• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ask, and ye shall receive!

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
The good news is that after almost a couple years, I've had the fortune of someone finally accepting a job application. That's the good news.

..the bad news, if I can look a gift horse in the mouth, is that it's retail. I worked in retail all throughout college and beyond, and it got me to where I needed to be, so in a way I'm grateful. Yes, I'll miss out on spending days bonding with my fiancee and retail may give me burnout and sensory issues, making me withdrawn and monstrous, but it's a need right now. Plus they'll adhere to my need of part-time days (hopefully four-hour shifts) so maybe things won't be too bad.

I didn't disclose my autism at all during the hiring process, as I felt this would have barred me the job, despite the fact that I worked for the company for four years. But my experience lead them to want to hire me. Granted, it's still up to me to accept the job once they tell me the rate of pay...

Granted, I quite honestly wouldn't be where I am today without retail (and yes, the includes the diagnosis, as burnout from my last job caused me to get diagnosed initially).

take care, everyone!

That's great news :) Sorry that it may be a detrimental environment, but I'm sure it's a relief to have a job. I hope it works out.

Congratulations. I admire your grit, you understand your limits and you know the job will probably burn you, but sometimes you just have to get up and do what needs to be done.

Great that you found a way to fill this need in your life. You never know, every environment and the dynamics of the people there will be different. Plus, you are a new person now with more understanding of yourself and possibly better ways to manage environmental stressors. You already know to approach this carefully and keep your peace of mind in tact, so maybe it won’t be as soul sucking as it could be.

Good luck if you accept the job offer.

I learned early on that I was at my best in technical fields working with Engineering, Regulatory or Operations. So there was little stress on me interacting with people. My contributions were significant enough that I was allowed to define my role.

Last edited:
Congratulations and wish you success.
Take it easy and maybe it won't burn you as much as you think.

Good luck if you accept the job offer.

I learned early on that I was at my best in technical fields working with Engineering, Regulatory or Operations. So there was little stress on me interacting with people. My contributions were significant enough that I was allowed to define my role.

Same. Nobody's inviting me to meetings or even seriously asking for my input, but if they need someone to scrutinize the paperwork they know where to find me.

New Threads

Top Bottom