• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Syndrome/ Asperger/ Asperger's Syndrome?? Any preferences?

Any preference to the specific wording?

• Asperger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asperger's Syndrome

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Aspergers Syndrome

• Asperger Syndrome

• Total voters
On my diagnosis it says "Asperger's Syndrome", so I thought that was the correct term. I should confess that I could not remember what term they used on my diagnosis and had to find it to see. To me, it really does not make any difference, but you are right. The pros do not seem to agree on any one term.

It bothers me that professionals are not always on the same page. It inherently diminishes my faith in them as professionals.

Yet in this venue, I honestly don't care what you choose to call it. Only that I believe I have it...whatever it's called.

I thought they skipped 9 because 9x would refer to windows 95-2000 and it might get confused with them or something.

I think we'd all like to think that, but then that would be giving Microsoft far too much credit IMO.

Oddly enough, their operating systems seem to reflect Star Trek movies. That every other production is a disaster requiring an expeditious replacement. Go figure. At least so far consumers seem happy with version 10.

It might make a difference what country you are in.
Here, there seems to be a trend in officialdom to drop possessives in names even if it makes more sense to have them.
You could be radical and follow Tony Attwood's lead and use the positive term 'Aspie' instead (as used by the community themselves).
The discovery of Aspie criteria

Last edited:
On my diagnosis it says "Asperger's Syndrome", so I thought that was the correct term. I should confess that I could not remember what term they used on my diagnosis and had to find it to see. To me, it really does not make any difference, but you are right. The pros do not seem to agree on any one term.

Good point. I can only say IMO that for legal purposes I would always default to the precise term I was diagnosed. Particularly if I were diagnosed prior to the DSM-V. But for conversational purposes, it really doesn't matter to me.

As for what the professional medical community at large really thinks, at the very least they're not all on the same page. :eek:

In my own case, I'd really only aggressively pursue a profe$$ional diagnosis if I had specific legal reasons for doing so. Relative of course to government entitlements. Otherwise that's a potentially expensive proposition just to satisfy my own curiosity over what essentially I consider something I already know.

Last edited:
Good point. I can only say IMO that for legal purposes I would always default to the precise term I was diagnosed. Particularly if I were diagnosed prior to the DSM-V. But for conversational purposes, it really doesn't matter to me.

As for what the professional medical community at large really thinks, at the very least they're not all on the same page. :eek:

In my own case, I'd really only aggressively pursue a profe$$ional diagnosis if I had specific legal reasons for doing so. Relative of course to government entitlements.

In my case, I pursued and paid for the diagnosis just because I wanted to know for sure if I was a Aspie. I have no need for any entitlements or services, but it would have been nice if my crappy insurance would helped out a little. It was still money well spent.

I'm more used to Syndroom van Asperger, so all look just a bit off to me. Asperger's Disorder is closest to this.

New Threads

Top Bottom