• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers in your family,

My older brother is autistic and I am his carer,I found that I am on the spectrum at 31 and my husband is convinced that my aunt on my dad’s side is on the spectrum as well but I don’t think she will ever be diagnosed though I am convinced she has Aspergers,but my aunt actually told me awhile ago that she contacted the daughter of my great uncle and found out that she has a daughter with Aspergers so I am starting to think that it’s on my dad’s side of my family and there could be more relatives but they will more likely never be diagnosed.

My uncle also has a mild form of aspergers. I didn't know until recently, but it explains why i probably relate to him more than any other member of my family. I've also seen aspie traits in my 6 and 8 year old little cousins. The 8 year old has always had very advanced vocabulary for her age and the 6 year old once had a conversation with me about animals for what felt like 30 minutes while struggling to make eye contact. These traits obviously don't mean that they have aspergers, they just make me suspect that at least one of them might.

Maybe my mum was.

I have three kids.

6yr old is a carbon mini-me but undiagnosed ASD & ADHD.

4yr old possible NT, but still a right little handful.

3 yr old probably just aspie.

I think you will find that one of your parents, uncle/auntie are Aspergic, but of course it wasn't a diagnosis before 1994, it is genetic, so who do you think fits the bill of an Aspie in your family?

Like I said, I had a great Uncle on Dad's side who MIGHT have been Aspie, he had all the classic symptoms, poor social skills, couldn't look after himself, and hated the world and everyone in it, but he was never formally diagnosed, he died in 2007 aged about 86 I think.

In my immediate family my nephew is autistic. His little sister (my only other nephew/niece) may be showing some symptoms, but her mom isn't sure if she's copying him or developing it on her own.
My sister has bipolar and schizophrenia, my brother and other sister have dealt with depression. My mom very likely has an diagnosed anxiety disorder.

Guys,

Working in IT, I was only dimly aware of Asperger's until my wife told me I had it and bought me a book on it :)

Since then, I've come to the conclusion that not only can I see autistic traits clearly in 3 extant generations of my family (with multiple actual diagnoses in the youngest generation) but, interestingly, I believe I can see it in the families of the people whom members of my family have married. In one obvious case, a spouse's sister has a diagnosis.

To me, growing up in a family that is necessarily very accepting of autistic traits, it seems only natural that the best marriage fit for someone in my family would be someone from a similar thinking family.

If this occurred for generations, it might have the effect of concentrating autistic traits within families such as my own ?

Try drawing a tree of your extant family members and their spouses and their siblings and then ring the people that you think might be a little further along the spectrum than most.

I'd be really interested to hear if you find the same pattern in your family.

I tried Googling this subject, but could not find much on it - hence my posting.

Jules

New Threads

Top Bottom