• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie mum fail , kinda pick ups and chit chat , so over it

Ok so how many mums with AS dread picking their kids up from school/ kinda , and what's some stupid stuff you've blurted out with out thinking , the other week a poor mum was making chit chat and mentioned the weather , well my super awesome brain took over and 20 minutes later this poor mum is still standing there while I wrap up a mini lecture on meteorology . Like seriously why didn't she tell me to shut the hell up ( I might add she is a lovely lady ,who probably see's that I don't fit in with the other mums and was trying to help) anyways ladies / dads share your stories tips and tricks for getting through. Those dreaded 15 mins

Sorry I am not a mother, but I do empathise, because when I have seen mums go into the play ground, I shrink back and think: oh thank goodness I don't have to do that!!!

When I went with my sister once, to drop her child off, I could feel myself panicking.

Oh sorry I am laughing because that is EXACTLY the sort of thing I do ie someone mentions a simple thing and I end up giving a history lesson and yep would talk about global warming etc etc

My husband says to me: please please: no heavy talk as I have just got up but to me, it is NORMAL talk and so, I am thinking: ok so what do I talk about now then?

Mine's not old enough for that yet. But, I do have a social job and have to mediate myself pretty often. I've learned how to skim over my topic, pick the highlights, and present those. If they act interested, I indulge some infodumping in various degrees. If not, I try to find another topic.

Like a pretty neat fellow that came in yesterday. He was a very special kind of silly. How, I'm not sure. But I could tell he had a fantastic sense of quirky humor. He seemed to know fantasy critters to a mild degree, so I was able to share a few moments giggling about centaur anatomy and wondering how many stomachs they had and how it passes by the horse forelegs. Very brief moment. I didn't want him to know I was a few levels weirder than he was and freak him out. :p

I've never said any stupid stuff, maybe inappropriate under given circumstances, maybe incomplete, maybe too quiet ot too loud, but never stupid :) I apologize if I took your post too literally :)

I've done something similar, except while gathered outside to watch (my daughter) at a high school cross country race several years back. I was more at ease because of being outside, and felt all right about speaking. Whoops. The person I was talking to never spoke to me again. I'm fairly used to that happening.
My only strategy if it can be called that, is to say hello if someone says hello to me, and keep moving about, pacing sort of, so that people choose others to chat.

Haha, Suzanne luckily one or my subjects is old cars so the hubby dosent realy mind the babbleing occasionally he will ask what iv done today bad idea as he usually gets a run down of my research on biology ( I'm generally very quiet unless spoken to ) and quite happy to listen to my own running comentary that is always in the forefront of my conscience , and yep I never know what to talk about as generally the mothers are chatting about an upcomming Tupperware party or the best hair dresser in the area witch I can not relate to at all ,

Ashe that would be so cool and a lot to think about , thanks...... I have this diagram happening in my head right now although the skellatal and muscular structure are gaining my attention,

Epath compleatly understand the choice of the word stupid was not the best .haha

Kestrel generally someone will strike up a convo once but following that a hi seems to be the length of the convo

Actually, Karma, this is one of the phenomena which led to my diagnosis... When my son was born everyone expected me to want to engage in the usual mommy chatter. And I just wanted to talk about eighteenth century naturalists or the chemistry of paint pigments or anything archaeological... or if we were at the park, identifying each species of bird or insect and its habits or the plants that were in bloom and which were native vs. exotic species.

I HATE the end-of-the day pickup at school too because the school staff and other moms try to chat, and I can't stand the sound of the Soccer Mom voice. High-pitched and overly effusive. Sorry if that is indulging in a stereotype, but I find it so grating and also insincere.

(I am sorry the type got smaller suddenly. I must have pressed somthing but don't know what.)

Actually, Karma, this is one of the phenomena which led to my diagnosis... When my son was born everyone expected me to want to engage in the usual mommy chatter. And I just wanted to talk about eighteenth century naturalists or the chemistry of paint pigments or anything archaeological... or if we were at the park, identifying each species of bird or insect and its habits or the plants that were in bloom and which were native vs. exotic species.

I HATE the end-of-the day pickup at school too because the school staff and other moms try to chat, and I can't stand the sound of the Soccer Mom voice. High-pitched and overly effusive. Sorry if that is indulging in a stereotype, but I find it so grating and also insincere.

(I am sorry the type got smaller suddenly. I must have pressed somthing but don't know what.)

Loved your post. Sadly, I can't hit Like, Agree, and Friendly at once.

You can fix the type I think by clicking the T! button (5th from the left in for formatting bar for posts). Play with the numbers until you get what you like.

I've done the school run for 15 years with two kids and have always found that sometimes mums will smile or say "Hi" for a while, other times they suddenly just ignore me for ages.
As I always make the effort to look at and smile at people, I've always wondered what causes them to change their behavior.. is it because I'm male - am I smiling in a flirty way without realising? Do I make people uncomfortable? Am I missing some cue to join in that leaves me on the outside?
I'm pretty much used to standing by myself nowadays and wouldn't know what to talk about anyway, though I have cultivated the ability to smile and nod and look interested while others talk..

New Threads

Top Bottom