• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and driving lessons?

There is no reason why you can't learn how to drive.

Honestly I hate driving and wish I had a good train system or subway to take.

As long as your vision is good and you have decent reaction timing, there is no reason why you can't drive safely.

Though driving might trigger anxiety issues, like it does in me (that's mainly due to all the traffic for me).

There is no reason why you can't learn how to drive.

As long as your vision is good and you have decent reaction timing, there is no reason why you can't drive safely.

That is just an opinion. The simple fact is that there are legal health related restrictions that can be placed on driving within the UK. I directly quoted the UK government's restrictions that apply to ASD and driving, in an earlier post on this thread. Essentially if your ASD has an adverse effect on your ability to drive you must notify the DVLA. Once you have notified them they will assess the situation and they can refuse to issue you with a licence or place restrictions on an existing licence. They do not do this lightly. The operative words are "if your ASD has an adverse effect on your ability to drive." If your ASD does not interfere with your ability to drive then you are not even required to inform the DVLA that you have ASD. As the government point out, you can ask your doctor for advice on whether your ASD is likely to present problems in respect of driving or not. If your ASD does adversely effect your ability to drive then in the interests of safety, both for yourself and other road users, restrictions can be imposed. This is not some sort of random discrimination against people with ASD, the restrictions are only imposed when it would otherwise be unsafe to allow someone to drive. I have autism and there are no restrictions on my driving licence, because my autism does not in any way interfere with my ability to drive safely. I was told not to drive for one month, following an angioplasty operation. After one month had elapsed my licence was no longer restricted. The OP has been refused a licence on medical grounds, the reasons given was anger management issues. The only reason that the DVLA knew he had anger management issues is because he must have informed them. Once he did inform them it was perfectly understandable and predictable that, in the interests of safety, they would impose restrictions.

Last edited:
I forgot how absurdly the U.K. Is when it comes to restricting human rights.

Here in the U.S., we have very little restrictions on licenses.

Normally it's only the blind and thoses who lack the reaction time from getting licenses.

Judges do have the power to restrict licenses, if you somehow get in trouble while driving. though you have to be charged first and brought before the judge.

Even Thoses with Anger Management issues can get licenses, until they break the law.
Getting car insurance is much harder!

How is preventing someone, who is medically unfit to drive and a danger to other road users and themselves, an absurd restriction of human rights? They're actually protecting the human rights of other road users by preventing a dangerous driver from accessing a vehicle. The DVLA don't restrict licences willy nilly, they only do it when there is a clear medical reason. All the OP needs to do is to contact his doctor and if his doctor is of the opinion that his ASD would not adversely interfere with his ability to drive safely there's no reason why he wouldn't be able to get a licence. However if his doctor is of the opinion that he's unsafe to drive then it's quite right for the DVLA not to issue him with a licence to drive a potentially lethal wheeled chuck of metal at speed on public roads.

but was refused because they said due to my disabilities I wouldn't be able to safely control a car, this was for a manual, and with my tendency to get mad easily, I'd be a candidate for "road rage"! I didn't agree with any of it
I'm from the UK and I've never heard that before. Weird o_O

I think there are many aspies who are successful with manuel, but I am not one of them!

I'm definitely successful with one, couldn't do with an automatic, they're so boring!!

I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. But yeah...learning my first stick shift wasn't a cakewalk either. :eek:

Last edited:
NB: What follows, is not, repeat not, intended to be amusing in any way whatsoever. Please do not LOL in any replies.

I can't remember how many lessons I had - I'd long lost count - only that I'd had four different instructors and two failed attempts before I passed at the age of 19. This was before the theory test was introduced.

My first instructor (who was assigned to me for no better reason than that he'd taught my brother) made me a nervous wreck. A typical blast from him would be "Didn't you know you were supposed to change down a gear before turning?" which put me on the spot. If I said "Yes" he'd yell "Then why the hell didn't you?"; if I said "No" he'd yell "Why the hell didn't you know?" On the 30th lesson my mum sat in the back of the car (at the instructor's request) and realised that a change would do me good, so we used the excuse of wanting a female instructor. So I switched, but eventually instructor #2 had to give up driving because of a hysterectomy so I was moved to the man who is now her husband. I didn't take the test until over a year after starting lessons, and despite my instructor opting for the Barnet test route because it was easier than Hendon which was the nearest, I failed. I didn't resume lessons until my second term at St Andrews uni, where I took the test twice on the Cupar route.

Unfortunately even after I passed I continued to remain nervous behind the wheel. Things were made even worse at my first graduate job, when I had a minor accident driving one of the company's pool cars. I feel nervous just writing about this here, because I soon learnt that other people found this inexplicably funny - I guess a lot of humour relies on schadenfreude. There seems to be this belief that once you have passed the test you should feel comfortable driving any model of car, yet I seem to be the exception.

I've never had my own car. In Exeter (where I lived for the longest) I'm not sure where I would have parked one. It would have been more of an advantage when I worked in Skipton, as the public-transport route to the out-of-town business park was at best tiresome, at worst nightmarish (I'm referring specifically to crossing the A59 on a dark November evening and then finding that the bus drivers couldn't see me to stop). But as so often in life, I hesitated, and when I lost the job after five months there didn't seem any point in buying a car.

But how do you overcome driving nerves if you don't own a car? Someone once suggested the advanced driving course, but when I contacted the Exeter branch of the IAM I found they expected you to have your own car, otherwise I guess it would be like going for a piano exam without an instrument to practise on. I was further confused when I learnt that RoSPA also does an advanced driving test - which is better?

In 2009 I did Pass Plus in Exeter, and earned praise from my parents when I next drove their car along a stretch of the M6. Alas, the same motorway has proved my undoing - in April 2012 as I was driving to the Lake District with my dad in the passenger seat I failed to slow down soon enough when I pulled off at junction 36 and hit the crash barrier on the roundabout. Thanks to the airbags we survived: me with bruising to the knee and clavicle, my poor dad with extensive bruising to the ribcage and hips, although not enough to need hospital treatment. I was charged with driving without due care and attention, but avoided getting six points on my licence by doing a police-endorsed driving course. In reality the "course" was a one-day workshop comprising both classroom sessions and driving. The latter was a disaster for me - as soon as I got into the driving seat and saw the word "airbag" I panicked. It was as if I were 20 years younger, meaning in a bad way - I felt more nervous than I'd felt since I was a learner driver, so much so that I could barely sense where the pedals were. I hadn't told the organisers (AA) that I had Asperger's - would it have made any difference if I had?

And another thing - I don't know whether a bike accident I'd had in November 2011 had been a contributory factor. In that case I braked too sharply, whereas on the M6 slip road it was the reverse scenario. I didn't attempt to ride a bicycle again until nine months after the accident - and I was such a bundle of nerves it took me several failed attempts just to push off and I got scared every time I applied the brakes.

I have been driving for about 8 years now. Starting a little later than my peers. I drive an automatic car. I feel like a manual would be too tricky for me. Where I live the traffic is not that busy so I can handle it OK. However I would not like to drive in the big city. That sounds like a nightmare.

I've been driving now for 43 years. Dad was the first to try to teach me to drive. It always turned into a shouting match, especially when I his car into a ditch. He never let me drive that car ever again. My maternal grandmother taught me how to drive, since Dad had zero patience with me, even up to the day he died, 30 years ago.

Nowadays, I detest driving, especially the drunk I have to haul around to where ever he needs to go. He raises hell constantly for being too slow (damnit, I'm doing the limit. It's MY car, and the last thing I need is my housemate, who's A PA State Trooper, pulling me over because jackass is screaming in my ear to hurry the f!ck up and catch up with the car 10 car lengths in front of me and ride that car's bumper. If I don't drive exactly the way he wants me to drive, here comes the verbal abuse. I'm ready to take an oak 2x4 across his head, since he's been triggering my panic attacks again. When I tell him stop triggering me, I get blamed again for having those attacks, since, in his puny mind, PTSD is a bullsh!t diagnosis, and those attacks are signs of the devil and lack of faith in God. Any wonder I want to move as far away as possible from here?

New Threads

Top Bottom