• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and driving lessons?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

A few years back after I'd been diagnosed, I applied to the DVLA for a Provisional license to have driving lessons, but was refused because they said due to my disabilities I wouldn't be able to safely control a car, this was for a manual, and with my tendency to get mad easily, I'd be a candidate for "road rage"! I didn't agree with any of it but it would've been too much hassle to contest the decision, we would've had to go to Court and everything.

Anyway, about 13 years have passed since then, would it be worth applying again with a view to having Automatic lessons?

Probably a non starter though because even if by some bizarre miracle I passed a test in an Automatic, I don't get high enough benefits to get a Motability car.

So anyway, has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited:
Topic.

A few years back after I'd been diagnosed, I applied to the DVLA for a Provisional license to have driving lessons, but was refused because they said due to my disabilities I wouldn't be able to ssafely control a car, this was for a manual, and with my tendency to get mad easily, I'd be a candidate for "road rage"! I didn't agree with any of it but it would've been too much hassle to contest the decision, we would've had to go to Court and everything.

Anyway, about 13 years have passed since then, would it be worth applying again with a new to having Automatic lessons?

Probably a non starter though because even if by some bizarre miracle I passed a test in an Automatic, I don't get high enough benefits to get a Motability car.

So anyway, has anyone else had a similar experience?
Where do you live, I never heard of anything like this, in the US, I pretty much assumed that you would just take driving lessons from a private instructor. It isn't even necessarily required, at least in the states I've lived in.

Hmm, something to think about. Maybe best not to get a dx in some cases. I can see the FAA doing that to me, or DMV refusing a CDL for someone (in the States, anyway).

Where do you live, I never heard of anything like this, in the US, I pretty much assumed that you would just take driving lessons from a private instructor. It isn't even necessarily required, at least in the states I've lived in.

Sheffield, England.

Not everyone on the Internet is North American or Canadian.

I had the chance to drive a car that doesn't need a licence ( in France) and the instructor ( not formal) said that there is no way I could ever drive a manual, but automatic, no trouble at all. He also said that I would be best driving on my own, as he could sense that I panicked too easily with him in the car. I am in more control when on my own, which is ironic, since I hate being on my own lol

I think there are many aspies who are successful with manuel, but I am not one of them!

It was such a surprise when I first went out on the road, to realise that all my social anxiety just disappeared and it really did not bother me with other drivers being stupid or beeping me etc, because all I was concerned about was safety; whereas my husband, who has been driving most of his life, has terrible road rage; not the extent of what we read about, but he does let the driver know what he thinks and does put his fist up! Another chap, who was in the car with him said: how do you know that the guy you just was facially aggressive to, is not waiting down the road, to punch you? So, my husband is endeavouring to think of that.

It is frustrating that just because we have aspergers, we are automatically classed as unsafe drivers and yet, those who are "normal" are the cause of most accidents?

I cannot get a licence, because I have to do it in French and it is just too much for me, but I know a lot of the highway code, when it is based on common sense and yet, know for a fact, that most French drivers just memorise the answers and thus, are stupid on the roads.

I joking said to put a note on the back of our vehicle that says: if you can read this, please refer to set page in your highway code ie driving too close, which disables the braking distance! Another said to say: if you can read this easily, you are way too close; back off!

They said due to my disabilities I wouldn't be able to ssafely control a car, this was for a manual, and with my tendency to get mad easily, I'd be a candidate for "road rage"!

How would they know that you "tend to get mad easily" unless you told them so? If you did offer that piece of information then I'm not at all surprised that they refused to give you a licence. A person who wishes to drive a potentially lethal road vehicle needs to be in full control of themselves all the time.

I live in England. I've been statemented for autism and I also have heart failure but I had no difficulty in obtaining a driving licence or passing my driving test for motorcycles and a second one for cars, which covers me for both manual and automatic cars.

In theory I'd think if your disabled status hasn't appreciably changed, a bureaucracy generating a different decision is quite unlikely. However if your government bureaucracy is any less of what it was, you might squeak through.

Simple point: You have potentially more to gain by trying than not even bothering.

In theory I'd think if your disabled status hasn't appreciably changed, a bureaucracy generating a different decision is quite unlikely. However if your government bureaucracy is any less of what it was, you might squeak through.

Simple point: You have potentially more to gain by trying than not even bothering.

Back when I originally applied, that was under a Labour government in 2003, we now have a Tory government who clearly hate the disabled! Therefore, is it worth the stress of applying only to get a letter in the post telling me I've wasted mine and the DVLA's time applying again?

I haven't applied yet, I'm debating whether it's worth the hassle as I'd probably get turned down again.
Well, if you decide to give it a shot, I wish you all the best. Unless it costs a lot to get the ball rolling, you should give it a try.

Back when I originally applied, that was under a Labour government in 2003, we now have a Tory government who clearly hate the disabled! Therefore, is it worth the stress of applying only to get a letter in the post telling me I've wasted mine and the DVLA's time applying again?

But which dynamic is likely to be more relevant ? Regime change or bumbling bureaucrats? One of them is common to most any civilization. ;)

The real questions are whether they are politically applying universal fiscal restraint, or simple singling you out, or that perhaps an individual made a capricious decision that another bureaucrat might not make.

In British politics at the university level in the 70s I was taught that British bureaucracy at various levels functions almost as authoritatively as those at the top, elected temporarily in power. Has this changed?

But to reiterate, you have more to gain and less to lose in investigating this whatever the real answer may be at the moment.

* Shoutout to Professor Ted Tapper, Cambridge University "on loan" to American educational institutions. :cool: If he's still alive! :eek:

Last edited:
The rules are very clear and very simple....

Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD) and driving

You must tell DVLA if your autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) affects your ability to drive safely.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Ask your doctor if you’re not sure if your ASD will affect your driving.

You must tell DVLA if your autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) affects your ability to drive safely.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Thanks for the info.

I'll speak to the Family this weekend about the possibility of applying again with a view to lessons in an Automatic.

I don't see how autism would affect driving skills, if anything I'm constantly looking around for potential problems, even when I'm not the driver. Seriously, there are a lot of non autistic drivers out there who don't have a clue how to drive a car.

No harm in trying, especially if you've managed to do something about the issues they were concerned about, or have grown out of them as symptoms can change over time. If you think you can pass a test in a manual, then what's the issue with an automatic? It's easier as you don't have to faff about with a wretched gear stick, so there's one thing less to worry about and get stressed over.
More people are driving them these days due to volume of traffic, there are more of them to choose from, and the story about one thing going wrong leading to everything going wrong is decades out of date. That was an issue that concerned me when considering an automatic, but my instructor said that only happened with the early models. I drove automatics (can't afford to run a car at the moment), and had no more trouble with them than my manual-driving peers.
If you do have an issue with anger, you may need to re-think your desire to drive, unless you can choose where and when to drive, and stick to quiet roads and times. Even then, you can get caught out with an unexpected jam due to roadworks, for example. I've found I don't miss driving all that much due to that. And yes, you do need to consider the cost of keeping a car on the road.

I don't see how autism would affect driving skills, if anything I'm constantly looking around for potential problems, even when I'm not the driver. Seriously, there are a lot of non autistic drivers out there who don't have a clue how to drive a car.

You are making the mistake of assuming that all autistics are like yourself. Autism is a spectrum and some people on that spectrum still defecate in their pants and draw on their bedroom walls with it, so of course autism can potentially adversely affect the ability of some people to drive. That's why the UK government issued the guidelines that I copied and pasted into my last post. They only require someone to notify the DVLA if their autism may affect their abilty to drive safely (and quite rightly too). If someone's autism does not affect their driving (which is why they suggest asking a doctor's advice) there is no requirement to inform the DVLA.

I'm taking driving lessons at the moment and I'm having no trouble. I'm surprised that they have more problem with autism rather than the fact you're partially deaf - if I remember correctly.

If you do have problem with anger you're going to have trouble learning to drive because of course they won't like it if you're getting frustrated at other drivers or the instructor or the person administering the test.

You are making the mistake of assuming that all autistics are like yourself. Autism is a spectrum and some people on that spectrum still defecate in their pants and draw on their bedroom walls with it, so of course autism can potentially adversely affect the ability of some people to drive. That's why the UK government issued the guidelines that I copied and pasted into my last post. They only require someone to notify the DVLA if their autism may affect their abilty to drive safely (and quite rightly too). If someone's autism does not affect their driving (which is why they suggest asking a doctor's advice) there is no requirement to inform the DVLA.
I'm painfully aware of that. However, I don't think that someone writing on walls with fecal material would get very far driving even if they did get approval for lessons. But, yes, I understand your concern.

New Threads

Top Bottom