• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie Newbie, diagnosed late.

Bronwyn

Hiiii, im 18 from Wales (uk).

I got diagnosed in the end of January after a few sessions with a Aspergers councillor. The diagnosis came as a huge shock to the whole of the family but when we actually looked at the traits it was obvious. I have been in counselling since the age of 14 on and off but was never told that it was because of a 'thing' like I just thought it was hormones and stuff, plus im a introvert only child so I didn't really have a sister or anyone like me that my parents could compare me to. Its been a huge struggle to go through my school days. its funny now looking back as I can see its obvious Aspie that did that. I jumped between every 'clique', literally every one. I have had problems with self harm, eating disorders and have tried a few times in my younger days to end my life. I Never fitted in at all and I actually still dont but im hoping here I will be able to talk to like minded people :)

So 2 days after getting diagnosed my boyfriend of 7 months decided that he didn't love anymore and ended it with me. I got depressed and it still lingers. I think my latest obsession has been trying to find love again because im extremely dependant on people but now I have realised it im trying to find ways of being happily single.

Im really hoping that being apart of this community can help me get my life together and help me understand myself some better. :) the person who created this site may of just saved my life, thank you.

Welcome, Bronwyn. Come blog with us.
I'm sorry about what happened with your boyfriend. I know what it's like to have someone you care about disappear without an explanation. You'll make friends here. I understand what you mean by being dependent on people. Don't be afraid to cry about it. It's therapeutic, and it will help you put the incident behind you. (Although Zoloft works, too.) Don't feel like you have to get someone new until you're completely over your old boyfriend. If you want to talk, PM me and I'll tell you a story.

welcome.png

Wow.
You just wrote my life story, better than I have.
But I'm a 40 year old man, you are an 18 year old woman.
And we live on different continents.

Welcome home! It's a wonderful life...
amazing community here.

Hi everyone sorry for taking the P on replying! In tears reading your lovely words. I hope that you are all active and drop me a message! Look forward on hearing from you :):):):)

18 isn't very late. Many here found out in 30s, 40's or even later. It is a kind of watershed moment, that divides the confusing 'before' with the now-what-do-I-do 'after'. But actually nothing has changed within you. You have a brain, and it is with that, that you can adapt and succeed. Contrary to what you may think or hear, an Aspie can have a great life.

Hi Bronwyn,

This is about as welcoming a community as you will ever find online, and you'll find a ton of support here. For me, discovering that I am an Aspie suddenly helped me make sense of myself for the first time ever, and if it helps you the same way, it's a very good way to start the rest of your life.

It's sad to hear about your boyfriend, but someone so superficial that they would judge you on a diagnosis rather than on the person you are is someone you are much better off without. It might not seem that way right now, but it will.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome. I'm sorry for the heartbreak you have gone through and are going through.

Everyone here is a work in progress. Don't feel like you have to be anything more than that.

Hi Bronwyn,

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too. You're dealing with a lot, in a stage of your life that is already very stressful to start off with. I hope that in time the pain of your heartbreak will ease.

I agree with other posters that many are diagnosed in their 30s, 40s and beyond -- but no one should have to go undiagnosed with something like this throughout their main years of development!

I think many of us are significantly failed when it comes to this, and it is tragic.

However, from what I hear from others, I think it's likely that after a few months or so of making sense of the diagnosis in regards to your own identity the dust will start to settle and you will be able to make quicker progress to be more where you want to be. :)

Don't let the diagnosis itself (or others) limit you or unnecessarily lower your expectations of yourself. I hope you get some good professional support.

It seems like a very safe place here. Good luck with everything :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom