• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers in your family,

Tomos

Hi everyone is there anyone in your family that also have aspergers.

my brother haves aspergers and my dad may possibly have it aswell. :)

I strongly suspect my father and grandfather might have it, or at least have many Aspie-like traits. They came from a country and time where there was no autism diagnosis though, so can't know for sure.

I strongly suspect my father and grandfather might have it, or at least have many Aspie-like traits. They came from a country and time where there was no autism diagnosis though, so can't know for sure.

My mum doesn't seem to have it, i'm convinced that my dad has it though.

as he shows quite a lot of aspie traits his self.

I'm pretty sure my mother has it, and possibly her mother, too. Once I learned about my diagnosis, a lot of her behaviors started to make sense. They're 70(ish) and 90(ish), so why upset their lives now by telling them?

I'm pretty sure my mother has it, and possibly her mother, too. Once I learned about my diagnosis, a lot of her behaviors started to make sense. They're 70(ish) and 90(ish), so why upset their lives now by telling them?

I believe that my grandparents have aspergers, however i doubt they would believe anyone if they were told they may have ASD.

Younger sister is diagnosed. All siblings seem to have traits with the exception of my brother and father. Mother quite likely.

I believe one sister, and my son, possibly my daughter (undiagnosed). One nephew and a brother in law diagnosed. Two other nephews possibly (undiagnosed).

Younger sister is diagnosed. All siblings seem to have traits with the exception of my brother and father. Mother quite likely.

I believe one sister, and my son, possibly my daughter (undiagnosed). One nephew and a brother in law diagnosed. Two other nephews possibly (undiagnosed).

It seems a common trait that anyone who has any sibling, may also have aspergers.

No, no one in my immediate family has it, or, at least, not that I know of, because I'm not in contact with any of my blood relations on my mother's side. I think my Asperger's is probably epigenetic rather than genetic, as my mother started to become ill when she was still pregnant with me, that could have caused genes to switch and express themselves.

No one really knew about Aspergers when I was young, I only found out about mine when researching symptoms in my 8 year old son

All I know is I have it my son has Aspergers and my 4-year-old has autism and is just starting to speak

My father has some traits if he has it, It would be to a lesser degree than myself.

My Dad had an Uncle Les who possibly had it, he had all the symptoms, poor social skills, couldn't look after himself, hated the world and everyone in it, but he was never formally diagnosed.

Sadly he's been dead nearly 11 years.

I also have a very distant cousin who is Schizophrenic and lives in a Home.

Last edited:
My Dad had an Uncle Les who possibly had it, he had all the symptoms, poor social skills, couldn't look after himself, hated the world and everyone in it, but he was never formally diagnosed.

Sadly he's been dead nearly 11 years.

Sorry to hear that.

AFAIK I'm the only one. I was an only child & never knew my mother, so have no idea whether she may have been the genetic transmitter or not. I do know my dad told me she was into drugs & wonder if that had an impact? I also assume that the genes could have been latent in her &/or my dad & expressed themselves in me. I don't know enough about genetics or the genetic expression of the gene but I think that's a possibility too.

My great-niece is diagnosed with autism; I'm self-diagnosed, and am pretty sure one of my aunties has it. My brother may also have it, and possibly one of my cousins; not sure about my mum, although I think my step-dad may have had it.

New Threads

Top Bottom