• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Semantic Pragmatic Disorder Project

Lightwing12Star

Hi all,

I am new on here. I am doing a project on Asperger's and semantic Pragmatic Disorder.This project is for a clinical linguistics module for the last year of my degree.We have to write a 3000 word project.I find Asperger's particularly interesting because my eldest brother has it and I believe I have some traits of it.

I have basically created a test which tests some pragmatic language areas.I have a few hypotheses which I am testing. I will compare the results with people without Asperger's as well. It is quite long and will probably take around 40 minutes but maybe quicker.There are 32 questions. You will of course be kept anonymous.

I hope that some of you may find the time to do it.It would really help if you could.I think I may keep the survey going for 2 -3 weeks depending on how many replies I get. Maximum probably a month. You will have to be 18 or over.If you need any more information,Just message me.If you can't answer anything, Just state that you don't know.

Also the questions are quite interesting, so its not boring lol.

Would just like to add that if don't have Asperger's you can still do the survey but you would have to not have any other type of autism as I am just testing those with asperger's and those without autism.You can have other types of disorders though as long as they don't impede too much on you giving answers.

It would also be best that you have a very high level of English. You do not have to be a native speaker but you should be able to understand English very well.

*Hi I have now changed a few things at the beginning of the survey so I am starting collecting replies again as I realised I could not tell whose answer belonged to which category e.g.whether the answer was by someone with asperger's or non-autistic.

So if you have already done the survey , could I ask that you do it again please if you want to. Thank you.

*Please read the instructions at the beginning as it explains now how to indicate in your answers whether you have asperger's or not for example so that I know when i collect the data.

Finally here is the link to the survey-

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=qm41bqbz14q824x411367

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up a rather interesting survey and of course, I decided that I would move this post to where is most appropriate to post surveys. Had any luck with it so far?

I've looked over this test last night.

Does the test take in consideration language barriers? I mean, I'm not an English native speaker and thus answers might get skewered, and that's perhaps not necessarily because of my Asperger's but perhaps it might be because of my grasp of a second or third language.

I imagine if lots of people would take this test as non-native English speakers you would get strange results that say less about pragmatic language, but add in the complexity of the grasp of pragmatic language for aspies who are multilingual to a certain extent.

Hi Superboyian, I have only had a couple of people with Asperer's answer it so far so not so much luck.

And King-Oni, Well I guess I should have mentioned that. I mean its ok if it's not your native language but better if you have atleast a very good understanding of english.

Hi Superboyian, I have only had a couple of people with Asperer's answer it so far so not so much luck.

Hi Lightwing12Star! I myself have Asperger's (50 year old female diagnosed this year) and my son also has it (20 years old).

You wrote that you haven't had much luck with people that actually have Asperger's doing your survey.

I think that one barrier you might be facing is the 40 minutes. I can pretty much guarantee that many, many of those with Asperger's don't have the patience to sit through 40 minutes of answering questions on a subject that doesn't involve their own "obsession(s)".

Plus ADHD is a common co-morbid diagnosis and imagine trying to get a bunch of folks with ADHD to sit down for 40 minutes to take a survey...

I was interested until I came across the 40 minutes info and that turned me away from it. Totally no offense intended, it's just too big of a block of time for me to devote at once.

I just wanted to let you know in case that's something that's adding to the lack of responses that you're getting.

Best of luck with it!
Diane

Hi Lightwing12Star! I myself have Asperger's (50 year old female diagnosed this year) and my son also has it (20 years old).

You wrote that you haven't had much luck with people that actually have Asperger's doing your survey.

I think that one barrier you might be facing is the 40 minutes. I can pretty much guarantee that many, many of those with Asperger's don't have the patience to sit through 40 minutes of answering questions on a subject that doesn't involve their own "obsession(s)".

Plus ADHD is a common co-morbid diagnosis and imagine trying to get a bunch of folks with ADHD to sit down for 40 minutes to take a survey...

I was interested until I came across the 40 minutes info and that turned me away from it. Totally no offense intended, it's just too big of a block of time for me to devote at once.

I just wanted to let you know in case that's something that's adding to the lack of responses that you're getting.

Best of luck with it!
Diane

Hi Diane,I have now made it shorter so it should now only take around 25 mins I think.maybe a bit less. Hopefully that will get more people interested in doing it. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Diane,I have now made it shorter so it should now only take around 25 mins I think.maybe a bit less. Hopefully that will get more people interested in doing it. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Lightwing12Star! I just now saw your post at WrongPlanet.net and I saw in your description that the survey is shorter. :) I will try to find some time to do it for you. :)

Have a great day!
Diane

Hi Lightwing12Star! I just now saw your post at WrongPlanet.net and I saw in your description that the survey is shorter. :) I will try to find some time to do it for you. :)

Have a great day!
Diane

Me again. :) I just now finished your survey. :) I skipped the question about putting the sentences in order for the story, that would take too much time for me...

Best of luck with it! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom