• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers With a Dash Of Anxiety

Riley

I happen to have anxiety on top of my Aspergers. Is there anyone else with a similar situation? How do you cope with it?

YES!!! I'm shouting because I really mean yes, not to be rude. :)

With regards to the aspergers, I would most likely be leading a really nice, relaxed life right now - if it weren't for the anxiety.

I admit I have had some bad experiences in my life, which no doubt have added to me developing anxiety. But, anxiety not uncommonly goes along with aspergers.

Maybe someone else can tell us if that is for autism in general or more for aspies?

in answer: Coping with anxiety is a struggle but bit by bit I work on it. I have lived like a recluse more than once in my life to try and avoid anxiety. The sad thing is that it creeps in anyway because it's in my thoughts. I am now working with a therapist to try and change the way I think about events and conversations socially. Also to work through the way I think about bad things that have happened to me previously which are not to do with autism, necessarily, but may be linked.

I think it's a long road but I guess the bad habits we build up over time can also be unbuilt and changed over time too. I try not to lose hope when it doesn't happen over night. After all, to expect it to is not logical. Also, I needed help to do it. On my own I just got engrained negative patterns of thinking and hiding away.

Best luck, @Riley :)

I happen to have anxiety on top of my Aspergers. Is there anyone else with a similar situation? How do you cope with it?

Sure, guilty as charged! I suppose it might help to realize that it's not anything random and quite common with Autism Spectrum Disorder. That when you do feel so much anxiety, it's worth reminding yourself that while it may be for very good reason, that it may also be pathological on your part.

Where you have to step back, take a breath and try not to take yourself so seriously. Especially if it's something that really is far beyond your control to do anything about in the first place. ;)

Is there anyone else with a similar situation? How do you cope with it?

Do a lot of deep breathing right away, if it's possible. Exercise and things like dancing or singing helps me. Immersing myself in something I enjoy doing, yoga, reading, movies, painting. Sometimes I step back internally and attempt to figure out the root cause of the anxiety, which takes some time. If I can rationalize and understand the triggers, it calms me.

"A dash of anxiety " You must be one of "the chosen few". Seriously, a dash? Are you sure you have autism? Just playing. Uhh yeah ANXIETY. ALL DAY. EVERY DAY.

"A dash of anxiety " You must be one of "the chosen few". Seriously, a dash? Are you sure you have autism? Just playing. Uhh yeah ANXIETY. ALL DAY. EVERY DAY.

I kept trying to think of a response to the "dash" part and couldn't, and now I know it's because the universe was waiting to leave it up to you!

Dashes, sprinkles, dollops, huge dollops, scoops, shovel fulls, barrow-loads, shed-loads, ship loads :)
From the dash to the ECG.

I'm into and exploring the breathing techniques currently. Only because I've had some small victories with it and want to test it further.

You may think 'yeh, I breathe 24hrs a day, even faster when I'm anxious, so show me the magic!'

It's about how you breathe. Slowing them down.
Getting the exhale to last longer than the inhale.
Maybe some visualising to accompany the above?

I get anxious each time my routine is interrupted. I was anxious the other day, just because a nurse was coming over to take blood from me. Not because of the injection ( happily that does not bother me), but just because it was interrupting my normal routine and she was even late, which caused my anxiety to go sky high.

I hope I can persuade my therapist to put me on beta blockers, because anxiety causes a rapid heart beat, which is bad for the body.

I feel relieved it is not a daily battle, as I know so for many others and I do feel so much for them.

Oh and the only way the anxiety goes away, is when either the subject is over or cancelled. I can talk logic to myself and it will work for a fraction of a second, but anxiety kicks in fast.

Hate it with a passion.

As you have probably noticed it is a very common co-morbid condition to autism. Maybe the most common. Early on I tried to manage it mostly with exercise and diversions. Later on it was not sufficient and I went to the doctor about it and was put on meds. Not everyone likes going the med route, but for me personally it has worked well keeping it controlled.

Yeah... I discovered my autism because of my anxiety.

And then I discovered I’ve always had anxiety, all day every day, for as long as I can remember, I just didn’t really know what anxiety was because I thought of it only in physical terms. It still confuses me, even when it’s debilitating.

For example, I had to have a stress ECG the other day at a cardiology place, and because of my anxiety, my ‘resting’ heart rate before the stress test was higher than the point at which they usually stop the test.

The ironic thing is that the reason they’re investigating in the first place—heart palpitations and fast heart rate—is to rule out whether it’s just anxiety and stress that is causing it.

It can be downright embarrassing sometimes because a lot of people—doctors, family, friends—often don’t understand just how much anxiety can affect someone’s day to day functioning.

You’re in good company here, @Riley. As for suggestions on how to cope... I’m currently working through this stuff with my psychologist, so if there are any stand-out strategies, i’ll be sure to mention them. ‘Til then, I’m right there with you watching this thread like a hawk.

Thank you all for the advice! Although I do some methods already, plus my medication, I'll take them into consideration.

Does your anxiety get too strong on its own? To the point you have a panic attack?

Does anyone else have a similar thing?: Being convinced something bad will happen if you ever stop worrying. Like: If I stopped freaking out everytime a bad storm hit, then I'd end up dead/losing things in a tornado.

Does your anxiety get too strong on its own? To the point you have a panic attack?

Yes. That was the point when I sought out a pharmaceutical solution.

I got one- a beta blocker called Thioridizine. Though it came at a price given it caused periodic unintended premature atrial contractions (PACs). Something less than an arrhythmia. But experiencing what seems to feel like your heartbeat skipping is just another thing that can stress people.

The medication was eventually taken off the market, long after I voluntarily decided to no longer take it.

I have constant anxiety too. It's so prevalent that I question why I "don't" have it at certain times. From reading responses, I am reminded that intense exercise would calm me down. It's part of that endorphin thing. Being hyper-focused also seems to thwart feelings of anxiety. I've started to practice mindfulness, but I find the results to be short-lived, but still effective. I think that gloom and doom follow me like a shadow, and I can't just pretend it's not there. It's a very unpleasant feeling.

Yes. That was the point when I sought out a pharmaceutical solution.

I'm on nerve pills my sister recommended. But I still had the panic attack I did.

I just wanted to know if I was just making myself have a panic attack.

I just wanted to know if I was just making myself have a panic attack.

From my perspective that's not a simple question to answer as to whether such thoughts are neurologically voluntary or involuntary. For me, I can often identify what my OCD can trigger, but the idea that I can block it before it happens seems well...impossible. For me at least. Where cognitive behavioral therapy just didn't take. At least not enough to preempt such a thing from occurring. Though after the fact I can sometimes sort of "talk myself down" from it. If that makes any sense. o_O

It's when certain circumstances present themselves, and I instantly contemplate the worst case scenario. Where I have to "catch" myself doing as such, and then remind and rationalize to myself that the odds of such things happening aren't all that great. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, where I am left to simply let my anxiety take its course.

I also experience a lot of anxiety. Would love to be able to kick it to the curb. It feels like it is such a part of me now that sometimes I wonder who I would be without it? Following this thread with interest.

I get anxious each time my routine is interrupted. I was anxious the other day, just because a nurse was coming over to take blood from me. Not because of the injection ( happily that does not bother me), but just because it was interrupting my normal routine and she was even late, which caused my anxiety to go sky high.

I hope I can persuade my therapist to put me on beta blockers, because anxiety causes a rapid heart beat, which is bad for the body.

I feel relieved it is not a daily battle, as I know so for many others and I do feel so much for them.

Oh and the only way the anxiety goes away, is when either the subject is over or cancelled. I can talk logic to myself and it will work for a fraction of a second, but anxiety kicks in fast.

Hate it with a passion.

I want propranolol so badly. I would take as much as they would give me and say I could take. It never made me feel intoxicated but helped a lot. I want to remember to ask my doctor if she will give it to me (different doctor than the one who gave it to me years ago).

New Threads

Top Bottom