• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies And Knowledge

GHA

I find Aspies very knowledgable, particularly in their area of interest. However, some of them acquire substantial knowledge in other areas also. Why is it so? That some Aspies feel that they don't have enough knowledge? Is it because they are unsure of themselves.........

Actually anyone with an obsession disorder will be very knowledgeable in their field of interest, it's just that obsession is one of the common Autistic traits.

As to why we know a great deal of generalized information and knowledge, it is due entire to our lack of socializing. Since socializing takes up between 1/3 to 3/5 of the average lifetime. and we pretty much don't socialize if we can help it. So all that time is invested into self discovery and information gathering.

Because we don't only know what we know, but also how much of certain topics we won't.

For me it'snot about being unsure about myself or my abilities, but I simply don't see the point in taking part in conversation I know only so much about. Sometimes talking isn't the most important part of conversation. I could probably have a good time discussing about some issue of that kind, but it's merely senseless in means of settling to meaningful factual conclusion.

Chit chat is boring but exchanging information can be very stimulating. Back in the 50s I read the following, "Education is the peg on which the poor man hangs his pride." I have tried for years to identify the source without success. These twelve words have had a great influence on my life. Learn something, then say something useful and interesting. Too bad so many NTs would prefer to chit chat. Boring!

What is, does not matter. How we perceive it does. We change and withdraw our facts all the time. The world is flat, We have to bleed a sick person to let the sickness out, cigarettes are not harmful, eggs are bad for you, and on and on. We don't know anything more than what is right in front of us at the moment. And some of us don't even do well with that.
It is useful to talk about our feelings and our perceptions because it helps us to understand them better. After a bad incident, emergency personnel do what is called a debriefing. Everyone that is involved gets together and talks about what happened and how they felt about it. It has been discovered that this helps to understand things better and greatly reduces the stress these people feel. It is kind of the same thing in life. We have different experiences, it is now appropriate to process them correctly so that they are useful. Often times it is useful or necessary for people to talk things over.

i love knowledge you can never stop learning [ also when getting told to be quite all the time in the end you dont but you have all this information and knowledge but no one listens ]

as a child growing up and teenage years thats what i had to put up withso i put information in my files in my brain

Chit chat is boring but exchanging information can be very stimulating.

This! It does have so much to do with my thought over this issue. Should exchange of data be considered as an absolute value? Something to reach itself, even that the data involved might be a little obsolete: outdated or even made up by some "because rule a applies, this might be c" theorem. By my perception discussion can quickly change to chit chat if there ain't any quality screening. In academia there are qualified parties to watch these, but in real life situation every individual will have to watch their own tong. In my opinion it's good that many of us are capable to estimate where our stable knowledge loses its might.

For what I understand there are several other people too that do not wish to discuss if there is a risk, it doesn't even need to be extremely great one, to learn falsified facts and realize that ones carefully placed argument loses its meaning because of others might not take the issue for real in the same manner as that mentioned one. But of course there's never any guarantee of being only right, and it could be stated that leading that way didn't prove progression. I agree,and it can also feel refreshing to be wrong at times. In my point of view it's also about focusing ones energies in discussions that do matter. For some that means company that feels trustworthy according to their imput, so some that could mean a group in where it's safe to be wrong and not get teased about it.

What is, does not matter. How we perceive it does. We change and withdraw our facts all the time. The world is flat, We have to bleed a sick person to let the sickness out, cigarettes are not harmful, eggs are bad for you, and on and on. We don't know anything more than what is right in front of us at the moment. And some of us don't even do well with that.
It is useful to talk about our feelings and our perceptions because it helps us to understand them better. After a bad incident, emergency personnel do what is called a debriefing. Everyone that is involved gets together and talks about what happened and how they felt about it. It has been discovered that this helps to understand things better and greatly reduces the stress these people feel. It is kind of the same thing in life. We have different experiences, it is now appropriate to process them correctly so that they are useful. Often times it is useful or necessary for people to talk things over.

Perhaps it is better to think of the Autistic mind as a database that is constantly patching and updating itself as new information is made available.

NTs chit chat is boring for Aspies as its illogical, without any conclusion, skipping from one subject to another, without having fully discussed a subject. This leads to unnecessary information, which over loads Aspies. Such chit chat is mostly unproductive. Although, this has become a social norm, but believe me, Aspies are not missing out much. NTs chit chat is generally controlled by those in a group who have the art of turning the conversation to their area of interest, so that they can contribute and control the conversation. Nobody is know all in this world. Socializing is only an art.

Aspies have great imagination.Once they develop command on a subject in their area of interest, they come up with the genius. Their imagination leads to a thought process, which begins the evolution of an idea. When I see all great people with AS, the only common thing that I see is IMAGINATION!!!! A vision bigger than NTs.

There is something that is as much of a problem as wrong information, and that is partial information. Either one prevents an accurate outcome. And one could argue that since we never have all of the information but are only progressing in knowledge, that the importance of our knowledge is limited. It is also the human thought and dream without knowledge, that gave us knowledge. Discussion leads to thoughts and thoughts lead to ideas which go on to become knowledge and so dialog or chit chat are, in all fairness, as big a part of knowledge as the discovery and documentation itself. Not that this is the case with all, but with many.
I would like to include that the one thing I would wish for from people that are considered to be "NT's", is that they treat us with mutual respect. I believe that is difficult for many because we see things so differently. I also believe this is a human characteristic, not an NT characteristic. If I ask for mutual respect, then I must give my part as well, even though they think differently.
This is an idea only, and is presented in a polite manner to positively contribute to the discussion at hand.

Last edited:
1) Knowledge in several areas & asking why we do that?

Answer-curiosity

2) Is a gatherer of information unsure of themselves per gathering enough information?

Answer-nope see the above...

I find Aspies very knowledgable, particularly in their area of interest. However, some of them acquire substantial knowledge in other areas also. Why is it so? That some Aspies feel that they don't have enough knowledge?

Is it because they are unsure of themselves.........

New Threads

Top Bottom