• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies, do you work?

I work in an industrial/shop setting in the recycling industry, I've work there for eight years, the last few months the average work week is 48 to 50 hours, I feel capable of those hours but it can get tiring, especially in warm summer weather, but anyone can get tired, not just Aspies...

I have always either worked or gone to school since I left high school with only brief periods of unemployment and I'm now 45, despite some college training I've never settled into a specific "career" as such unlike many people I know, I've always had some thoughts but don't have enough money to go back to college or university at this point...

I do have my photography hobby/obsession but am nowhere near making it my primary income, and I'm not even sure I want to either...

I've worked pretty much the last 10 years straight, but I was let go recently ( not fired) and yet I feel it's my crappy demeanor when being micromanage that has led to my downfall . I'd probably do best owning my own company or with a partner, equal partnership.

I've worked pretty much the last 10 years straight, but I was let go recently ( not fired) and yet I feel it's my crappy demeanor when being micromanage that has led to my downfall . I'd probably do best owning my own company or with a partner, equal partnership.

I am still working at 72 and for the last ten years I have been self-employed. The only regret that I have about becoming self-employed is that I didn't do it years earlier. It is a good way to go for a Aspie. You just have to be able to do something that people want done and that covers a lot of ground. Watch your finances and keep your customers happy. It is tough at first, but work hard & smart and you will be OK.

I am an IT branch chief at a government agency. Very difficult for me due to the breadth of responsibilities. I’m wired for narrow focus deep diving skills like programming. Looking forward to retirement. I’m tired.

I work around 40-50 hours a week as an in house lawyer in a niche field. I have my own office in an old heritage-listed building that is near silent during working hours. I work in procedural law, so no court appearances or litigation, just the day to day work of drafting and reviewing legal documents and occasionally providing ad hoc legal advice to my company. I found some of the face to face work difficult but in general the work suits me down to the ground. My colleagues are supportive and my direct manager is very aware and open to working with ND people, so it makes for a very pleasant working environment and has plenty of structure.

Yes, when I can find work.

I would love to work if it weren't for the people. In the past, my favorite jobs were quasi solitary manual labor jobs where I worked long hours doing physical work amongst other people but not really interacting with them much.

I work best in environments where I'm largely autonomous and self-directed, can set my own schedule according to the demands of the job, can set my own standards and follow my own timeline as long as it works and produces results. I don't work well in environments where I'm constantly required to interact with other people, where I'm required to be "fake", in environments where i'm micromanaged, in highly political environments, in hostile or competitive environments, and/or in environments where direct communication isn't tolerated.

My ideal job would be a one-man show like a farmer's market or something or a very small restaurant.

I previously worked as a medical doctor in a hospital, which meant 60-hour work weeks and constant chaos and high-stress work environment. Loved the work, hated the work conditions, so I quit after six months.
I now work for a government organization, still as a medical doctor, but no longer doing curative patient care. I perform lengthy assessments of people on sickness/disability benefits to establish how their sickness influences their life and their ability to work, and if possible I help direct them towards a fitting job. It’s still a full-time job, but this one comes with an office, a 40-hour work week and regular hours.

I've done several years of voluntary work but never had a paid job, in 1997 I came close to getting a full time 40 hours a week gig working at Boots in Meadowhall, but I only lasted a month, got fired for swearing on the shop floor (it weren't my fault, they had me putting security tags on baby clothes, they're seriously sharp and due to dexterity issues I kept stabbing myself!)

I'm a picker at Amazon (I pick items, put them in bins, and send them out on a conveyor). Usually it's four 10 hour days. I get a three day weekend. I don't have to talk to people, either. Also, at our building overtime only happens during Prime week, and in December, so that's not too difficult. I've been working for almost two years now. :)

I won't say I like working at Amazon necessarily, but it's a job, and I like having a job. And I like having a three day weekend.

Yes I work a normal 40hr/week job. I have to: I'm completely on my own. Plus I like having money to buy stuff & to support my 2 kids (which I do completely on my own for the most part!). As much as I would love to win the lottery & only leave the house when I actually want to, that is but a dream & not a reality...

New Threads

Top Bottom