• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asking aspie out?

Confused, why me? Why in her right mind would she want someone like me?
Only a certain type of girl ask me out and express interest in me and, well I don't go out with those sorts.

Thank you for all your replies, you deserve a medal for putting up with all these love struck NT women. Last question! If I let him know with words that I want to date him and then hand him my number, would he understand that I want him to call me? Or would I need to actually say/write the words "Call me"?

What I mean is, would it be too unspecific otherwise?

Hahahah! If he were my Aspie BF, saying "Call me!" would piss him off. Because it's a "directive".... grrrrrr.... (He considers this impolite and "barking orders" at him. News to me!)

Ummmm...okay.
How about, "I'd love for you to call me so we could go out on a date sometime!"
Or even better, "If you think it would be nice, would you consider giving me a call so we could go on a date sometime?"

I think it's funny that our first kiss was a result of me longing for him to kiss me all night and him not taking the lead. So I leaned over, looked into his eyes, and said "You HAVE to kiss me now...." Looking back I'm lucky he didn't say "Don't tell me what to do!!!" ;)

It all worked out in the end though, because he wanted to kiss me too and was able to put his quirk about it on the back burner for the sake of love.... !

Thank you for all your replies, you deserve a medal for putting up with all these love struck NT women. Last question! If I let him know with words that I want to date him and then hand him my number, would he understand that I want him to call me? Or would I need to actually say/write the words "Call me"?

What I mean is, would it be too unspecific otherwise?

I wrote an email the first time asking to go out for lunch on a specific day and it took weeks to respond even though we saw each other from time to time in between. Even then, he confirmed at the last minute to my utter surprise when he finally did. I found on other outings and invites he needs time to process the idea. And the first time I asked to kiss him, he turned me down, even though it was just a joking little under the mistletoe kind of thing. Weeks later I kissed him very very gently and did it twice in a row and he was okay ... but on the third try he turned his head. I was offended the first time when he turned me down but was persistent ... and believed that he wanted to but was somehow just too shy or bewildered. It is is still very very slow going and it has been over a year!

Thanks guys, really interesting reading about your experiences. I still haven't done anything at all because tbh right now his behaviour is just making it IMPOSSIBLE to believe he would have any feelings at all for me, it is as he ignores me, in fact he even turned around and walked the other direction when seeing me coming down the corridor at campus. The thought of telling him how I feel about him seems ridiculous, how can I approach him when his attitude is completely cold and just generally "leave me alone I dont care about you" He still looks at me and says hi when we bump into each other before classes there are NO smiles anymore. So weird... one moment he actively seeks me out and the next avoids me

Please, explain more! Would you still sense there was an attraction, just not know what to do? Or would you not sense the attraction at all?
I would get confused between
  1. polite friendliness,
  2. playful flirting, &
  3. flirting in earnest
(and would usually guess wrong).

I met and got to know my wife through group church activities. (I always thought that she was pretty.) Having gotten to know her that way, first, I had a better read of her intentions, when she finally expressed her attraction for me.

I regularly visited her at her family home, but we never went on a just-us-two date until after we were married.

Last edited:
I would get confused between
  1. polite friendliness,
  2. playful flirting, &
  3. flirting in earnest
(and would usually guess wrong).

Is that so Crossbreed... very interesting. Thanks! I can see how getting to know your wife well as friends first was helpful.

Well, still haven't had the courage to tell him. Somebody responded above to steer clear of too grandious stuff.. got me thinking.. if you were hanging out with a girl or walking by or something.. and she scribbled down something and gave to you and it said something like "just want to tell you I think you are gorgeous" how would you react to that? Would it be a definete "dont know what is expecteted of me or what to do, best not to anything"... or would you actually approach her and/or try to initiate something with her after that? That is, if the girl was someone you had had interest in and some looks, smiling etc prior to this but didn't know or were confused about if she liked you in that way? Would something like that be enough or would it still be too unclear/confusing?

Sorry, last question, promise

I'm aspie and my husband is NT. He chased me for a long time before I acknowledged him and he said I ran cold a lot. Some of the things that worked and eventually caught my attention were:
  • He pointed out that our skill mix would be logistically convenient
  • He said that "after much consideration I am led to believe that our DNA is compatible for breeding purposes".
  • He gave me a lift when my car broke and he bled my radiators
Apparently he didn't mean any of it, but learnt to talk my language. After pushing hard and making his intentions clear, this eventually convinced me that a union would be mutually beneficial.

Oh dear love with aspies.

Is that so Crossbreed... very interesting. Thanks! I can see how getting to know your wife well as friends first was helpful.

Well, still haven't had the courage to tell him. Somebody responded above to steer clear of too grandious stuff.. got me thinking.. if you were hanging out with a girl or walking by or something.. and she scribbled down something and gave to you and it said something like "just want to tell you I think you are gorgeous" how would you react to that? Would it be a definete "dont know what is expecteted of me or what to do, best not to anything"... or would you actually approach her and/or try to initiate something with her after that? That is, if the girl was someone you had had interest in and some looks, smiling etc prior to this but didn't know or were confused about if she liked you in that way? Would something like that be enough or would it still be too unclear/confusing?

Sorry, last question, promise

I have a friend, he is generally terrified of women and has said he would hide if he was at a singles event with a lot of women ... and has gone so far as to tell me too many women are all ugly and over-sexed. I was rather over-whelmed by that comment, but on more reflection and having read many posts here, realized that this comment was likely more about the inability to read intent, to have made some faulty decisions on what to act on in the past and the inevitable rejection that followed.

He said he has "standards" concerning the women he will date ... again, very specific views of what the appearance is of the woman he would date ... he has thought he has found the perfect woman a couple of times, based solely on appearance and a couple of dates. I have been suspicious that this appearance based decision making has come about due his last failed relationship; wherein a very attractive woman left him after a lengthy relationship ... and he cannot understand yet what happened. As a result, he wants to replace that person in his life with someone similar? Perhaps someone can comment on this.

But I know, meanwhile ... that he would need a very special kind of woman, with a special kind of nature, to nurture a relationship since these rigid thoughts are in his head and I am not sure that they can be overcome ...

As a result, in answer to your question, you will have to do some detective work, patiently, as a friend. It will become apparent to you as a friend what he thinks of his past, his future and his desires. Your romantic intentions would likely be best kept under wraps.

I wish I could tell you whether starting a friendship with your love interest could move into a romantic relationship or not.

Maybe someone here could comment on this ... in the NT world, many many wonderful relationships have started out with people who were friends first and who didn't see each other as sexual partners, but in time the love developed. Would this Aspie man be able to connect the dots with you over time ... and start to see you as a love interest, even if you started out as friends?

I would not worry about you being attractive enough, or enough of anything ... just being confident, patient and kind is "enough" ... you have to decide if he's enough for you ... overtime ... if you proceed.

if you were hanging out with a girl or walking by or something.. and she scribbled down something and gave to you and it said something like "just want to tell you I think you are gorgeous" how would you react to that?
[If I was still single] I would
  • be flattered,
  • consider my general attraction to her (visually and, especially, pheromonally),
  • (if my attraction is strong enough) begin to size up her personality.
For #2, I have no set ideal. I have been attracted to women with different looks, so it is a case-by-case basis. Extra points for favorable pheromones! If I'm not attracted to her, it has nothing to do with her worthiness. It is just that there is not enough chemistry between us and it would feel like striving.

For #3 (even with good chemistry), a significantly incompatible personality would be a deal-breaker. In a marriage (even if we were great in bed), we would have to live well with each other the rest of the time, too. Do we still enjoy each other's company once our sexual needs are met? Do we form a unit?

I'm aspie and my husband is NT. He chased me for a long time before I acknowledged him and he said I ran cold a lot. Some of the things that worked and eventually caught my attention were:
  • He pointed out that our skill mix would be logistically convenient
  • He said that "after much consideration I am led to believe that our DNA is compatible for breeding purposes".
  • He gave me a lift when my car broke and he bled my radiators
Apparently he didn't mean any of it, but learnt to talk my language. After pushing hard and making his intentions clear, this eventually convinced me that a union would be mutually beneficial.

Oh dear love with aspies.

That is awesome actually.... I want to learn to talk this language too now!

I have a friend, he is generally terrified of women and has said he would hide if he was at a singles event with a lot of women ... and has gone so far as to tell me too many women are all ugly and over-sexed. I was rather over-whelmed by that comment, but on more reflection and having read many posts here, realized that this comment was likely more about the inability to read intent, to have made some faulty decisions on what to act on in the past and the inevitable rejection that followed.

He said he has "standards" concerning the women he will date ... again, very specific views of what the appearance is of the woman he would date ... he has thought he has found the perfect woman a couple of times, based solely on appearance and a couple of dates. I have been suspicious that this appearance based decision making has come about due his last failed relationship; wherein a very attractive woman left him after a lengthy relationship ... and he cannot understand yet what happened. As a result, he wants to replace that person in his life with someone similar? Perhaps someone can comment on this.

But I know, meanwhile ... that he would need a very special kind of woman, with a special kind of nature, to nurture a relationship since these rigid thoughts are in his head and I am not sure that they can be overcome ...

As a result, in answer to your question, you will have to do some detective work, patiently, as a friend. It will become apparent to you as a friend what he thinks of his past, his future and his desires. Your romantic intentions would likely be best kept under wraps.

I wish I could tell you whether starting a friendship with your love interest could move into a romantic relationship or not.

Maybe someone here could comment on this ... in the NT world, many many wonderful relationships have started out with people who were friends first and who didn't see each other as sexual partners, but in time the love developed. Would this Aspie man be able to connect the dots with you over time ... and start to see you as a love interest, even if you started out as friends?

I would not worry about you being attractive enough, or enough of anything ... just being confident, patient and kind is "enough" ... you have to decide if he's enough for you ... overtime ... if you proceed.

Thanks Paitlyn. I would have done the friend thing. I know what you mean with that. It is better in many ways. But next week is the last time I will see him, and likely that will be ever.

[If I was still single] I would
  • be flattered,
  • consider my general attraction to her (visually and, especially, pheromonally),
  • (if my attraction is strong enough) begin to size up her personality.
For #2, I have no set ideal. I have been attracted to women with different looks, so it is a case-by-case basis. Extra points for favorable pheromones! If I'm not attracted to her, it has nothing to do with her worthiness. It is just that there is not enough chemistry between us and it would feel like striving.

For #3 (even with good chemistry), a significantly incompatible personality would be a deal-breaker. In a marriage (even if we were great in bed), we would have to live well with each other the rest of the time, too. Do we still enjoy each other's company once our sexual needs are met? Do we form a unit?

Thanks Crossbreed. Great insight. So is it correctly understood that you would definetely "get it" ie understand she has romantic interest and wants to date you?

Yes the compatible personalities... he is super smart. Always scared he thinks I am too stupid. But we share some interests, I try and talk to him about them and ask him questions.... thinking he will feel smart and good about himself.. but he might just think "wow she is stupid"

he is super smart. Always scared he thinks I am too stupid. But we share some interests, I try and talk to him about them and ask him questions.... thinking he will feel smart and good about himself.. but he might just think "wow she is stupid"
Some IQ differences shouldn't be a problem. (If they are too big, there may be some communication difficulties.) Shared world view & life goals would be more important.

Also, if he has serious "mom/women" issues or you have serious "dad/men" issues, that could create problems. (Being horny tends to mask both of them.)

(Also, most gifted people don't need excessive affirmation of their "smartness." It feels like we're being put on a pedestal and we'd much rather be able to easily connect with the other person.)

Last edited:
So is it correctly understood that you would definetely "get it" ie understand she has romantic interest and wants to date you?
A scribbled note isn't as ambiguous as my previous examples.

The new issue for me, is that I wouldn't respond to her invitation as an NT would. I would be cautiously optimistic, but not many NT women seem to have the patience to wait out that caution.

Me saying "Yes" too soon might be a commitment to a bad relationship. (Her attraction to me is not enough.)

Saying "No" too soon could prematurely end an otherwise awesome relationship.

If I don't know her, the best that I can offer is that, yes, I am interested, but I cannot make any promises, yet. Some women are cool with that. Others, not so much.

Last edited:
consider my general attraction to her (visually and, especially, pheromonally),

gee, I am at loss Crossbreed ... pheromonal attraction ... I think I am not sure what you mean ... do you mean plain old sexual attraction ... or something more?

gee, I am at loss Crossbreed ... pheromonal attraction ... I think I am not sure what you mean ... do you mean plain old sexual attraction ... or something more?
Say you are in a room that includes two (new-to-you) men who are equally friendly toward you. You notice that Alan has more movie-star looks, but you feel more giddy around Bob.

Research (and my personal experience) suggests that you are responding favorably to Bob's pheromones. And that all humans emit them.

They can evoke:
  • Sexual attraction: these may indicate a good genetic match,
  • Meh: neither attracted nor repulsed (common between family members), &
  • Sexual repulsion: a bad genetic match.
(Such attraction for others is really awkward after being married.
embarassed_orig.gif
)

Last edited:
Crossbreed you are a goldmine! A gift from above! (You all are) And well I feel definetely extremely giddy around him.. hard to tell if he feels giddy around me as he has that stone face look but he has sought me out on several occasions, gives great big smiles when he says hi (which he doesn't do with others) and the general atmosphere when we are in a room together is (at least to me) very tense and nervous.. there has been moments which, with any other guy I have known, would have been crystal clear romantic moments/flirting. On the other hand. He has also been known to turn around and quickly walk in opposite direction when he has seen me and once stopped at the doorway and RAN out from a room when he noticed I was the only one in there. Good or bad sign? Aspie thing? Just not that into me?

On the other hand. He has also been known to turn around and quickly walk in opposite direction when he has seen me and once stopped at the doorway and RAN out from a room when he noticed I was the only one in there. Good or bad sign? Aspie thing? Just not that into me?
I'm sorry. I do not know. We feel emotions like everyone else does, but sometimes we temporarily set them aside.

New Threads

Top Bottom