• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers/Autism Merchandise and Clothing

I like this one.
View attachment 1499

I don't think I'd wear AS/autism-related clothing out in public though. If I was to wear a t-shirt saying, for example "I Have Aspergers", I'd probably get some Nosy Parker coming up to me and asking "do you really, what's it like? etc.", and I wouldn't feel comfortable being put on the spot like that. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with people knowing about my condition who don't need to know, and the thought of me being defined by it.

I must admit though, I do like the t-shirts.

Would you ever buy autism-branded merchandise or clothing?

No.

This is partially because I don't wear clothes with messages or logos on them anymore. And, like CJ, I wouldn't want to be on the spot . . . I wouldn't want people approaching me asking me what it's like to be on the spectrum.

I had a feeling people on the spectrum wouldn't want to be identified in public. Some of the t-shirts that I have seen do look nice though.

I've been thinking about making some Autism related t-shirts and now after you've mentioned it, I'm thinking, would I wear something like that myself? ... I see lots of people (mostly mothers and teachers) wear awareness t-shirts but personally I think there's time, place and purpose for that. There're certain types of people who like wearing t-shirts with words and statements... or you have to be in a certain state of mind to wear something like that. I guess you're always have to think what kind of people you're making your products for instead of just putting stuff out there with messages on it hoping somebody will buy it. I've been wearing a t-shirt saying "don't bug me" (with a drawing of a bug instead of a word) for 2 years I believe. Nowadays I don't really feel like wearing anything like that. I've got a t-shirt (it was my avatar not so long time ago) saying: "I live in my own world, but it's ok they know me here" I thought it was funny, but now I only wear it at home.

I too don't wear a lot of shirts with any fancy designs or text, and if and when I do it's usually nondescript (i.e. Polo shirts). The t-shirts in the first post, even the ones that don't directly imply anything, are attention grabbers and I'm not the kind of person who's trying to grab attention but rather trying to go unnoticed most of the time. Not to mention, I wouldn't want people asking me about "ass burgers" on a daily basis. So the answer is no.

Though I might make an exception for this one if they have it in a different color:
1495d1318042912-aspergers-autism-merchandise-clothing-flappyhappy_ob2_t.jpg

Pretty funny if you ask me :D

Last edited:
I kind of like a few of the AS-related t-shirts I've seen (particularly the "You read my shirt, that's enough social interaction for today" one), and I do like the idea of supporting Aspies Central by buying a tshirt or something else, but, yeah, I'd really hesitate to wear one in public for the reasons others have already mentioned. If I was in a situation where it was "safe" to do so, like at a Asperger's/Autism convention or something like that, I might, but even there I think I'd feel slightly funny about advertising that aspect of myself. Maybe if it was one of the less overt ones that doesn't directly say "I have Asperger's."

Other types of AS-related merchandise might work better for people here, like maybe coffee mugs or something else like that. Something kind of like that that doesn't overtly advertise that you have Asperger's/Autism as much as a t-shirt but could work as a conversation starter in the right situation might be something that some would like to have.

Last edited:
Though I might make an exception for this one if they have it in a different color:
1495d1318042912-aspergers-autism-merchandise-clothing-flappyhappy_ob2_t.jpg

Pretty funny if you ask me :D

Here's the link for different colours: [Here]. If you're outside the UK change the .co.uk to a .com

Other types of AS-related merchandise might work better for people here, like maybe coffee mugs or something else like that. Something kind of like that that doesn't overtly advertise that you have Asperger's/Autism as much as a t-shirt but could work as a conversation starter in the right situation might be something that some would like to have.

Thats a good idea. I wasn't being completely serious about making AC-branded t-shirts though, as I figured most wouldn't wear them in public, it was more thrown in for conversational purposes. Anyway, perhaps some AC-branded stationary might work? Like a coffee mug simply saying "I ♥ AC". It could support the running of the site or be given away as a prize in a competition.

What does everyone think?

I like the shirts that promote general autism/Asperger's awareness. I wouldn't wear any clothing that basically says, "Hey, I'm autistic." I could only imagine the negative attention that would bring.

I only wear plain coke white T-shirt and brandless pants. Anything with AS awareness is cool, but I just do not feel comfortable with them.

In some parts of Asia, where I live, people will just crave for any T-shirt with English words but do not really get the meaning of the words. so the AS support shirts just do not really achieve their supposed aims there...

New Threads

Top Bottom