• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

asthma and depression are two different things. So completely different I don't think you can compare them. That's like telling a diabetic not to take insulin or what ever. I think we are now so conditioned to the fact that a magical little pill (or drug) will cure us we don't think of any alternative when it comes to mental health. But other health conditions ... we know very well that if you don't use your inhaler when you have an asthma attack you could die.

I was on prozac (I dunno what its called now) for over five years. While I was a teenager too. I lost all ability to function properly and I stopped having joy in life. I saw the world as grey and bland and bleak. I existed. I didn't realize how much I gave up to have this horrible miserable existence until I had to stop taking them to replace them with another anti depressant. Now I realize exactly what I gave up to be normal and frankly I would happily take the huge ups and downs of depression just so I can feel something, so I can have creativity in my life, so I can be a whole instead of a being. I was just a robot in life when I was on this stuff and without it I have passion, I have emotion, I have creativity. I want to live. I want to be a better person.

I have also been on anti anxiety drugs as well. They ****ed with my heart, my head, my balance, my stomach. So I had a small amount of relief from the anxiety but I had so many side effects that I couldn't justify taking it.

So I have been on all the drugs that a doctor can give you. I have been to these dark places. I have self medicated. My fave self medication at present is food but I have done other stuff. I have tried everything. And I have come to the conclusion that you have to reprogram your thinking to escape this. You have to recognise your spiral down into depression and then shut it down. You have to recognise your spiral into anxiety. I battle every single day and I do it without drugs. I choose no drugs of any description because I have no personal experience with them (I'm talking prescription and illicit drugs here) that justifies them.

I have had my psychologist sit me down and tell me the same stuff you guys are talking about ... how depression and anxiety are chemical inbalances in the brain. That may well be. But studies have shown that anti depressants don't do much at all except raise the levels of neuro transmitters in your brain to a dangerously high level so that when you stop taking them you can't actually function normally. As in you can't feel happiness without them. Your body just can't cope.

See this article Anti depressants are merely another addiction - for doctors as well as the patients | Mail Online

The point I really want to make is that illicit drugs are illicit for a reason and that there is an alternative to just popping what ever anti depressant your GP puts you on. The most success I have ever had was when I took fish oil tablets. You have to take 500mg or more of the DHA oil a day (I think that's the right letters) and it repairs the pathways in your brain that have been damaged by depression and anxiety. It works. It takes at least a month but you feel better. And that doesn't need a massive lifestyle change Undiagnosed.

You are right undiagnosed that it takes a massive amount of effort to change your life style but you can either choose to be hopped up on drugs for the rest of your life, taking what ever new pill they produce each year, dealing with the side effects or you can get healthy and get your life back on track through positive thinking and changing your life style for the better. Exercise for instance has shown to be fair better at controlling depression than most anti depressants for instance. And maybe not eating all those ridiculous food additives (which are only tested on their own and never together so who knows what the cocktail of chemicals your eating does). That is all within our power to do even if you do it slowly over time. And so far my experience tells me that solution is far more productive and effect than drugs of any description.

PS: I would never advocate people stopping any medication without talking to a doctor. I'm not a doctor and I only speak from personal experience. It seems that there are a lot of people here though who are happy to just accept that a magic little pill (or a joint) will be the ultimate solution for the mental health issues without at least considering alternatives.

and this Why Antidepressants Don

Interesting that it lists food allergies ... something people aren't usually aware of having ... as a source of depression. For years I have known I was allergic to alcohol and it wasn't until I tried some drops recently that remove preservative in the alcohol that I discovered what was causing the reaction. The drops removed sulphates (which is actually a very common food allergy that people aren't aware they have) and with them removed I can drink alcohol fine.

The modern world is what is killing us and covering up the symptoms of this world with drugs only makes the people who own shares in pharmaceutical companies richer and us sicker.

I think it's going to be my last post here. It seems it's going nowhere :D what specific behaviors the researcher is targeting? Autism is a complex disorder that manifests itself in many different ways. Some behaviors that some people tend to call "autistic" have underlying causes. Yes, I know there many examples out there when people are given treatment for a condition without full understanding of the condition or the treatment. Like for instance I was diagnosed with complicated migraines, which symptoms are very similar to temporal lobe epilepsy and prescribed Topamax. I don't think there's one doctor out there who fully understands what complicated migraines are or what Topamax does exactly (yeah, I find it weird) but it works so doctors prescribe it. I believe with Autism, there might be other options in many cases... But again, I don't judge. And... There's not enough information even to discuss it.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but I'm new here. I believe cannabis can be beneficial to Aspies. I know from experience. However, the downside of that is our unregulated system of use. As well as growth and distribution not being regulated well. Living in a place were it is illegal makes it difficult, but it's relatively easy. I use to be on 4 different madications. I know that says "mad", because they drove me to madness. After 3 years, I sought out alternative means of finding some way to get by without killing myself. Because that is what the previous medication was doing. I agree that diet and food allergies play a role in dealing with depression. I've gone gluten and lactose free and feel much better. After quitting my medication I was having full body tremors for a week. Until one of my good friend brought over some bud for me. 5 minutes after I smoked the tremors subsided. I was still twitching a little, but it was tolerable. That's one experience. I have many more positive experiences to out way the bad side effects. The fear of lung cancer is a joke. Eat it. I've backed it in to some gluten-free chocolate chip oatmeal cookies... Heaven! So, I defiantly don't think smoking cannabis hurts us Aspies. It takes getting over a fear and stigma, and getting to know the effects, and learn how to add in certain things to help keep those negative side effects at bay. Very easy by the way. Neutropics really help with the mind and creating new neural connections in the brain. Alpha Brain is an effective one. As far as the IQ thing goes... The only people who had low IQ's while "stoned" were people with already low IQ's. For me, Cannabis use is part of my of my life. It helps me calm my mind. Here is a little piece of something I'm working on. So, be mindful it's a small snippet from something bigger.

Autistic people have trouble being public speakers, or maintaining close personal relationships. Even though we long to have them. We draw inspiration from them. We make great writers who can inspire nations. We are some of the worlds greatest mathematicians, and quantum physicist. Because we are aware of so much. It makes it very difficult to not be over whelmed. When I say cannabis makes me feel normal. I mean it allows me to maintain a filter on what I am aware of. More than that, not get overwhelmed when the filter has been overrun. My writing becomes more fluid and much easier to put on paper. Even though sometimes I might stop mid sentence and forget what I'm writing about. When that happens. I've learned to just let it go. I know from experience now that it will come back. It's just my mind telling me to take a break, and do something else. Thats probably why I also have a lot of writings started, but no where near finished.... It just happened again. ;

Not all drugs mask the problem. Sometimes they go hand in hand with help solving the problem. The right medication and coping skills can do wonders for someone. Yes recovering from any mental health issues take lots of hard work and dedication and sometimes medication. But that is true that not all people need medication. That is not true that medications make it worse it can help. Not every person gets addicted to medications either.

I have a question for you Dragonstooth would you say the same thing about my asthma medication? If I didn't take it I would probably die of an asthma attack. I don't want that. It helps me a lot. But I don't think I am being harmed by something that will save my life. Same goes for Mental health meds to a degree. Would you say the same thing to someone who had diabetes? They need insulin to live would you say they are addicted to insulin because it helps them from dying of too high sugars? I am just curious.

Well...these two things are not in the same category. If I had zero mental health medicines because it's the year 5,000 B.C. I would be alive and well, able to observe stealthily and make my move when I feel the time is right (lone wolf vs pack maybe?) On the other hand...if you had asthma during this same time period...you're already dead. See? My "disorder" has benefits which should declassify it from being a disorder, it's rather...an adaptation. The same thing goes for diabetes, (which likely wouldn't exist). In the year 5,000 BC the fact is aspies would excel in many ways as the conditions you've compared it to are illnesses with no benefit that would ultimately result in death.

Well...these two things are not in the same category. If I had zero mental health medicines because it's the year 5,000 B.C. I would be alive and well, able to observe stealthily and make my move when I feel the time is right (lone wolf vs pack maybe?) On the other hand...if you had asthma during this same time period...you're already dead. See? My "disorder" has benefits which should declassify it from being a disorder, it's rather...an adaptation. The same thing goes for diabetes, (which likely wouldn't exist). In the year 5,000 BC the fact is aspies would excel in many ways as the conditions you've compared it to are illnesses with no benefit that would ultimately result in death.

I am correcting myself in stating that my disorder should be declassified as such; after looking at the simple definition of disorder it means nothing more than different. So yes, it is a disorder that gifts beneficial traits in many ways.

I've been smoking for over 5 years, and for the most part have used it medicinally (self prescribed) for my insomnia that has plagued me since I was a girl. Occasionally it gets brought into the artistic process with beautiful results, but only if done occasionally. Now that I live with a complete pothead in a state where recreational use has been legalized I'd definitely consider myself a daily smoker, although I find that I don't like using it daily. It slows me down a little too much in larger amounts and I find that I lose productivity when doing it too much. It makes a good cover for why I don't talk in a group though, and everyone else is so stoned that they don't notice when I talk or don't talk, or when I screw up reactions (example, if they start telling me a sad story they don't seem to mind so much if I'm smiling. Blame it on the Mary Jane!)
I've considered whether it has anything to do with my AS, and have cut back since I made my Asperlation (revelation, asperlation, does anyone else find that clever?) but have found that there's no difference between a stoned Fox and a sober Fox in that regard; I'm still Aspie, pot or not! But that's the funny thing about weed, is that it affects people differently. I know some people who only get energized when they smoke; alternatively I know chatterboxes that shut up completely. I'm glad to hear it has helped you, camdengolf, and maybe some fellow Aspie's could benefit from it, but everyone remember, just because one Aspie has positive results doesn't mean we all will.
P.S. Those looking to solve the carcinogen problem; edibles. Pot itself doesn't cause cancer, but the carcinogens you get from smoking it can (but I must point out that it is significantly LESS dangerous than cigarettes, unless of course you're smoking 20 joints a day. If you're smoking out of a pipe, you're getting just as high and inhaling much less.) so edibles are a safer way to enjoy miss Mary Jane. You can look up millions of recipies on Google, but your best bet is to make Cannabis Butter. It can be used to substitute for regular butter in any recipe and is extremely simple to make. (Not sure of forum rules on this one, considering it's still illegal in 48 of the United States, I'm going to let those interested find a recipe on Google themselves.)

Funny how it's actually the only thing that ever helped me quit smoking cigarettes successfully (7 weeks in, but the thought of smoking a filthy ciggie makes me gag now) and I'm someone who's used patches, gum, candy, every trick in the book to quit.

It's just a matter of doing your homework and making sure you're reading reliable unbiased sources. Most people don't consider the legitimacy of the studies they read, or the sources they get them from when they're choosing one side or the other. We should probably focus more on teaching people that, because that goes for any study/news story/etc. that you read as well.

I used to smoke cigz too. When ever I would smoke weed though. Just the slightest hint of ciggarette smoke would make me gag. I had no trouble quitting cigz on weed. I don't really smoke a lot either. Lately I've been going through a little more than I usually do, an 1/8th a week, but I'm trying to cut back now. Some consider cannabis a crutch, but the thing about crutches are they help you to stand on your own two feet with the hopes of not needing them any more. Isn't that how any medication is suppose to be? These modern day madications make you dependent on the medication to were you can't do with out it. I can do with out weed if I have to. It won't hurt me. I'd just wrather not.

It seems that weed would be more helpful for people with ADHD, it seems it can make some of the Asperger's symptoms worse :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Epath13, I have experienced those effects that have made my symptoms worse. However different types of cannabis has different effect on me. The same weed also can have different effects depending on the person. What it comes down to is. States such as Colorado and Washington, who attempting to set up a safe place for people who are searching for alternative means of medication. We need a regulated system to justify cannabis use. Without it your just playing roullete. Just like you can smoke one type to help you sleep, and another to help you focus and want to go out and expend energy. Cannabis strains are as unique as the individual who seeks them out. It does take trial and error to find something that works, but isn't that the case with any medication?

I use marijuana occaisonally. I usually like to get high and then go on a bike ride. I think I'm better at biking when I'm stoned since I don't notice when I'm getting tired as much and I can push myself harder. While I don't consider my personal use medicinal, I'm considering getting a medical card since I live in California and it's easy to do that there. I think that it's totally ridicuous that marijuana is illegal. There have been no deaths attributed to it and it doesn't cause cancer (inhalation of smoke can cause both though). One thing that I've noticed is that when I'm stoned, I really don't want to be around other people, but that's usually fixable.

To those worried about marijuana smoke and cancer: Use a vaporizer or make edibles. Problem solved.

I like a page on Facebook that is called "I ****ing love science" and one of their posts for "this week in science" included a study that claimed cannabis opens the parts of the brain that autism would normally close. I think this deserves more research. Also the Federal US government released a study that proved cannabis will turn active cancer cells inactive when in the same Petri dish.

I like a page on Facebook that is called "I ****ing love science" and one of their posts for "this week in science" included a study that claimed cannabis opens the parts of the brain that autism would normally close. I think this deserves more research. Also the Federal US government released a study that proved cannabis will turn active cancer cells inactive when in the same Petri dish.

Can you post a link to the study?

To those worried about marijuana smoke and cancer: Use a vaporizer or make edibles. Problem solved.

Face palming. I owned a vaporizer until about a week ago. Made my lungs feel way better than smoking. Why didn't I think of that??

Also, I stumbled upon this article while I was trying to find the articles that kimical was referring to, and felt it should be posted and addressed just so everyone is aware. Synthetic Weed is suggested as an alternative to marijuana (Mitt Romney suggested synthetic weed to a man with cerebal palsy during his campaign), but it's dangerous. It screws with your mind and body to a severe degree, as you'll see below. I can also say from first hand experience that it can be addicting as well, so read the article and don't do synthetic drugs!!

Article About Synth Weed and How It Ruined A Teenage Girl

Can you post a link to the study?

sure. I believe I found the study the facebook page was talking about here. Some people on the facebook page thought it meant that people with autism couldn't get high but that is not what the study is saying at all. It means the cannabinoids open the places that autism closes, so cannabis is a possible treatment for it.

As for the federal government study here. I believe the government is trying to prove what others have been saying for years in order for them to legalize it. I think they are doing this because of what they see happening in Colorado and Washington.

sure. I believe I found the study the facebook page was talking about here. Some people on the facebook page thought it meant that people with autism couldn't get high but that is not what the study is saying at all. It means the cannabinoids open the places that autism closes, so cannabis is a possible treatment for it.

As for the federal government study here. I believe the government is trying to prove what others have been saying for years in order for them to legalize it. I think they are doing this because of what they see happening in Colorado and Washington.

Thanks for the interesting read. It seems that the study on endocannabinoids is currently inconclusive, but could be promising.

I remember reading somewhere that back when marijuana was initially made illegal, there was an in depth study done on the effects of stuff and it showed that it wasn't that bad. This infuriated Harry Anslinger, who was instrumental in making weed illegal in the first place. Now, it seems like they are saying what's pretty much been known all along.

BTW, if anyone wants the scientific paper in Neuron, I have the full pdf on my computer. Paywalls for scientific papers suck, but fortunately I have two legal ways of getting papers for free.

New Threads

Top Bottom