• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

THC is bad for people with Asperger's or any anxiety issue, especially concentrates. You want CBD for Asperger's or other anxiety / neurological / psychological condition.

Having had the opportunity to experiment with a number of medical strains containing varying amounts of THC:CBD and comparing the effects of these with available street strains invariably high in THC, I've personally found that a >50:50 to <90:10 THC:CBD ratio is most helpful for my anxiety and depression; high CBD strains induce tiredness in me but have little effect otherwise.
I'd like to see some controlled studies on the effects of THC:CBD on Autism and its comorbids, but I'm aware of a number of Auties who report using strains high in THC to good effect.. and, as always, it must be stated that cannabis is not for everyone!

I wish they would approve medical marijuana for anxiety where I am. I'm so sensitive to other medications and they usually give me really bad side effects. I've felt the suicidal ideation, hostility, and severe physical side effects.
Look up an herb called Rhodiola Rosea. It has been helping me greatly with anxiety. You can also look up an herb called Aswaganda, which works in a similar way.

News of official studies into the effects of cannabis on various medical conditions seems to be coming thick and fast - it's even possible, though somewhat involved, to have cannabis prescribed for certain conditions in the UK now.. all you have to do is join ClearUK, have a consenting GP, write to your MP, meet your MP, get a carefully worded prescription, travel to Amsterdam the first time - then you can get your meds delivered by post.. if you're not too ill to do all that.
Of course, you can always find a street dealer or grow your own instead, if it's easier.. I wonder why the UK Government aren't winning The War On Drugs o_O

Here's an article on research into a cannabis cure for COPD I found interesting:

InMed Launches Study on Cannabis-Based COPD Therapy Lung Disease News

I've tried it but pot zones me out too much. Meth helps and, I did it for three years in my 20's but, the toll it took on my body wasn't worth it, not to mention the expense, even then. I don't like what pot does to me any more than I like what alcohol does to me. I don't use drugs or alcohol and haven't for at least 15 years.

I also know people who do use medical marijuana and, it does help them. It's your life, your choice and, if it's legal where you live (I know it is in CA) then do what works for you. Even if it has side effects, it might be worth it to you for the relief it gives you.

I refuse to use the stuff because I do not like being zoned out, feeling lazy and, the lack of energy it gives me, it sedates me too much. I also do not like the smell of it so, it is forbidden in my home. I do rarely have a guest that smokes it, and I ask they go outside or, into the barn to smoke. I can't handle it in my house.

Here's an interesting article on how cannabis has been shown to mitigate the effects of the emotional pain caused by loneliness:

Is Marijuana the Cure for Loneliness? | Psychology Today

Paracetamol, according to the article and one of the drugs councellors I was forced to talk to (in relation to my medical cannabis use), does the same job, but is addictive and rather harmful to the liver.

Last edited:
Here's a good article on Dr Sanjay Gupta and his three part documentary Weed, well worth the watch for an educating and balanced view on the positive effects of medical cannabis.

Last edited:
Well, lookie here!
If the UK government are a bunch of inept, uncaring, blinkered dinosaurs, our police forces are proving that they're not. Once this different approach to the decades long, expensive and ineffective 'War on Drugs' takes hold the burden on the police, NHS and benefits system will change for the better!

I am 47 and have not smoked pot in over 25 years. I used to smoke it a lot in my teens, though (recreationally!). I definitely zoned out on it and got EXTREMELY tired. I also noticed that a high would last much longer for me than most people. 1/2 a joint would get me stoned for 3-4 hours. I don't know if this is an aspie thing or there is some other physiological reason, though. At any rate, i'm glad i stopped. Definitely not healthy.

Wow, 2,444 people have signed this petition to legalise the production, sale and use of cannabis in the UK in the last hour (me included) - it's only been up for a day or so and already has 54,008 signiatures as of the time of my post.
Once it reaches 100,000 it will be considered for debate in parliament.

"Legalising cannabis could bring in £900m in taxes every year, save £400m on policing cannabis and create over 10,000 new jobs.

A substance that is safer than alcohol, and has many uses. It is believed to have been used by humans for over 4000 years, being made illegal in the UK in 1925."

Last edited:
I debated putting this link in the suicide thread, but I didn't want to inadvertently force a cannabis discussion there.

Maggie Volpo's article on suicidal ideation and self harm could almost be my own story of dealing with this illness in my life. Her use of cannabis to save herself mirrors my own experience and those of the many people I've encountered on the 'Legalise cannabis' front who use it medicinally for depression, PTSD and other mental health issues.

Whether or not you agree with the use of medicinal cannabis, please read the article as it's an excellent and touching description of what it's like to live with the threat of suicide.
I've printed it to show to people who call me selfish, inconsiderate and stupid and won't listen when I try to explain it.

You don't have to sell me on this idea,I feel the use of marijuana as a nervous system anti inflammatory was helpful for my brain damage recovery.
There are so many untapped medical uses for it that lead me to believe it needs further study and investigation.
I am a member of the Marijuana Policy Project who has made great strides in the removal of the prohibition of marijuana use in the United States of America and increased rates of tolerance for medical usage.

I think that big tobacco,big alcohol and big pharma need reigned in and an upset is past due for those industries with major track records of doing serious harm to individuals.

Once again,I will stress that it is not for everyone,but if it works for me,do not try to push any of your opinions on me based on knowing nearly nothing about it.

Having had the opportunity to experiment with a number of medical strains containing varying amounts of THC:CBD and comparing the effects of these with available street strains invariably high in THC, I've personally found that a >50:50 to <90:10 THC:CBD ratio is most helpful for my anxiety and depression; high CBD strains induce tiredness in me but have little effect otherwise.
I'd like to see some controlled studies on the effects of THC:CBD on Autism and its comorbids, but I'm aware of a number of Auties who report using strains high in THC to good effect.. and, as always, it must be stated that cannabis is not for everyone!

This is interesting. There's a lot of new news about varieties in my local area, although it's all about recreation. I can see a lot of people currently self-medicating with food and alcohol moving to this in advance of the studies, so it's very good to get some personal experience out there. Detailed anecdotal information isn't a substitute for research, but right now, it's all we have. And more of it will inspire research attention and grant dollars.

This is interesting. There's a lot of new news about varieties in my local area, although it's all about recreation. I can see a lot of people currently self-medicating with food and alcohol moving to this in advance of the studies, so it's very good to get some personal experience out there. Detailed anecdotal information isn't a substitute for research, but right now, it's all we have. And more of it will inspire research attention and grant dollars.

Thanks A4H - with legalization spreading globally now there's plenty of anecdotal material around, as well as a number of official studies, that indicate significant medical benefits in a surprisingly wide range of conditions.. with no harmful side-effects.
I must admit to a personal distrust of official studies as they brought us SSRI's and valium, neither of which worked at all well for me.
I'm happy to accept that, when a million people say this works and it's been around since the dawn of time, it's gotta be doing something good.

Taking drugs is a human right, say MPs and peers

I want my Human Rights recognised!

European Convention on Human Rights

ARTICLE 8

Right to respect for private and family life
1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family
life, his home and his correspondence.
2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the
exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the
law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of
national security, public safety or the economic wellbeing of the
country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection
of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms
of others.

I am a 21 year old male who has aspergers. I take a lot of medications and they seem to work and then stop working for me completely in about 3-4 weeks. So I am trying medical marijuana since i live in ca and have been through a lot these past 2 years, and i have to say it really helps. I had two appointments with my counselor this week and she even noticed a difference. She said "the apserger's traits seem to disappear almost completely," which gives me much hope and i have to also say that it is working also as an anti-depressant, i am replacing one of my anti-depressants with this and i feel as though it works better! It just helps me enjoy life substantially better. I am re-taking interest in Golf, that i used to love and play everyday, now i only play once a week but i feel like getting out more now.
I wanted to post this because of how well i feel the medical marijuana is working and helping me deal with my symptoms. And my symptoms have been getting the best of me for the last 2 years. Until now i feel better, like i can participate in life more fully and enjoyably.
I want to hear some responses, what people think and if people are going to try this out!

I wish medical marijuana were available to me here in Pennsylvania. Smoking one or two joints leaves me anxiety free for almost two full weeks, but, because its illegal I cannot risk it any longer. I risk not qualifying for disability if I'm caught using it. It sucks that the only drug that works really well for me is marijuana. If there were such a thing as a miracle drug, Marijuana would be it. I find it interesting how nature made the very best cure ....

As with most laws outlawing the use of something, follow the money. There is heavy opposition to Marijuana because Big Pharma would stand to lose billions of dollars per year, hence their very strong lobby.

I wish medical marijuana were available to me here in Pennsylvania. Smoking one or two joints leaves me anxiety free for almost two full weeks, but, because its illegal I cannot risk it any longer. I risk not qualifying for disability if I'm caught using it. It sucks that the only drug that works really well for me is marijuana. If there were such a thing as a miracle drug, Marijuana would be it. I find it interesting how nature made the very best cure ....

As with most laws outlawing the use of something, follow the money. There is heavy opposition to Marijuana because Big Pharma would stand to lose billions of dollars per year, hence their very strong lobby.
Let us not forget textiles (hemp), and petroleum (fertilizer and insecticides for cotton).

Agreed, Peace.
Hemp and cannabis seem to have an almost endless array of uses - which is mostly why it was made illegal in the first place, besides controlling the immigrant populations from South America and Africa.. it's always easy to arrest people for possession, then find worse charges later.
Medical (ingestion and topical) use (anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, loads more).. clothing (more durable than cotton, I believe it was the original denim), insulation, bricks, paper, sails, rope.. biofuel, lubricant.. food, cosmetics, toiletries (seed husks make a nice exfoliant).. Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned recreational use..

An acre of hemp provides 10 x the amount of paper an acre of trees would and is harvestable every year, compared to every 10 years for trees - and crop rotation is unnecessary as hemp doesn't leach nitrogen from the soil.

I personally believe that much of the ill health we suffer with now is a result of removing hemp and cannabis from our diet and environment. Considering the almost daily discoveries we're making as to it's medical benefits, it seems logical that we would have unwittingly received those benefits naturally when it was an integral part of our lives.
The introduction of toxic petroleum-based products as the only other alternative - well, it makes me feel sick that we've suffered so much so a few people could profit!

I love the "scientific" papers that go around drawing conclusions that overuse of marijuana can cause psychosis. I got into an argument with psychiatrist over one of these papers. I went ahead and analyzed the study only to find nothing scientific about the study, no scientifically valid means of carrying out the study. All I had to do was dig a little deeper to find that the study was funded by Bristol Meyers Squibb and Eli Lilly. This study is automatically biased because Bristol Meyers Squibb and Eli Lilly stand to lose billions on the legalization of Marijuana. When I mentioned this to the psychiatrist, he came up with a poor, then we'll agree to disagree response which tells me that he's just a shill for Big Pharma; I've got his number. I wouldn't doubt that some psychiatrists get perks and kickbacks from Big Pharma. Hell, drug reps visit psychiatrists all of the time to drop off corporate swag like high quality fountain pens, free samples, leather portfolios and binders, etc.

Overuse of anything has ill-effects. If you have too much sugar in your diet, you can get diabetes. I think the point is, Americans live a life that is so out of balance, between means and extremes that it's no wonder we have problems with depression, anxiety, and a host of physical maladies.

I just wanted to post this demoralising response by the UK government to the petition I posted earlier for the legalisation of cannabis which gained 150,000 votes in 5 days and over 200,000 after 2 weeks.
They have decided to ignore public opinion as well as scientific evidence and stay with the party line on simply repeating the same false propaganda they've been disseminating for decades, continuing to allow people to incur criminal records for possession, denying people in pain a much needed medicine and spending millions of pounds of tax-payers money on perpetuating the illegal drug trade.

Medical use is particularly relevant to me as I've struggled with suicidal ideations every day for the last decade - these have led to my making several attempts on my own life - and I find a measured dose of THC-rich cannabis tincture to be my only respite from this - my only chance to lead a relatively normal life.
I've faced the prospect of my own death every day for so long now and with such utter lack of understanding and support from those whose place it is to aid me, it's become just a tiresome consideration I have to factor into my routinue, like diabetes or ME.. I guess you can only live in fear of a thing for so long before it becomes routinue.

Several years of experimentation indicates that I can go about two weeks maximum without cannabis, as long as I consume a certain amount of alcohol, before self-harm and suicidal ideations become overwhelming.
Without alcohol I find I'm struggling within a week.. 3-4 days, really.
(I'm damned fed up with the hangovers and weight gain too!)

Legalisation will happen - even here - once the rest of the legalized world start raking in their own profits.. it's inevitable, really. I do wonder, though, how many will live and die in needless pain before that time comes.

.. Will I see legalisation?
I honestly don't know.

Last edited:
What the UK Government will not tell you is that the reasons for Marijuana criminalization are most definitely not for public health or safety. It is all about money and the anti-Marijuana lobby is powerful. The Pharmaceutical Industry stands to lose billions of dollars. The tide is slowly turning here in the states but it's at a glacial pace.

New Threads

Top Bottom