• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies face Discrimination in New Zealand when jobseeking

Mr_Alex

If anyone wants to know being unemployed for over 6 years while jobhunting or jobseeking is no surprise for a Aspie like myself,in New Zealand in fact we are also classed as disabled,most of us are left on Government welfare or are made to fend for ourselves:

Disabled People Discriminated Against In Employment | Scoop News

Disabled People Discriminated Against In Employment
Tuesday, 13 August 2013, 9:33 am
Press Release: CCS Disability Action

13 August 2013

Disabled People Discriminated Against In Employment

One of New Zealand’s leading disability services provider today urged the Government to help end the discrimination of disabled people in employment.
CCS Disability Action said there was clear evidence of discrimination against disabled people in access to employment.

Despite this New Zealand still does not collect quarterly data on the unemployment rate amongst disabled people, unlike the United Kingdom and the United States.

David Matthews, CCS Disability Action Chief Executive, said: “In a survey of employers last year, 78 per cent said they believed disabled people were discriminated against in employment.

“Disabled people are overrepresented on benefits and in unemployment. In 2011, 35 per cent of people on a main benefit claimed a disability allowance. Only 45 per cent of disabled people were in the labour force compared to 77 per cent of people without disabilities.”

He added: “Without accurate data, how do we know whether we are actually addressing the issue? When the government starts collecting regular data, I will know it is serious.”
Disability discrimination is also the most common employment complaint received by the Human Rights Commission, said Mr Matthews.

“The evidence is there and this is an issue that affects us all. When disabled people are shut out from employment, we all lose. Employment can not only make a real difference to an individual’s life, but is also key to our prosperity as a society. Discriminating against a whole group of our society, really hurts our job market.

Mr Matthews said that addressing the discrimination was a complicated issue and required the serious attention of the Government and the country.

“In the same survey of employers, nearly all employers believed that disabled people deserved a fair go and that their low rate of employment was an issue.

“These positive attitudes, however, seemed to have no effect on their willingness to hire disabled employees. This is far deeper than just an awareness issue. People also need accessible transport and workplaces. Support services need to flexible enough to support someone at work. Employers need to be willing to really give disabled job candidates a fair go. There are no quick fixes.”

ENDS

I thought this happens in my home country. If this happens to a developed country like New Zealand, it gives me real resolve to be more able so that I could possibly give my employers much more value than my 'perceived costs'. Unfortunately, many of us can't be really 'able' and we really need more support.

While I wouldn't argue if it's even fair to discriminate against anyone for whatever reason, I think from an employers point of view it would make much more sense.

The problem with employment, and even more nowadays, is that employers don't want to run any risk and apparently any form of not being "normal" (as in, differing from the majority) is being perceived as a risk. Yes, we as aspies now that everyone can be a risk, but the moment you're already having it on file, it already seems like a red flag.

It's articles like this that make me wonder, when a group of people who feel they're being excluded or discriminated against, is if they can reassure potential employers that they can do the job perfectly without extra accomodation. I guess that goes with the question "how much do you suffer from your AS?". If you can function in a job fine, just like everyone else, then yes.. it's unfair. The moment you reach out and need a diagnosis and medication and/or treatment, you pretty much know you're not perfectly fine.

And I'm not discrediting anyone who takes meds... take what you need and what makes you feel better by all means. Along this one can argue how many people globally are "fine" since a lot of people are on some kind of drug either for anxiety, sleeping, migraines and the list goes on.

The worry I have about an article like this however is; the fact that it's quite out in the open that people with disabilities are being perceived as incompetent employees and the government (and not neccesarily just the one in New Zealand) does not find a suitable course of action, that's what bothers me. It's pretty much the lame excuse I've heard over and over "it must be hard to live your life, but we can't help you because it's a financial matter". Right now, I think were at the pinnacle of society (and I say this with a smirk of disdain) and I doubt it will get much better than this... I've seen support plans get cancelled because of financial matters (I've seen it go downhill at an increasing rate). And people wonder why I'm pessimistic about my future, but also the future in general.

I've got big problems in this area. I haven't posted much about it actually as I guess I try to keep my mind occupied with positive goals rather than allow society to drag me down. However, what happens to me at work is definite discrimination. I am effectively barred from working in certain areas on certain days as there's a woman in management who can't stand me after I stood up to her. This was many weeks ago when she tried to stop me taking the afternoon break I was allowed and I told her I was going anyway. Since then, little by little, I seem to have acquired an undeserved bad reputation a bit like when you throw a stone in a pool and the splash makes ripples that spread outwards. At this moment in time, it also seems to me a lot of former friends have turned against me at work because they fear negative feedback brought on themselves by associating with me. Really all of this has the potential to lead to one huge outburst of temper whch has been known to happen when I'm pushed around too much but so far I've done my utmost to learn to control myself as having a self-diagnosis helps me figure it out. Plus, there are a few people there who do like me so I remind myself to keep it all in perspective.
I'm really not sure how it will resolve itself. It seems clear my days there are numbered and I'm only a supply worker so not much point raising discrimination issues. Sad to say, though, the kind of attitude I've seen there makes me sick and I'm just glad I'm above that kind of thing. Sometimes I even wonder if such behaviour just masks an inferiority complex on their part.
One thing that does puzzle me, though, is how the heck they know I'm different. I never figured my aspergers symptoms are as obvious as I make eye contact and am talkative but somehow they figure it out.

I thought this happens in my home country. If this happens to a developed country like New Zealand, it gives me real resolve to be more able so that I could possibly give my employers much more value than my 'perceived costs'. Unfortunately, many of us can't be really 'able' and we really need more support.

What I have noticed with Hong Kong is that they do not look down on Aspies,in fact Hong Kong under the leadership of C Y Leung and Donald Tsang and Tung Chee Hwa have passed law after law that allow Aspies to integrate into Hong Kong Society and they do not get look down on

I wish more places are as enlightened as Hong Kong. I have never heard complaints from Hong Konger or Japanese Aspies that they get looked down, unlike what I experienced in Singapore. And Mr Alex may say, New Zealand.

Correct me if I am wrong.

There are also laws in Canada and Japan that protect Aspies as well,they fall under the Hikikomori the category

Singapore: We worry about PhDs doing O Level jobs trying to 'control' fellow Singaporeans with autism. (It sort of happened already)
NZ: We worry about capable, talented Aspies not even having a fair go in contributing their talents in their society, much less leading fellow Aspies.

What's worse?

I think of the problems in New Zealand is getting help. No one seams to reconize the symptoms to start off. I have been mostly unemployed for 30 to 40 years and in that time no one picked up on it. Even with me being with job placement agencies that were suppose to help the disabled. I was only diagnosed because I was trying to sort out my breathing issues, and was going in with an open mind and taking any opportunity of help.

The other problem is if you do not know where to ask for help, where can you get help?

Warwick,I get my help from Autism NZ but then when you want to get a job,its simply must be disclosed,there is a group I am in that has a lot of Aspie sufferers,the common complaint is seems that they can't get a job

Mr_Alex Were you at the last drop in meeting on Tuesday? I have been to the last two meetings, laughingowl also goes to them as well.

Oen of the things I have felt is like Iwas falling through the cracks as to getting help.

Mr_Alex: I have sent you a P.M.

I go to the Autism N.Z drop in group meetings in Auckland. I am in contact with the Auckland coordinator.

New Threads

Top Bottom