• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and lying

I learned to lie from my mother. She still lies. I gave it up because it made me too uncomfortable and I don't want to have to remember stories that I have made up. It is easier not to tell lies. I don't tell people they look great when they don't; I don't say food is wonderful if it isn't; I don't pretend to be happy if I am not. It makes me sweaty to have to talk to people who are phony.

My mother's idea of how to manage a simple social situation: for instance, if she encounters the person she asked for a recipe, she says that she has made it and how wonderful it was. This happens and in fact, she had not made the stuff, didn't intend to because she thought it was gross, and had asked for the recipe to give it to a homeless shelter's kitchen. I couldn't see the point of any of this.

I realized that language was for the purpose of communication and that is what I try to do with it. I know that non-truth can be communicated, but that is not what I want to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom