibility of biology one one of Jupiter's moons, Europa? Apparently there is an ocean there that most likely has regular sea salt in it and could sustain life.

Anybody heard of the possibility of biology one one of Jupiter's moons, Europa? Apparently there is an ocean there that most likely has regular sea salt in it and could sustain life.

Yes! I do not know if there are any organic molecules there that could give rise to life--perhaps nobody does--but it is exciting to think at all of an ocean of liquid water on another body in our solar system.

it would be cool if there was not life there, to see if we could plant some life there, and start the evolutionary process there.... That would be awesome!

i'm sure that we already have some hypothermophillic Bacteria and Archea on earth which could survive quite happily in that kind of environment, After all they've found some bacteria which survive perfectly happily in solid sheets of ice.. Forgive the pun, but i think that's kinda cool.

i'm sure that we already have some hypothermophillic Bacteria and Archea on earth which could survive quite happily in that kind of environment, After all they've found some bacteria which survive perfectly happily in solid sheets of ice.. Forgive the pun, but i think that's kinda cool.

I do not know all that much about biology, but extremophiles are pretty...well, badass. I usually hear about them in the context of exobiology, and it is awesome to think that we are finding that life can, in fact, exist in environments that we once thought were completely hostile.

When I look at all the advancements we have made in the last few decades, in the fields of biology, astronomy, cosmology, particle physics; and every time I switch on one of my science podcasts or open up my favorite science blogs...My mind is blown, and I realize that I live in an incredibly exciting age.

It is all just incredible. I really want a good telescope to see planets and other objects. Does anybody know where to look for more info on the types of telescopes and what does what? Also, feel free to post astronomy news and topics in here. I love it!

If we discovered life there, that would be freaking awesome. Of course, due to the large differences in climate with respect to earth, life there would develop a lot differently.

If we discovered life there, that would be freaking awesome. Of course, due to the large differences in climate with respect to earth, life there would develop a lot differently.

Yea that would be awesome! I saw a show a little ways back about how they would like to be able to bore holes into the thick ice covering Europa to get down into the ocean and see what is going on in there. Sounds like a near impossibility at the moment I guess due to the massive amount of equipment needed but I am very intrigued by the idea. My hesitancy is in contaminating the oceans before we've had a good chance to sample them. I get the feeling that somewhere else within our solar system there is life, even if just microbial.

Yea that would be awesome! I saw a show a little ways back about how they would like to be able to bore holes into the thick ice covering Europa to get down into the ocean and see what is going on in there. Sounds like a near impossibility at the moment I guess due to the massive amount of equipment needed but I am very intrigued by the idea. My hesitancy is in contaminating the oceans before we've had a good chance to sample them. I get the feeling that somewhere else within our solar system there is life, even if just microbial.

I personally only think that getting a device to bore holes in Europa is only really impossible due to science projects getting screwed in US budgets. It would be awesome to see that happen though.

New Threads

Top Bottom