• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

YOU ARE ALL MISINFORMED AND UNEDUCATED ABOUT MARIJUANA. OMG jeese go do some research!! you keep making the same arguments and you're all wrong!!!

And you are coming across as more than a little arrogant.

Personally, I have done years of research on the topic. And I have used cannabis for even longer. Additionally, I have treated more than my fair share of clients who are drug users, as well as working alongside agencies like CAN.

I don't know if you've properly read the posts some of us have made, but I was making the point that it is not necessarily the marijuana that is bad for you, but the act of smoking. Inhaling ash and ambers is not a healthy thing to do.

So, you are in fact wrong. (Yet, see how I managed to say that without shouting?) You can get cancer from anything you smoke, because it is the carbon from that smoking paper that is the threat. Of course, marijuana smoked in a pipe or bong is safer, but many people will still mix that.

As a suggestion I am wondering if it is not the Aspie tendencies you are experiencing reprieve from but more the depressive and anxious behavior that you were experiencing that may or may not be Aspie related. We do have tendencies with having co-morbid disorders (often chicken or the egg syndrome but still). First I would wanna know why you want to control your tendencies so much? I mean I understand that we are all at a different functional level but is pot really the answer? I would suggest that there my be other herbal remedies that cause the same effect that you might want to look into. But I do not think drugging your self out with pot or anything else is not the answer to the problem. Coping skills and self care are very important.
To this I completely agree. I was diagnosed correctly about 6 months ago and up until a few days ago, it finally hit me that i really have Asperger's. It is a weird feeling to think about it in depth, but i feel that if there is something that is not harmful to my body as compared to some prescription drugs, that doctors want to put me on for basically my lifetime, then why not? If it works, then great! And for me, on a scale of 1-10 being helpful or not, marijuana has been so far a 9 for me.

And you are coming across as more than a little arrogant.

Personally, I have done years of research on the topic. And I have used cannabis for even longer. Additionally, I have treated more than my fair share of clients who are drug users, as well as working alongside agencies like CAN.

I don't know if you've properly read the posts some of us have made, but I was making the point that it is not necessarily the marijuana that is bad for you, but the act of smoking. Inhaling ash and ambers is not a healthy thing to do.

So, you are in fact wrong. (Yet, see how I managed to say that without shouting?) You can get cancer from anything you smoke, because it is the carbon from that smoking paper that is the threat. Of course, marijuana smoked in a pipe or bong is safer, but many people will still mix that.

I apologize if i came off rude, I get frustrated easily. But to your post, yes that is how i smoke it, out of a really nice 2.5 ft bong that has a 10 tree-arm perc and 2 inline downstems.

edit: so the chance of lung cancer is slim to none.

YOU ARE ALL MISINFORMED AND UNEDUCATED ABOUT MARIJUANA. OMG jeese go do some research!! you keep making the same arguments and you're all wrong!!!

to be honest with you this sounds like you have decided that you think marijuana is be best thing since sliced bread and your not willing to listen to reason. By all means smoke all you like and live out your life as a drug addict.

Your dad's problems from what i can discern are not from smoking pot...they are from overspending and the economy probably didnt help his business too much either. Marijuana i doubt is the problem.

Yes overspending is part of it. But Marijuana also had a massive part. Marijuana messes with your brain. When I last visited my family I had to put up with my dad's horrible attitude to everyone because he had no weed. And I had to witness the aftermath of my dad's selfishness because he would rather smoke weed than build a business to support his wife and treat his family with respect. Instead my dad would hide the bills and not pay them because he thought they were unimportant. He never paid taxes. He eventually stopped doing work for people, all the while smoking weed, and just took the money from people. There was overspending, but that was caused by his brain being so screwed up by weed. My dad made stupid decisions like not getting customers to sign a contract or sign off on work which lead to more problems. All because he wasn't thinking straight. In the end all he wanted to do was smoke weed ... but was happy to screw over his customers for their money so he could keep up this habit.

You are a fool if you think you can smoke something like Marijuana and it will have no lasting impact on your life. My dad lost everything and now my mum has to clean it up because my dad is too much of a selfish child to fix it. All because of weed. If my dad hadn't smoked weed he might still have his business and might actually be making a killing.

All that will happen from you smoking weed is you will become a lazy bum that never amounts to anything and just sits in a corner smoking weed claiming "its for my health man".

Dragon's Tooth,

I would respectfully suggest that what you have experienced is the aftermath of "addiction." It really doesn't matter what the substance is.

After all, most of us would not completely write-off Alcohol because of the actions of alcoholics.

In the same way, it could be argued that we cannot condemn cannabis completely because of the actions of "stoners" and addicts.

Occasional self-medication isn’t inherently bad, but it shouldn’t be relied on at the expense of learning actual coping skills. Occasional recreational use is, in my opinion, not at all a bad thing--and that holds for things besides alcohol and pot. If you want to have a little fun every now and then, I see no reason why smoking a doobie with a friend once a week or so, or eating psylocybin mushrooms at a Phish show, can do any harm. And if you do it occasionally to get yourself out of your own head and reorganize your thoughts, that’s perfectly legitimate—I can personally vouch for the benefits of that. I don’t see why it should be viewed as any worse than having an occasional drink, and that is a definite cultural bias, as has already been pointed out. However, if you do it ALL THE TIME, that means you either have some serious problems that the drug alone cannot address, that you lack proper and reasonable coping skills, or that you’re just a pretty boring person; and, as with any substance, doing it to excess is a terrible idea. Even regular use, however, is not necessarily a road to addiction, perdition and despair; when that happens, there are ALMOST ALWAYS other factors involved—socioeconomic, mental health, family life, etc.—and, while it may certainly be compounding things (it usually does), it is silly to put all the blame on marijuana alone. (I can think of many high-functioning stoners that I know personally—I used to be one, myself.)

As for health benefits and risks—far too often, I think a lot of people (mostly those who enjoy drugs recreationally) jump on the fact that these drugs are being studied, but ignore whatever the actual results might be. And, as with anything in medicine, “preliminary results” means almost nothing. The fact is, there is no such thing as a panacea for mental or physical health, however much one sees it framed that way. As to whether marijuana can be responsible for lung cancer: I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be; it has many more carcinogens than tobacco, and, while one usually smokes many more cigarettes in a day, I would be highly surprised if daily use didn’t have some adverse effect there. I would be interested to see people here link to some actual WELL-CONTROLLED and LONG-TERM studies. There is definitely a lower risk of dependency than with, say, alcohol, or heroine, but ANY substance that alters brain chemistry like that is not exactly risk-free.

I think some people in this thread on either side are coming down far too hard on this, and relying far too heavily on anecdote.

All drugs prescription or not can alter your brain chemistry it is what they are designed to do. They all have risks and benefits. Cam, The thing is medications are not the end all and be all of feeling good, you need to have some real coping skills and smoking pot, like drinking alcohol is not active coping skills. Learning to deal with the symptoms in a constructive way beyond medication now I am not saying medications are not bad nor am I saying that needing them in moderation isn't appropriate. But Pot is not really confirmed as a drug for mental health. A lot of people self-medicate, but I am suggesting being a little open to the thought that maybe its covering up things you don't want to deal with and its making it easier, that's not the way to go. Counseling and therapy take hard work on both the therapists and the clients part. Just a thought. I am not for or against it I do have a degree in Social work do understand the appeal of self medication.

What people have to realize is the actions/ behaviors of a person that smokes pot i.e. lazy, grouchy, irresponsable or whatever dosn't mean the pot causes them to be that way. What if pot had never existed? I think lazy people would still be lazy, irresponsable people would still be irresponsable etc. They would just find something else to 'be lazy' with. I mean very productive people that smoke pot are still very productive people.

And as for recreational vs. medical use I realy don't see much differance if any. I mean I have to imagion a person with absolutley no mental or physicall health conditions to imagion someone who would use any substance and it not be considered 'self medicating'. I don't know those people. Vertually everyone who uses a substance dose so to fell better in some way or another, to relax, etc. What is the differance?

I am on antidepresants and have to be to keep from getting into a bad depression. I have had depression since my earlies memories as a child. I am suposed to take one (antidepresant) every day I guess for ever. What if pot worked for me? (I dont' like pot by the way) But if it did help my depression and I smoked it everyday for ever would that be worse than takeing my antideprresant? Just asking??

Dragon's Tooth,

I would respectfully suggest that what you have experienced is the aftermath of "addiction." It really doesn't matter what the substance is.

After all, most of us would not completely write-off Alcohol because of the actions of alcoholics.

In the same way, it could be argued that we cannot condemn cannabis completely because of the actions of "stoners" and addicts.

I hear what you say divrom. Though my experience is no substance that is considered an illegal drug or alcohol or cigarettes is good news. My best friend was raped by a friend of ours while we were all out drinking, my father in law has had cancer and still refuses to give up smoking (he has even threatened to divorce his wife over it) and that is just a couple of the less than positive experiences I have had with drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.

I would also like to make the point that there is such a fine line between medical necessity and addiction you often don't know when you have crossed it.

For me the worst part about my friend being raped was I was standing outside the public toilets it happened in and I did nothing because of the affects of alcohol on my brain. Things like marijuana and alcohol alter your thinking whether you like it or not and in that moment when you need it to count you might be too ****ed up to realize what is happening and stop someone you love getting hurt.

Last edited:
A lot of people with all kinds of disorders notice or claim that weed helps them :) well, you should look at it differently. (And again, I haven't read other comments, if somebody have said something similar, sorry :) ) anywho... Research what marijiuana does exactly, how it effects person's brain. Once you know that you might have a little better understanding why it is helping you. I've never tried it and at this point - don't care any more. But people who used it said, it's very relaxing. But look at the negative effects as well. It may have influence on your memory. Just do some research about its effect. Oh my god! That was awesome! Sorry, watching hockey :D anyway, apparently it's not as addictive as other drugs, but you might want to pay careful attention to the way you react. Check the facts, the rest is just people's personal opinions.

I think it's probably worth noting that (good) counselling and therapy also change your brain chemistry.

If you had read the last bit in my statement I think you would have noticed that I kinda said that. That while I consider medication and counseling something that can go hand in hand. Yes good counseling/therapy will also help you to change your chemistry.

There is a Head Researcher for The University of California Irvine (UCI) that was studying the effects of autism and marijuana. I remember he noted that our brain's produce natural cannabinoids that help correct the symptoms of behavior in autistic individuals' brains. Those same cannabinoids are also highly present in Marijuana! This is interesting to say the least! It backs the claims that Marijuana can be a treatment option for those on the spectrum.

There is a Head Researcher for The University of California Irvine (UCI) that was studying the effects of autism and marijuana. I remember he noted that our brain's produce natural cannabinoids that help correct the symptoms of behavior in autistic individuals' brains. Those same cannabinoids are also highly present in Marijuana! This is interesting to say the least! It backs the claims that Marijuana can be a treatment option for those on the spectrum.
Personally I think the only thing that it may do - reduce anxiety... Do you think it slows you down a little? I remember, in my 20s I overdosed some mild sedative just to have a little experiment, to see what happens, everything around me seemed much slower and somehow made more sence. It was a little easier for me to function, but still... What kind of effects do you think it has on you, just curious?

I hear marijuana makes you feel good, and that can give people the idea that it is helping them, but there have been too many studies that show it lowers the IQ, contributes to psychosis and paranoia, and negatively effects people's ability to hold a job. I think it is dangerous. I use plenty of herbs, but not illegal ones, not without research, and not by smoking them.

Any drug you take will only do one thing and that is mask the problem. Its not dealing with it. And ultimately a drug like marijuana will probably give you more problems in the long run if and when you become addicted to it. This is why I don't take drugs for my depression, anxiety or anything else aspie related. I know I have to change the way I think to really recover and for a lot of people that is simply too much hard work. Its easier to mask the problem.

Even anti depressents and anti anxiety drugs are addictive. Studies have shown this fact. So over time even the so called good drugs make your brain hooked on something that is really not that good for you after all and make it so you can only function on said drug. If you really want to just do that for the rest of your life it doesn't really matter what name the drug has ... just go take it. But if you really want to heal and really want to be free of the crap in your head no drug will help that. It will only make it worse. And then you will have addiction demons to fix as well.

Any drug you take will only do one thing and that is mask the problem. Its not dealing with it. And ultimately a drug like marijuana will probably give you more problems in the long run if and when you become addicted to it. This is why I don't take drugs for my depression, anxiety or anything else aspie related. I know I have to change the way I think to really recover and for a lot of people that is simply too much hard work. Its easier to mask the problem.

Even anti depressents and anti anxiety drugs are addictive. Studies have shown this fact. So over time even the so called good drugs make your brain hooked on something that is really not that good for you after all and make it so you can only function on said drug. If you really want to just do that for the rest of your life it doesn't really matter what name the drug has ... just go take it. But if you really want to heal and really want to be free of the crap in your head no drug will help that. It will only make it worse. And then you will have addiction demons to fix as well.
Not all drugs mask the problem. Sometimes they go hand in hand with help solving the problem. The right medication and coping skills can do wonders for someone. Yes recovering from any mental health issues take lots of hard work and dedication and sometimes medication. But that is true that not all people need medication. That is not true that medications make it worse it can help. Not every person gets addicted to medications either.

I have a question for you Dragonstooth would you say the same thing about my asthma medication? If I didn't take it I would probably die of an asthma attack. I don't want that. It helps me a lot. But I don't think I am being harmed by something that will save my life. Same goes for Mental health meds to a degree. Would you say the same thing to someone who had diabetes? They need insulin to live would you say they are addicted to insulin because it helps them from dying of too high sugars? I am just curious.

I agree with Arashi. People with depression don't have the right chemical balance in their brain. The anti depresant makes the chemical balance better. Some people would suffer greatley dealing with depression without meds. I'm not crazy about drugs of any kind either. Most of them arn't the best for us but sometimes taking something is a better option than not. I went threw a 'health nut' spell when I didn't take any drug whatsoever for a period of over three years. I ended up being able to controle, heal, cure, and manage every single issue my family came upon in that time period without drugs. No one in my family required even an antibiotic. This ended up changeing when I had a major life crices (not health related) and lost my focus on this lifestyle. Eliminateing drugs and still being healthy and manageing conditions is possable (in a lot of cases) but it's not for everyone. It takes LOTS of focus, determination, lots of studying and some amount of money becouse the remidies you will need won't be convered by insurance like your prescriptions will. You can't just say that people shouldn't take drugs. For some people their prescription is the only way they have or know to take care of their condition and it would be worse it they didn't take it. ANd if they choose to go off meds and go for natural alternitives they can't just think it's as easy as stoping the meds. There are a lot of other things they will have to do instead of the drug. It is a TOTAL lifestyle change and everybody just can't do that.

New Threads

Top Bottom